MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Gazillions of delicous ways to use stale or leftover bread

Don't throw stale or leftover bread out! You can dry/toast it and make all kinds of great things with it. If moisture is kept away from the dried bread, it will store well for a long time, too.

Our friend, Susie from France is the unofficial 'Queen of the Dried Bread Kingdom'. She has some really good ideas what do do with dried bread. Here are some excerpts from some her of comments here and there about the topic. I've included comments from other posters, cookbooks and other sources as well.

Here's Susie, on the virtues of dried bread as a good prep item for SHTF situations:

I have been collecting day-old bread, and drying it. I figure that this will be better than the neighbors smelling fresh bread, baking. It's cheap, doesn't use too much fuel or water, is good for us and our teeth, and I've got lots of recipes for what to do with it.

I buy big sacks at the local bakeries, for 1/10 of the price of fresh, and sometimes the salesperson fills up the bag with fresh, as well. And often, there are croissants and brioche, too. Most of the people in this town know that I don't buy it for chickens or pigs (don't have any, we live in town)...I tell them that I'm writing a book of dried bread recipes.

Sometimes I slice it, or dice it. Sometimes I leave the loaves whole, and when they're bone-dry, I put them into a pillowcase, and let the kids smash it til there's just crumbs left. Half-sized loaves get almost sliced through, then dried. If there are croissants and brioche left, after the kids have had at them, those get dried, too.

I put the prepared bread into newspaper-bottomed wooden fruit trays, which stack up nicely, and sometimes dry them like that, set on the woodburning stove...or just stack them, shaking every now and then, til dry. We all take a bit or two, when passing the stack of boxes, so we're used to the taste and the texture, already.

My dried bread is still good after almost three years.

-----------------------------------

Maybe the dog and the cats can eat it, too. Mixed with a beef stock cube, and hot water...or the oil from a can of tuna.

---------------------------

I just air-dry it, or, for the more dense breads, dry it on the woodstove, or in a slow oven...

I have been thinking, as of late, to maybe put the bread into the big paper flour sacks, that the bread came in, from the bakery...for dust and bug protection, as well as storge...I could then hang the bags from the beams.

(Artyanne, a CE poster suggested: Something my old aunty used to do with hanging stuff from the rafters, was to coat the rope with insecticide...)

---------------------------------

Also, I think if you package the crumbs in a FoodSaver bag and put in the freezer they will last a very long time!

----------------------------------------------------

http://www.chex.com/

Dried cubes of bread can be used for all Chex recipes as substiutions for the cereal.

Such as the one I use for breakfast cereal:

Breakfast cereal

1 teaspoon cinnamon

9 cups dried bread cubes

2 egg wites

2 tablespoons orange juice

1 cup sugar

Beat the egg whites, orange juice, cinnamon and sugar, til very frothy..almost meringue, even. Pour this over the bread cubes, and stir til mixed. Bake at 300°f (150°c, gas mark 2), on greased or lined cookie sheet(s), stirring often, for about 45 minutes, til light brown and crisp.

This is so good! And it stays crunchy in milk, too.

Thank you to the Chex Party mix website...lots of their stuff will translate into bread cubes, instead of the cereals that are impossible to get, over here in France.

---------------------

Festive Spicy Apple Snack

Make this awesome flavored mixture whenever you need a snack for after-school or to bring to an event—you’ll get rave reviews!

Prep Time:15 min

Start to Finish:1 hr 10 min

Makes:20 servings (1/2 cup each)

(substitute dried bread cubes for the Chex)

Ingredients:

3 cups Corn Chex® cereal

3 cups Rice Chex® cereal

3 cups Wheat Chex® cereal

1 cup pecan halves

1/2 cup red cinnamon candies

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup butter or margarine

1/4 cup water

1 cup cut-up dried apple pieces (1/2- to 3/4-inch pieces)

Ground cinnamon, if desired

Preparation Directions:

1. Heat oven to 300°F. In large bowl, mix cereals and pecans.

2. In 3-quart saucepan, heat candies, sugar, butter and water over medium heat, stirring frequently, until melted and blended. Pour over cereal mixture, stirring until evenly coated. Spread in ungreased large roasting pan.

