MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

drumrunner still here....

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sam Jones Methodist Evangelist told the story of being on a Pullman traveling one night after a tiring meeting. A young child was crying and keeping every one awake. He wanted to say something to the father, but thought better of it. Soon, one man unable to take it, hollered at the man and said, "Master, for God's sake, why don't you take the baby to his mother and let the rest of us get some sleep?" The man replied sobbing, "Sir, I'm sorry. I wish her mother could, but she is in a casket, in the baggage coach."

The complaining man got out of his berth, kneeled beside the father and said he was sorry, and offer to take the child and let the father get some sleep.

Edited by drumrunner

Great story Drumrunner!

I often tell my son that we never know what someone else is going through. We can't always tell just by looking at them. When I get impatient with people in stores or driving etc. I try to stop and wonder if maybe they are sick or in pain. Or maybe one of their loved ones is sick or in the hospital. Or maybe there is divorce, drugs or abuse in their family that they are worried about. Maybe they are worried about losing their job. Maybe they too are about to 'snap.'

It's a good thought to practice but far too often I fall short...way short.

Each person we meet is going through *something*, and it's important to treat each other gently when we can. Especially on the internet where we can't *see* the other person's face, to know what they mean.

drumrunner, thanks SO MUCH for the cd. My DH asked what in the WORLD was I getting from some guy???? :Blushing:

:bouquet:

:lol: Cat. Yeah, that CD is chock full of reference materials. Where there is no doc....etc. I've got some other stuff like that....I should consolidate onto a CD or thumb drive thingie.

So how are you doing, Drumrunner?

MtRider :pray:

:lol: Cat. Yeah, that CD is chock full of reference materials. Where there is no doc....etc. I've got some other stuff like that....I should consolidate onto a CD or thumb drive thingie.

So how are you doing, Drumrunner?

MtRider :pray:

I'm doing well. MT. Radiation treatment is finally finished and now it's a "wait and see" situation (according to the doctors) to see what the outcome will be; except I'm not waiting very much! I decided awhile ago, to enjoy every day to the absolute fullest and treat it as if it would be the last day of my life in this world. So, with that in mind, I have done and/or experienced the following;

1. Turned the TV OFF. except for briefly watching the "local news", and even that time is becoming more of an annoyance than any help.

2. Took my Mrs camping for a few days, so far into the mountains that there was not even a cell phone signal! No internet, newspaper, phone, email or TV. Just a lot of quiet. The only reading material I took with us was my Bible, and boy did I get some studying done!!

3. My sister and her three young children came out to Colorado to visit for a week. I had totally forgotten that children can be loud, messy. creative, adorable, loving, argumentative, quiet, beautiful, inquisitive, sensitive, and capable of completely stealing my heart. They left this morning for Arizona, and my house is much too still now.

4. Discovered that when one is driving in the mountains and happens to come upon a moose grazing, it is a really bad idea to honk at it. This startles the moose and irritates my wife who wanted to take a picture of it.

• 1 month later...

Thought I ought to check in and relay a little news. After all the treatments and tests, my doctor call me late yesterday afternoon and let me know that my PSA level (prostate specific antigens) has dropped like a rock! Initially it was at 37 (30 is considered extreme indicating lively cancer), if I remember correctly "normal" is 0 to 2. My PSA as of yesterday is 00.4!!!!!!!!!!

A slight "WHOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!!!" and tap dance is in order I believe :yum3: .

You deserve it Drumrunner. That is WONDERFUL news. Still keeping you in my prayers.

By the way, One of your CD's changed a family member totally around. Thank you so much for giving them the oppertunity to open their eyes.

:bighug2:

You deserve it Drumrunner. That is WONDERFUL news. Still keeping you in my prayers.

By the way, One of your CD's changed a family member totally around. Thank you so much for giving them the oppertunity to open their eyes.

:bighug2:

Glad to hear it! Now the effort I put in on the CD was worth it. Thanks to everyone for the prayers and well wishes, if the PSA reading continues to stay low I may have a good chance of being around several more years vs the original 12 to 18 month estimate (which did NOT amuse me much).

Interesting tidbit, One of the side effects from the cancer treatment is sudden and extreme exhaustion, quite noticeable and annoying at first. The doctor quite plainly told me that this was my "new normal", being tired ALL the time. However I can easily manage to take more naps if the cancer is being soundly thrashed.

<I suppose running 26 mile marathons is probably no longer an option, so I'll settle for 26 yard walks!>

As one who's dealt with MS for several decades, I can tell you with complete confidence.....FATIGUE, even severe, is survivable. :curtsey:

Sometimes it's not fun. The term 'new normal' is one to cling to.... Let go of what you usta could do. :wave:

But.....there is SO much you still CAN do.

Not trying to cheat your New Normal will, when the columns are tallies, give you more in the end. :busted: {ask me how I know}

MtRider :thumbs::amen:

As one who's dealt with MS for several decades, I can tell you with complete confidence.....FATIGUE, even severe, is survivable. :curtsey:

Sometimes it's not fun. The term 'new normal' is one to cling to.... Let go of what you usta could do. :wave:

But.....there is SO much you still CAN do.

Not trying to cheat your New Normal will, when the columns are tallies, give you more in the end. :busted: {ask me how I know}

MtRider :thumbs::amen:

Wise advice, MT. My fatigue is cured by naps, lots and lots of naps! It is a HUGE burden off my mind to know that the cancer is getting a daily beating and my chances to live a longer, productive live are much higher than this time last year. And you are also correct about adjusting to the new-normal, in fact I'v already started! I had the great opportunity to teach some of our kids in VBS last month, write a great deal more, camp with the Mrs., and talk with others who are going through their own battle with cancer.

In a way, this has been a blessing in disguise. I have been brought to a place where I had to face the fact of my own mortality and deal with it. For me, It has brought into crystal clear focus the things which are important; the love that my wife and I have for each other, service to the Church, my family and friends, performing better for my employer, seeing and helping those in need or just being available to talk when someone is down. These things count.

What does NOT count is buying more "stuff", having useless emotions such as anger, self pity, envy or apathy. I have no use for these especially now that I may have a little more time here on planet earth to invest well.

I want to thank each one of you here on the forum for your prayers and expressions of concern for me during this small trial. Even though I have never seen your faces (and you have not seen mine), we share a friendship. Thank you all.

Larry (aka Drumrunner)

The encouragement you give through your testimony is, in itself, a blessing to others. :hug3:

You'd be a fascinating male "blogger". So many of today's world-minded people think a Christian is less than wise and "manly".

Thank You, God, for allowing our friend to not only open his eyes to Your blessings, but to share with us here. :pray: