MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

I will be starting to can some of those zuchinni/carrot meatballs soon. Finally picked up some wide mouth quart jars for that project. I thought I had missed the boat when I couldn't find any of them in the regular canning aisle in WM! It was still overflowing with pint jars and jelly jars, but no quarts.

Ooops! Wrong. There was ONE flat of regular mouth jars............but one of them was broken!

I happened to look down the vertical aisle and there was an endcap full of Kerr Wide Mouth Quart jars...................two aisles away!

Paid $14.97/doz.

962363502_kerrqts.JPG.68f580eecc6a55be12f55e1504320dda.JPG  299763130_kerrqts.JPG.2f2ee2d2e90a2d3fce1d1d6c95a64fc5.JPG

Much better than the scalping prices being asked for online!  :tapfoot:

1718666945_kerrqtsonline.JPG.10c7e22ff98f71cc2306c31afdbf5e69.JPG

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 2

Went back online and looked up some prices. Holy Moly!!!

:blink:

One Dozen Wide Mouth Jars   1511860125_kerrqtsonline.JPG.b77fed2cc8e7cc391e3b11030eeb5c6f.JPG 

ONE (1) Wide Mouth Quart Jar  190160296_kerrqt.JPG.595d8648f4525323f0b408fca538546f.JPG  Let's see: $14.58/jar X 12 jars = $174.96/doz

Finally, somebody reasonable. 367397266_kerrptsnone.JPG.c474cffc024ba5b79820c7eabdb28c77.JPG   It's probably why they are sold out

One dozen PINT jars! 997034121_kerrpts.JPG.4e35b6d7535cab317a9907bb1460e3d3.JPG   It takes two pints to equal one quart of volume, so: $29.60 X 2 = $59.20/doz/quart

Again, it will take 2 jars to equal one quart. kerr pts $.JPG  $33.60 X 2 = $67.20 for a dozen quart jars.

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Sad 1

That is terrible. I saw the writing on the wall in 2018 and really loaded up on jars and lids. I had good luck ordering from Wal-Mart and even K-Mart before they closed down. I ordered online because I wanted Kerr jars and I could only find Ball locally. I like the shape of Kerr jars better. Kerr jars have 3 smooth sides (Ball at the time didn't have any) and have a bit of a square shape to them so they seem to stack a little bit better. This may not be true but I think Ball jars are mainly sold in the east and Kerr in the west. That may not be true but Ball jars are all I can find in Ohio and Indy and I noticed a lot of YouTubers out west have Kerr jars.  :shrug:

About a year ago I was looking for some Kerr quart jars on Amazon and about fell over. The prices were like what you posted. I rarely use quarts so I don't have a lot of them. I just wanted to beef up my supply. Forget that! Two cases of them would have been around $80.00. 

Last fall I saw single quart Ball canning jars for sale at Meijers. I had never seen that before. I don't remember how much they were. I'm thinking in the $3.00 range. For one jar. 

I was able to get some 1/2 gallon Ball jars at Meijers this year. I really needed them. They were around $15.00 for a case but 1/2 gallon jars only come in a 6 pack. Holy Moly is right. Look at them now!

image.jpeg

AmazonSmile: Ball 68100 Half Gallon Wide Mouth Canning Jars 6 Count : Everything Else

• Sad 2
  • 1 month later...

I've been running lean on canning jars this year. DH said to start eating some of the food.  :laughkick: Wintertime is when I frequent the charity shops. I can usually get pints for .30 and quarts at .60 each. I check the rims before piling them into my cart. I don't find as many as I used to.  Most of our auctions have remained online since the China flu hit. I don't like to buy sight - unseen.

The past several weeks, I finished off harvesting choke cherries. They are very astringent before ripening. I wait until the birdies can be spotted flying into the bushes. This is the first year I had enough to harvest. I ended up with juice, pulp (for pancakes), and jelly. It requires sugar, even the juice to drink, but makes an excellent cherry juice for consumption. I hope the bushes are just as productive next year. Our drought caused me DAYS of watering those huge bushes.  B)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Those look beautiful, Miki. Do they contain sugar?  I used to do something similar only with grapes.  They called for sugar but I pressure canned mine with only water and allowed them to set for a few weeks to ‘infuse’ and the juice was GREAT.  NOW WHY DID I STOP DOING THAT? I have no clue.  They were soooo easy. :bounce:

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Oh Miki, those are beautiful. I never thought about doing cranberries.  :misc-smiley-231:

LOL. This response ended up above Homesteaders dated Oct, 20. How in the world did I do that?  I guess it bears repeating. :grinning-smiley-044:

Crimony. It did it again. :o

I'm going to quit while I'm (sort of) ahead. 