3. Bake 20 minutes. Stir in apple pieces. Bake 15 minutes longer. Spread on waxed paper or foil to cool, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Store in airtight container.

----------------------------------------

Breadcrumbs are very useful. Mixed with butter, as a crunchy topping on baked things. Mixed into a crumble mix, and kept handy for fruit crumbles. Used to coat no end of foods, for frying...meat, fish, cheese, fishcakes, potatoes, cold porridge, scrapple, etc..Put the dried bread pieces into a pillowcase and let the kids bash and stomp away to their hearts' content. fried with butter or oil, and kept on the table, to sprinkle on soup, etc..or mixed with toasted coconut and brown sugar, and/or cinnamon, to sprinkle onto hot cereal.

------------------------------------

Bread pudding (like easy French toast)

Stand dried bread slices, packed tightly, into a baking dish (or use cubes, whatever).

Sprinkle sugar, or cinnamon sugar, over. Add raisins, fruit, or glops of jam, if you wish. Scatter with bits of butter or suet. Mix an egg or two for each cup of milk used, and pour this over the bread...let it sit for an hour or two (or overnight, in the fridge, or a cool place), and top it off with more milk and egg mix (it sops up quite a bit). Give it a final sprinkle of sugar, and bake it at anywhere between 300°F and 350°f (150°c to 180°C, gas mark 3 to 4). It's done when the top is not too jiggly, and the inside not too soggy...about 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the temperature..stick it back into the oven, if you want it cooked a bit more...we like it not too dry.

When hot, it's all puffy and soufflé-like...yum! It's good cold, too.

-----------------------

Savoury bread pudding.

The same as above, but, instead of sugar and fruit, layer in ham, bacon, or sausagemeat. Sprinkle cheese, instead.

------------------------------

Croutons.

Fry gently, or bake, bread cubes with a little oil or butter. Stir often, to keep from burning. Keep going til the are dry and brown and crisp. At the end, you can add garlic, parmesan,parlsey...whatever.

These are so good in soup, and also as an omlette filler, or as a topping for spaghetti..easier than garlic bread. My German Granny used to make a potato dumpling, with these hidden inside...I'll have to find the recipe.

If you can help not eating these all at one go, they do keep well, in a covered jar.

------------------------------

Someone here (?who?) said that their Mom used to steam hard bread, over boiled water, covered with a cloth, and serve it with melted butter.

I've taken whole loaves, and sliced them almost through, then dried them. I'll try steaming them, and then stuffing with garlic bread butter (butter, garlic, parmesan, parsle, etc.), wrapping in foil, and baking.

----------------------------

Cinnamon toast.

Spread slices of dried bread with butter. Sprinkle on a coat of sugar mixed with cinnamon. Broil (grill),til nice and crisp and brown...watch out, it burns quickly! And it is HOT!

------------------------

A Portuguese friend says that she pours hot water over dried bread, and then sprinkles on cinnamon sugar, to eat it. Maybe with milk, it would be like that old-fashioned milktoast.

-----------------------------------------

Here's a few of my favorite comments from posters around the boards, most of these are from CurEvents.

From Judith Anne:

You can make "poor man's pizza" from any old slices--spread a little oil over the bread, then some tomato paste, some dried oregano flakes, a slice of cheese, some crumbled bacon, any old thing laying around like an onion slice, a few pieces of bell pepper, or leftover black olives, whatever. Put in the oven until the cheese is bubbly, remove and serve.

Sprinkle with a little parmesan/red pepper flakes, whatever you like.

A recipe for croutons--take old bread and cut into crouton sizes. Toss in a salad bowl with a few tablespoons of garlic ranch dressing until just slightly moistened all over, then spread out on a cookie sheet and bake until well browned. They will be very dry and hard. Stores great in a gallon plastic bag, and I especially like to serve them tossed into fresh pumpkin soup with a few chopped green onions.

---------------

From Blue Gecko:

If you take the day old bread and smoosh it with a rolling pin before you dry it it makes wonderful 'crackers' or melba toast.

