MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Brands of canners...

I've been seeing people mention alot lately, concerns over whether to get a Mirro or Presto or All American canner.

Over the years, we've discussed alot about how many of us like the All American canners. They really ARE tanks, and I personally like them for a variety of reasons.

My concern however, is that I don't want people to misunderstand. Having a Mirro or Presto canner vs an All American canner is JUST FINE! Just because someone might not have an All American canner doesn't mean that they can't can up a storm, successfully and safely.

When I first learned how to can, I had my mom's old Sears canner. We did hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of quarts of tomatoes...I did meats in that canner, etc 7 quarts at a time. I lost that canner in a house fire and when I started to shop around for a new canner, since I'm so ridiculous, I searched for the biggest canner they made, which is how I found the All Americans. I have 2 canners that do 19 quarts/32 pints at a time because that is how *I* can. I never do anything small...it's difficult to lug that thing around empty and virtually impossible to lift it with water...forget trying to move it when it's full.

I still have my grandma's canner. I'd hafta go look and see what brand it is, because it's a brand that I've never heard of. It has to be at least 70 years old. One of the handles on the lid broke sometime over the years when my grandmother had it, and my grandfather built an identical handle, but out of wood, as a replacement. Some day I'm going to can in that canner because I'm sentimental, because I know all the years and thousands of jars she processed through it...my mom still talks about how when she was a little girl, helping grandma can with that canner, so I want my generation to put a batch through that canner so that the legacy lives on. Silly, I know, but that's me.

So anyway, time is running short. Now is not the time to worry about brands, it's the time to be concerned about accumulating this type of equipment that will serve everyone well for many years to come. If all someone can do is get a used canner that is in good working order, SNATCH IT UP! It doesn't matter...all that matters is that it will hold the pressure and heat to safely can your foods.

If anyone ever has questions as to the details surrounding a particular canner, please ask...there are so many of us that having a wealth of experience that we're more than happy to pass forward to others.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose I ought to get my AA up and running. I have deferred doing that expense, since I have a working Presto. But I have a tiny of discretionary $$ now and ought to take the plunge.

I'm so glad you posted this, I was about to search for another thread I'd seen that recommended the All-American.

There have been two things keeping me from canning before (if you don't count general procrastination and lack of knowledge!) - a fear of poisoning my entire family, which I think I'm getting over, after reading more, and an exploding canner. I know, I read the reassurances and precautions, but I can't get the idea out of my head. I have similar issues with gas stoves. In fact, when I was a kid, while visiting my aunt, one of her neighbors was canning on a gas stove, and there was an explosion, so I have that association with both to this day. Aggh! But I'm determined to do this...

So far, I like what I have read about the AAs, and not having to replace a gasket, plus all of those clamps look reassuring. laugh If I can find one for a decent price, or decide to just go for it, is there a certain model/size I should watch for? Do they all have the weight, in addition to the dial gauge? Is it a bad idea to buy one on ebay? LOL, can you tell that I am clueless?

The new All American do have both the weights and a gauge. However, if it has the old petcock, you can buy a new stem and the weight for it. I recently did that to my friends canner. All their parts are interchangeable. I contacted AA before I ordered the parts.

The only thing with getting one online is just in case someone boiled it dry and warped the bottom, then it is worthless.

The only reason folks explode them is if they just walk off and leave it on high. Nowdays they have a safety plug that will blow first. They really are safe if you follow the directions.

Same with anything in life, like driving a car. You can drive safely or drive recklessly.

I recommend one at least large enough to stack 2 layers of pints. I like the 22/23 quart sized canner. ( how much water they hold, not how many jars.)

You won't poison your family unless you can things not safe to can in the first place, like milk,cheese, butter, eggs, things with thickeners, noodles, rice, barley, bacon, oil in foods, etc.

That, or try to take a shortcut and not process for the proper length of time. If you follow the recipes and methods from either Ball Blue Book or any of the USDA/ University extension publications you will be safe.

There are quite a few of us here that have canned for years. Never any food borne illnesses. I have canned for 35 years now.

Violet, you said barley wasn't safe to can. Does that include a handful of the quick cook kind? I was going to throw some in the pot with stew or veggie soup. I like the different texture of barley. It would amount to about a tsp. per quart. The same thing with rice?