Now it's back down where it should be. I think it's time for me to log off Boo-Boo. 

But Miki, they really are pretty. 

Edited by Jeepers
I Don't Know
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Jeepers said:

LOL. This response ended up above Homesteaders dated Oct, 20. How in the world did I do that?  I guess it bears repeating. :grinning-smiley-044:

Crimony. It did it again. :o

I'm going to quit while I'm (sort of) ahead. 

Now it's back down where it should be. I think it's time for me to log off Boo-Boo. 

But Miki, they really are pretty. 

My response/ recipe went over homesteaders too

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Miki, that is how I did my grapes when using sugar except I water bathed them.  The sugar acts as a preservative which is why I pressure canned when using no sugar.  I believe, because it is a fruit, that water bath would be adequate.  

I wonder how many fruits could be used that way to make/preserve juice? Probably cherries. 

• Like 1

Miki, those cranberries look great. Wonder if I could do that with pomegranates.  I have a pomegranate bush that I haven't done anything other than to pick one off and eat the fruit. If I could do that with the pomegranate that would be great. I love pomegranate juice.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I've been following the one-month challenge of cooking from the pantry rather than running to the store. It's been fun. Many of the ladies give themselves the $50 cash to purchase fresh fruit or produce for their children when they run out.

I decided to tackle the #10 cans in my pantry. They're leftover from our missionary days when GFS gave our mission office dented cans. They came by the truckload. I loaded up on the tomato-based cans and now have them collecting dust in the back of the pantry. I check each one as I open them and they are all in great shape. :hapydancsmil:

This week I am canning pizza sauce (1/2 pints for homemade pizzas), tomato sauce, whole tomatoes, marinara sauce, and tomato paste (1/2 pints). In the place of five #10 cans, I will have about 50 mason jars.  :0327:  I'm not sure I'm winning.  :24:  At least I'll have tomato products in more manageable containers.   B)

• Like 4

Still canning meat beign rotated out of freezer.  Hope to get the last of the first freezers' done today.  After all the trimming was done, I figure to get around 20 quarts or so of chunks in broth and some hamburger in broth (most versatile for our purposes).

Im slower than I used to be.

• Like 3

I was watching a vid on Sutton's Daze just yesterday. It hit me like a ton of bricks that I would need  365 jars (pint size because it's just me) of various meats for a one year supply!

110 jars of chicken

110 jars of beef

110 jars of pork (and other variety meats)

55 jars of fish (tuna, salmon, etc)

That equals 30 dozen jars! I thought I was doing good to have 2 doz jars of beef & chicken in the pantry! Wake up-MnM!!!

I'm not sure I have the space for that many jars, plus also have enough empty jars on hand to be able to jar up what's in the freezer it I had to!  :(  :hidingsmile::blush:

Part of my resistance to putting up that much meat is that being Keto, my variety of recipe usage is restricted by not using pasta or potatoes in the recipes I would use to make meals. Plus, eating soups and casseroles all of the time (anyway) is not exactly incentivising.   :sigh: 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I used to put up over 800 quarts for our family of five but that amount included  fruits, vegetables, soups, jams, jellies, and meat.  That was besides all that was in two large freezers and all the things I made fresh like bread, noodles, cheese, yogurt, butter, the food stored in our root cellar, and so much more it just boggles my mind to look back on it considering 80% of everything was grown or raised by our family.  BUT!!!!

There are just two of us now and we don’t eat anything like we used to nor do I can much now.  We have three freezers now but one is a small chest type which contains flour and gluten free flour and etc  One is a medium sized upright and contains a variety of soups, premade meals, dump meals, fruits, vegetables and etc.  Our large commercial upright contains mainly meat (a large portion of it venison or wild game) and vegetables.  If I add what we have for canned goods and pantry items DH and I could eat for a year or more.  I try to keep it that way on a rotating basis.  

That said, a pint of meat would last the two of us at least two meals. We do not eat keto because of dietary restrictions but I have in the past.  We eat an anti inflammatory (AIP) diet with very little grain and an emphasis on vegetables. To assess our true consumption needs I go by meals, not individual components.  I grow most of our greens; sprouts, shoots, microgreens, and larger greens such as kale, lettuce, chard, turnip and others.   We prefer frozen over canned vegetables, fruit, fish, and meat but do like the convenience  and storage time of canned products.  I also dehydrate a lot of foods and use them in soups, deserts, and etc. 

365 pints of meat would last us over two years and probably longer even if we had none in the freezer.  I believe it wouldn’t take me long to find it monotonous with just canned beef, chicken, pork and fish.  It would be great for survival though and I have probably three or four dozen jars I canned in 2019 on my shelves. 

:sSig_thankyou:  MM.  It’s good for us to assess our needs. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1