From MaryBeth:

When I was a kid and we ran out of cereal, my mom would just toast some bread, butter it, sprinkle cinnamon & sugar on it and serve it in a bowl with warmed milk. My God, it tasted good. You could use dried bread, too.

also: From my old cookbook:

Crustades

cut unsliced bread into 2" slices cutoff crusts

hollow out with a knife, leaving sides and bottom about 3/8" thick

now we improvise

dry the bread cup

when ready to use, brush all sides with butter (could use an oil too i should think)

place on rack in shallow bakingpan

bake in moderately hot oven 375 F 12-15 min or until golden

use like patty shells to hold creamed mixtures

--------------

From a poster named Jam:

Stovetop stuffing...in a bag put your spices and the bread cubes and shake to coat...drizzle melted butter over them and shak again...pour into a pot that has heated chicken broth and stir...turn off heat and put on a lid to steam for a few minutes.

There is an old bakers trick that may allow whole slices to be used for sandwiches. I am sorry i don't remember the times or temps exactly but a bit of fooling around may rehydrated the bread enough for lunches. For stale breads, you put them in a paper bag that is sprinkled with water and put it in a low oven for a few minutes....the idea is the steam inside makes the bread "fresh" again. Might work with a bit of moisture in a baking bag also. Will experiment a bit after i have a lot of dried bread slices.

--------------------------------

From a 1906 Cookbook, submitted by a nun, Sister M. C. Whitesel, Wayside, Wash.

ECONOMICAL WAY TO USE DRY BREAD:

Soak dry bread in water for several hours, or until it becomes soft, then with the hands work it into a pulpy mass: stir in more flour and water with a cup of yeast; let rise, and it will be a good bread sponge for light bread.

-----------------------

http://chestofbooks.com/food/recipes/How-T...And-Crumbs.html

This section is from the book "How To Cook Well", by J. Rosalie Benton.

Uses For Pieces Of Bread And Crumbs

But when pieces are left over, on no account allow them to be wasted. If you cannot use them while fresh, put them at once into a pail kept always standing in the heater of your stove (or some other dry warm place) for this purpose. Throw also into the bread-crumb-pail any crumbs you may have, or clean broken bread left from table. (Do not think these things too trifling to be attended to. After slicing bread for tea, there will often be as much as half a cupful of crumbs left on the board, and it is as easy to scrape them into a pail as into the fire.) Let all dry out together, and once a week or oftener, roll them with a rolling-pin as fine as flour, or nearly so. Put them away in a tin box, covered, and keep them always ready for anything requiring breadcrumbs. Remember, that for anything that needs wetting, such as a bread pudding, more is required to soak these dried crumbs than fresh ones.

Pieces of bread dried at once in the way above described will never become mouldy, however long they may be kept.

--------------------

How To Freshen Stale Bread

Dip the loaf (or slices of bread or rolls) into cold water. Do not let it soak, but simply become wet. Lay it on a pan in a hot oven till the moisture is absorbed, and the bread is hot. Eat at once, for it will not keep after being treated in this way.

Stale corn-bread, gems, muffins and cake may be successfully freshened in the same way.

Bread Boiled in Molasses. Cut thin slices of stale bread, and butter them. Lay them in a frying-pan and pour over them enough molasses to cover well. When the molasses has boiled a few minutes, serve very hot. This is wholesome for children in winter, and furnishes a simple dessert for them.

----------------------

Bread Griddle Cakes

Pour over stale pieces of bread boiling water enough to rather more than cover them. Cover close and soak about one hour. When soft, drain off every drop of water, squeeze dry, and mash through a colander. (If still very moist, set in the heater awhile.)

Then take 3 cupfuls soaked crumbs. 1/2 teaspoonful salt. 1 egg beaten light.

1 cupful milk.

1 heaping cupful flour.

1/2 teaspoonful soda, dissolved.

Beat well together and fry. If you find you cannot turn the cakes without breaking them, add a little more Hour. (Another egg is an improvement.) One tablespoon ful molasses may be added. It makes the cakes brown nicely.

