MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Lee corn cutter

I bought a stainless steel Lee corn cutter several years ago in a hardware store. We had a dozen ears of corn that we planned to blanche, cut as whole kernal corn and freeze. That needed done last night. Perfect chance to try out the Lee corn cutter.

Morning sickness hit hard the day before. Yesterday, I still wasn't feeling well (weak/dizzy), so DH (thankfully) took over and did most of the work.

After the first batch of ears were blanched, he tried out the Lee corn cutter, placing it over a mixing bowl. He had a difficult time. The ears weren't "sliding' along well. It nearly became a safety issue, so he just ended up using a knife and cutting the corn off the cob that way.

Has anyone used one of those before? Maybe there's a trick we just didn't get?

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary

Had them and gave them away to people we didn't like! :laughkick:

here's what I do and it works for me.....................

Get a 'bunt' pan (think anglefood cake) and sit you butt in a chair, put it (the pan) on your lap then put the ear of corn point down into the hole.

now just holh the top of the ear of corn and run the knife down the sides to cut off corn as it falls into the pan. Dump out as needed and the center part helps hold the corn steady so the knife works better. :thumbs:

Edited by Amishway Homesteaders

I've tried the bunt pan thing, but it leaves a little "ridge" of corn at the bottom and doesn't work real well for the smaller ears. I just take a big glass bowl, put a small glass ramikin bowl upside down in the big bowl and away I go!

• 3 months later...

I just now remembered this subject. (Must be the drugs...my back is real bad today), I bought two corn cutters like the ones in the video link I posted. They both worked the same...not very well. I tried them after I had blanched the corn and they left more than I like on the cob. Also my ears were not the big, fully filled top to bottom like I see in the store. I dehydrated about 800 ears and hoped this would speed up the process. I ended up using one like Out-of-the-Ordinary linked to.

I plowed the garden for next year and almost doubled it in size. I will try the cutters again but I will cut the corn and then blanch it to see if the process works like in the video.

:wormie2:

John