Oh, and I guess you can't safely can chicken broth with rice in it either? Like the watery Campbell soup type?

Sorry for the hijack!

No, no and no Jeepers lolol...

No rice, no barley, etc etc etc...but you can always put the rice, barley, etc., in the pot when you go to heat up your quart or pint of soup. That's what I do with my chicken soup. I get a pot, put some dry noodles on the bottom, pour the soup over it, and simmer it on low for about 10 min. This heats up the soup and cooks the noodles and puts any commercially prepared soups to shame.

I'm glad you started this thread. I've been thinking of getting an AA, but that cost... Anyone have a link to a comparison of the various brands? Maybe which have gaskets, which have guages, etc.

This year we move and start a garden. Time to get a canner and get some practice.

DH just asked me what I wanted for my birthday- those AA's sure look good....

I have an old Mirro M-0512 12 QU my awesome boss passed on to me a few years ago.

But as I would like to get into canning more seriously this year.....and DH is offering.... What do you think of the AA 921?

Evergreen, I have the 921 also and it's a great mid sized canner. It'll process 7 quarts or 19 pints which is awesome. If I had to suggest one size from the AA line it would definitely be the 921.

Before I got my AA, I canned on my Grandmother In Laws canner! I was so lucky to have it!

It has a Marmin Clamp! like a collar that goes around the pot and lid. It has a petcock.

I love it! it is the one I keep under my cupboard and use almost daily to can leftovers... only being able to handle 5 quarts.

I don't even know the brand name... but it works great!

The reason barley and rice, etc. are not safe to add is not only the ph of them, but they are considered thickeners. They do thicken the foods.

Add them after opening, when you heat them to serve them. Pasta and instant rice are especially easy to add to soups once opened as they cook quickly.

I have old Mirro, Sears, Presto, and was given an old AA. I like them all, and have no problems with them, except for the gasket wearing out. Like Darlene, the old Presto (my grandmother's) had a broken handle and my Daddy made a wooden one.

Okay, I think I am about ready to take the plunge and go after an AA. I've noticed that amazon.com has them listed as being made/sold by Wisconsin Aluminum Foundry. But they also have Wisconsins that don't say All-American, unless you read the description. They sometimes have one or the other in stock, and also, the price on the 25qt AA is the same as that on the 21qt (marked only Wisconsin). Should I go for the bigger model if they get some in this week? In the picture, the 25qt has the regulator weight, the 21.5 seems to have the valve.

You can process 7 quarts/19 pints in the 921 or the 925...there is no difference there. The only difference is the 925 is a little bit bigger, which means a little bit heavier, so that'll be a personal preference.

For me, I can't think of any advantage I'd get from the 925 over the 921, but perhaps someone else might have a reason.

The Wisconsin Aluminum Foundry pressure canner is a weighted gauge canner just like the "All American" is.

Thanks, Darlene! Less weight makes more sense to me.

Evergreen, there are also new canners on ebay under "Buy it Now", but the prices are the same as new at the other sites mentioned, plus shipping. Amazon has the 21 and 25 qt listed at 209.99, but if you look there and they are out of stock, you might check again the next day. Just this week, I have seen them be out of stock on one or the other a couple of times, then have them in the next day, sometimes with only two available.

Oh, you've posted again! But you know, I'm really glad you posted that link, because the picture on that site definitely shows the weight regulator. lol I know Darlene told me so, but the picture and description on Amazon were still bugging me (in case they were stocking older models)...and the total with shipping on the other site comes up to 213.74 for me...only a few dollars difference, hmm...I might feel better about this if I ordered from them!

They also have the Blue Ball book for only 6.99 which is WAY cheaper than ebay or Amazon. The shipping is a little high ($5+)

but I just bid $10.59 on one on ebay and there is 3 or 4 dollars shipping on that. cry

Oh my! Don't spend that much plus shipping ona Ball Blue Book! They have them at WalMart for under $6.00!

Or, if you have a Borders or other chain bookstore, if they don't have one in stock, they may order it in for free. Would be worth a phone call.

Do any of you have a Presto canner with just a weight? I saw one at WM Sunday and almost bought it but since it just had weight I didn't. I was wondering of you could buy a gauge for a presto.