Bread Panada

Pare off the crusts from thin slices of bread. Toast them delicately. Fill a deep bowl with them, sprinkling sugar and salt (or salt alone) between the layers. Pour into the bowl enough boiling water to cover the toast. Cover with a saucer. Set the bowl into a kettle of boiling water, and boil gently till the toast is like jelly.

Eat warm with sugar and nutmeg.

------------------------------------------

Bread Fritters

Cut stale bread into slices one inch thick. Cut the soft part into any pretty shape. A good way is to cut into rings, by using biscuit-cutters of two sizes. You can then use the small circle, as well as the ring. Soak each piece a few minutes in milk or custard. (Save the crusts for the stale-crumb box.) Then drop into deep lard, and boil delicately. Sprinkle with sugar.

---------------

WHAT TO DO WITH LEFTOVER BREAD

http://www.cooks.com/rec/story/128/

* CROUTONS

* STEAMED BREAD

* TO FRESHEN DRY ROLLS OR A LOAF OF DRY BREAD

* BREAD GRIDDLE-CAKES (with Sour Milk)

* BREWIS (from Boston Brown Bread)

* BOSTON-BROWN-BREAD TOAST

* BROWN-BREAD RELISH

* BIRD'S-NEST TOAST

* SOFT BUTTERED TOAST

* MILK TOAST

* BREAD STICKS

* QUICK BREAD OMELET

* BREAD CEREAL

* CRUST COFFEE

* CHOCOLATE BREAD PUDDING

* BREAD PUDDING

* MOCK INDIAN PUDDING

* BROWN BETTY

* CURRANT PUDDING

* CHERRY PUDDING

* NEW ENGLAND PAN PIE ("Pan-dowdy")

* SPICED GRAHAM PUDDING

* STEAMED BREAD PUDDING

* TOAST PUDDING

* CREAM PUFFS (from Pop-overs)

* VEGETARIAN LOAF

* SAUCES AND SYRUPS

o BREAD SAUCE

o HARD SAUCE

o LEMON SAUCE

o MAPLE SAUCE

o SYRUP

o RAISIN SAUCE

o VANILLA SAUCE

o WHITE SAUCE

— – —

WHAT TO DO WITH LEFT-OVER BREAD

The uses for stale bread are so many and varied that it is obviously unwise to waste a particle. The bread-box requires constant supervision and care, especially in summer, when mold forms so quickly. It should be examined daily in hot weather, and in all seasons scalded and aired well before each fresh baking of bread. Small bits of bread should be slowly dried in the oven until crisp and brittle, then ground in the meat grinder or rolled, and kept on hand in a glass jar for breading articles to be fried, for scallops, croquettes, dry stuffings, etc. The larger dried pieces, if cut into presentable shapes, are an excellent substitute for crackers or croutons with soup, and are often preferred to fresh bread. Small pieces and broken slices of stale bread may be used for moist stuffings for meat and poultry, for griddle-cakes, steamed bread, bread omelet, toast points, puddings of different sorts, and for other uses which will readily suggest themselves.

— – —

CROUTONS

Cut stale slices of bread half an inch thick. Trim off crusts (which may be set aside and used for puddings), butter the slices, and cut into half-inch cubes. Place on shallow pan and brown in a hot oven, turning them so that they may not burn. Serve with soup.

— – —

STEAMED BREAD

The very dry, hard pieces may be used in this way: Heat a griddle hot, butter it well, dip the pieces of bread quickly into hot salted water, and brown on both sides on the griddle. Eat with butter or with syrup.

— – —

TO FRESHEN DRY ROLLS OR A LOAF OF DRY BREAD

Dip them quickly into cold water, drain, and heat in oven.

— – —

BREAD GRIDDLE-CAKES (with Sour Milk)

Use equal quantities of sour milk and small, broken pieces of bread. Mix and let stand, covered, over one or two nights. Bits of rice may be added to this mixture if desired. In warm weather a little salt may be added. (In this case omit adding salt later.) When ready to use, put through colander. For each pint of mixture use one egg, one teaspoon soda, one teaspoon sugar, one-fourth teaspoon salt, and about three-quarters of a cup sifted flour. It is always wise to bake a small cake first, that any lack in ingredients may be remedied at once. An extra yolk or small amount of uncooked egg may be added if at hand. Bake on hot griddle and serve with syrup.

— – —

BREWIS (from Boston Brown Bread)

Take dry Boston brown bread and break into small pieces, having two cupfuls. Put into saucepan, add milk enough to cover (one pint or more). Let soak awhile on low heat; when all is soft, increase heat and let simmer until milk is absorbed. Add a little salt and a tablespoon of butter. Serve with cream.

— – —

BOSTON-BROWN-BREAD TOAST

Dry slightly in the oven the needed number of slices of brown bread and toast them carefully. Lay them on a warm platter, butter, and pour over them white sauce, to which one or two spoons of finely chopped cooked ham have been added. Serve very hot.

— – —

BROWN-BREAD RELISH

Put a little bacon fat in a frying-pan. When it is hot add any cut slices of Boston brown bread and brown carefully. Slip a poached egg on each slice and serve hot.

— – —

BIRD'S-NEST TOAST

Cut a slice of stale bread in a large circle. Toast it carefully over a slow fire until a delicate brown. Dip the edges very quickly in hot salted water and put it on a hot baking-tin, where it will keep warm. Butter if desired. Separate a perfectly fresh egg. Add a little salt to the white and beat to a stiff froth. Pile this on the toast, make a depression in the center, into which carefully slip the yolk. Heat in the oven just enough to "set" the yolk, and serve it on a warm plate.

— – —

SOFT BUTTERED TOAST

Toast six or eight slices of stale bread. Melt one-fourth cup butter in half a cup of boiling water in a bowl. Quickly dip each slice of toast in it. place in hot dish, and pour remainder of "dip" over all.

— – —

MILK TOAST

Toast bread to a golden brown, having it dry all through. Keep hot in deep dish in oven. Make white sauce, using one and a half cups for six slices of toast. Pour between and over slices of toast and serve hot. If a softer toast is liked, quickly dip slices in hot water or milk before adding sauce.

— – —

BREAD STICKS

Remove the crusts from any slices of stale, close-textured bread, and cut in strips about five inches long and one-half inch wide. Roll in melted butter and brown delicately in the oven, or fry in deep, hot fat without rolling in butter. These can be served with cheese instead of crackers.

— – —

QUICK BREAD OMELET

3 eggs.

1/2 cup soft bread crumbs.

5 tablespoons white sauce.

Dash of cayenne

Salt and pepper.

Make the white sauce and pour while hot over bread-crumbs, mixing and mashing them well. Beat yolks of eggs until thick, and stir them, with the extra seasoning, into the white sauce mixture. Cut and fold in the stiffly beaten whites. Have ready a hot, buttered frying-pan, turn in omelet, and cook lightly. Set pan in oven to dry off top of omelet, turn out on warm platter, and serve at once.

— – —

BREAD CEREAL

Dry bread in oven until crisp and brown. Roll on board, or put through meat grinder, having crumbs coarse. Serve warm as a breakfast food with cream.

— – —

CRUST COFFEE

Cut the crusts from slices of Boston brown bread and brown in oven until they are much darker in color, but not burned. Put into saucepan, pour boiling water on them, and let stand covered where they will keep hot for fifteen minutes. Pour off the liquid into a hot coffee-pot, and serve with sugar and cream. An excellent and wholesome substitute for coffee.

— – —

CHOCOLATE BREAD PUDDING

1 pint milk.

4 tablespoons grated chocolate.

2 tablespoons butter.

1/3 cup sugar.

Whites of 2 eggs.

Yolks of 2 eggs.

1 1/2 cups stale bread-crumbs (soaked in 2/3 cup water).

2 tablespoons powdered sugar.

Vanilla.

Scald milk, add chocolate melted over hot water, butter, and sugar. Stir well and pour over the soft bread-crumbs and beaten yolks of eggs. Add one teaspoon vanilla, pour into buttered pudding-dish, and bake half an hour. Make meringue of whites of eggs beaten until stiff and dry, the powdered sugar, and half a teaspoon vanilla. It may be served warm or cold.

— – —

BREAD PUDDING

3 eggs.

2 cups bread-crumbs.

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.

1/2 cup raisins.

2 tablespoons butter.

1 quart milk.

1/2 teaspoon salt.

Little nutmeg.

Scald milk. Add butter and bread-crumbs. Beat eggs light and add with salt and spice to bread mixture. Bake lightly in moderate oven about an hour. To be served warm with hard sauce or lemon sauce.

— – —

MOCK INDIAN PUDDING

Butter on both sides three slices of white bread, add one quart of milk, two-thirds of a cup of molasses, and a little salt. Bake slowly about two and a half hours, stirring often until well mixed. Serve with cream.

— – —

BROWN BETTY

Place alternate layers of chopped juicy apples, and stale bread-crumbs in buttered baking-dish, having crumbs on bottom. Add cinnamon and sugar to each layer of apple, using more sugar if apples are very tart. Make a top layer with bread-crumbs and add more butter. Bake for an hour, covering dish at first. Crown crumbs on top. Serve warm with hard sauce or white sauce, or if preferred, sugar and cream. Scant sugar in pudding if sweet sauce is used.

— – —

CURRANT PUDDING

1 pint currants.

1/2 cup sugar.

6 or 8 slices stale bread.

Stew fruit, boiling about five minutes. Add sugar just before removal from heat. Cut crusts from bread and fit slices neatly into bowl or dish from which the pudding will turn out well. Pour currants between and over slices, covering all parts of bread. Cover closely, place in the fridge to set. Serve cold with cream and sugar.

— – —

CHERRY PUDDING

1 cup of fine sifted bread-crumbs.

1 cup flour.

4 tablespoons sugar.

1 cup pitted cherries.

4 tablespoons butter.

About 1/2 cup of milk or enough to make a soft dough.

1/2 teaspoons salt.

2 teaspoons baking-powder.

1 egg.

Mix crumbs, flour, sugar, salt, and baking-powder together. Rub in the butter with a spoon. Beat the egg until light, add the milk, and stir into the dry materials. Sprinkle the least bit of flour on the cherries and add them. Bake about half an hour. Serve hot with vanilla sauce.

— – —

NEW ENGLAND PAN PIE ("Pan-dowdy")

Apples.

Light bread dough.

1/2 cup molasses.

1/2 cup sugar.

2 tablespoons butter.

Pieces of stale bread.

1/2 teaspoon clove.

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.

Fill a good-sized baking-dish with juicy apples pared and quartered, cover with a crust made of bread dough (or pastry), and bake until apples are soft and crust brown. Take off crust while adding to apples the butter, molasses, sugar, spice, and pieces of bread. (Amount of bread may vary.) Replace crust, having brown side down, and spread with some of the apple. Cover closely with a pan and bake in moderate oven for two hours. Turn out on flat dish and serve cold with cream.

— – —

SPICED GRAHAM PUDDING

Take half a loaf of stale graham bread before it gets very dry, and cut off all the hard crust. Press seeded raisins well into the bread to cover the entire surface. Make a custard mixture of two cups of cold milk, two eggs, four tablespoons sugar, one-half teaspoon salt, one teaspoon mixed spices, and one-quarter teaspoon nutmeg. Mix the sugar, salt, and spices together and add them to the beaten eggs. Pour in the milk. Soak the bread in this until it entirely absorbs it, turning occasionally so all sides are moistened. Put into a buttered pudding-mold, and steam one hour. Serve with maple sauce.

— – —

STEAMED BREAD PUDDING

1 pint bread-crumbs.

1 cup cold water.

1 cup molasses.

1 teaspoon soda, dissolved in hot water.

1 egg, well beaten.

1 cup flour.

1 teaspoon cinnamon.

1 teaspoon clove

1 cup raisins, cleaned.

1/2 teaspoon salt.

Mix together and steam three hours. If half rule is used, do not divide the egg. Nuts may be substituted for part of raisins if desired. Serve with hard sauce.

— – —

TOAST PUDDING

Cut five or six slices of light, stale bread half an inch thick. Mix one beaten egg with one cup milk, add one-fourth teaspoon salt, and soak bread in this for fifteen minutes. Brown in hot butter in a frying-pan or griddle. Serve with raisin sauce.

— – —

CREAM PUFFS (from Pop-overs)

Take any pop-overs left from breakfast and make an opening in them just large enough to neatly fill the center. For four to six pop-overs make a filling of one-half cup of cream sweetened with two tablespoons of sugar and flavored with one-quarter teaspoon of vanilla or a little lemon-juice. Add a very little salt and whip it. Stir in one teaspoon of melted gelatin. Place in fridge to chill. When ready to serve stir in half a cup of any fresh fruit that has been sugared, then drain off the juice, and fill the pop-overs. Serve at once. The fruit may be omitted.

— – —

VEGETARIAN LOAF

2 cups white bread-crumbs.

1 cup milk.

2 cups pecan nuts of English walnuts.

2 beaten eggs.

1/2 teaspoon salt.

1 teaspoon poultry dressing.

1/2 cup melted butter.

Pepper and celery salt.

Soak bread-crumbs in milk and eggs. Put nuts through meat grinder, but do not use finest cutter, as they should not be as fine as meal. Mix with crumbs, milk, eggs, and seasoning. Grease oblong bread-pan and put in mixture, pouring a little melted butter over top. Bake half an hour, basting often with butter. Turn out on platter and serve hot, or slice cold. Use parsley for garnish.

— – —

SAUCES AND SYRUPS

BREAD SAUCE

Cook in double boiler half pint of milk, with a small onion and two cloves. Strain, put in saucepan, and add half a cup grated white bread-crumbs from the inside of the loaf, mixed to a paste with some of the hot milk. Let boil a few minutes, stirring and blending well. Add one-fourth teaspoon salt, a dash of cayenne, and a small piece of butter just before taking up. Two teaspoons chopped parsley may be added if desired.

— – —

HARD SAUCE

1/4 cup butter.

1 cup sifted powdered sugar.

1/2 teaspoon vanilla.

Nutmeg.

Cream butter, add gradually powdered sugar, and beat together until light. Add vanilla, pile in dish in which it is to be served, grate nutmeg over top, and set in ice-box until needed.

— – —

LEMON SAUCE

1/2 pint sugar.

1/3 cup butter.

1 egg.

Juice of half a lemon.

3 tablespoons boiling water.

Cream butter and sugar well, add egg, beaten very light, and lemon-juice. Beat all together thoroughly and add the boiling water, a tablespoon at a time.

— – —

MAPLE SAUCE

2 tablespoons butter.

A few drops lemon juice.

1/2 cup soft brown sugar.

Scant 1/4 teaspoon maple extract.

Cream the butter, add the sugar slowly, and beat well. Then stir in the flavoring. Set in the fridge to harden a little before using.

— – —

SYRUP

3 1/2 cups light-brown sugar.

2 cups cold water.

Cook sugar and water together, stirring until sugar is melted. Skim well while boiling. Boil for about thirty minutes, or until a little of the liquid put on cold saucer will thicken. Syrup may be flavored with maple, using part maple sugar.

— – —

RAISIN SAUCE

1/2 cups water.

1/3 cup raisins.

1/4 cup brown or white sugar.

1 teaspoon flour

Sprinkling of salt.

Nutmeg.

1 teaspoon butter.

Boil raisins in water for fifteen minutes, add sugar, boil fifteen minutes longer. Thicken with the flour blended with a small amount of water. Add salt and spice, and just before taking up, the butter. Stir well and serve.

— – —

VANILLA SAUCE

1 cup boiling water.

4 tablespoons sugar.

1/2 teaspoon lemon juice or a bit of lemon-rind.

A little salt.

1 egg yolk.

1 tablespoon corn-starch.

1 teaspoon vanilla.

1 teaspoon butter.

Mix the corn-starch, sugar, and salt, and pour the boiling water over them. Cook until thickened. Remove from heat, beat in the egg, yolk, butter, and flavoring.

— – —

WHITE SAUCE

2 tablespoons butter.

2 tablespoons flour.

1/4 teaspoon salt.

1/8 teaspoon white pepper.

1 cup milk.

Melt the butter, stir in the flour and seasoning and cook slowly without browning until the mixture bubbles. Remove from the high heat, add the milk gradually, beating and stirring constantly until the sauce thickens.

HEARTGOODMORNINGWITHMICE.gif

There are so many great ideas here, I just haven't read them all yet.

THANKSFORSHARINGGIRLS.gif all of these with us. :)

I use our dried bread for stuffing and sometimes we give some to the animals and birds outside.

HUGSWITHHEART.gifHAVEANICEDAYWITHHEARTANDFLOWERS.gif

Restaurants charge upwards of $8 for bruschetta. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruschetta

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

* Bread, ideally freshly sliced

* Garlic

* Extravirgin Olive oil

* Salt

* Beans or tomatoes (optional)

* Hot coals, if possible

Preparation:

You will need 4 six-inch wide slices of Tuscan bread. Toast them, over the coals if possible (though a toaster will work fine if need be) gently rub them with a cut clove of garlic (you don’t want to overwhelm the oil), then drizzle them with good olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste, cut the slices in half, and serve. Serves 4.

---------------------------------

Brie Bruschetta

One summer evening, with lots of tomatoes picked from my garden, I decided to combine them for this fabulous bruschetta recipe. It was our whole meal, along with some wedges of juicy, sweet cantaloupe. For a four ingredient recipe, add some fresh torn basil leaves.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

* 1 loaf crusty french bread, sliced 1" thick

* 6-8 ripe tomatoes, chopped

* salt and pepper to taste

* 8 oz. brie cheese, thinly sliced

Preparation:

Under broiler or on grill, toast one side of the french bread slices. Turn slices over. Brush the untoasted side with some of the juices that result when you chop the tomatoes. Layer slices of brie on the bread. Return to broiler or grill and toast 2-3 minutes, until cheese is melted. Top with the chopped cold tomatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve immediately!

Roasted Garlic Cheddar Bruschetta Recipe from Cabot Cheese in Vermont

Recipe Feedback:

User Rating write a review Be the first to write a review

By Kim Knox Beckius, About.com

Cook Time: 0 hours, 10 minutes

Ingredients:

* Italian bread, sliced diagonally

* Cabot Butter, softened

* Fresh tomatoes, sliced

* 10 oz. Cabot Roasted Garlic Cheddar, grated

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350°. Butter bread on both sides and toast in oven for five minutes. Remove from oven, place tomatoes on bread, top with cheese and return to oven for five minutes to melt cheese. Serve hot.

---------------------------

Caramelized Onion Blue Cheese Bruschetta

By Linda Larsen, About.com

Cook the onions ahead of time, then when you're ready to eat, all you have to do is assemble these little toasts and broil them to perfection.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

* 2 Tbsp. olive oil

* 2 onions, coarsely chopped

* 1 Tbsp. brown sugar

* 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar

* 1/2 tsp. salt

* dash white pepper

* 8 slices baguette bread, 1/4" thick

* 1/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola or other blue cheese (feta is also good)

Preparation:

Heat olive oil in large skillet. Cook onions, brown sugar, and vinegar about 25 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently. When the onions are golden brown, remove from heat and sprinkle with salt and pepper; stir.

Place baguette slices on an ungreased cookie sheet. Broil 2-3" from heat for a few minutes until lightly browned. Turn slices over so untoasted side is up.

Spread the caramelized onions over the toasted bread, and sprinkle with the cheese. Broil about 1 more minute until cheese is melted and appetizers are hot.

You can make part of this appetizer ahead. Just cook the onions and store them in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. The toasts can be prepared ahead too, and stored at room temperature, well covered. Then assemble and broil the finished appetizer. 8 servings

-------------------------------------------------------------

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master v8.05

Title: Tomato and Mozzarella Bruschetta

Categories: Breads, Italian, Tvfn

Yield: 4 servings

3 Plum tomatoes; finely choppe

-d

1/2 Red onion; finely chopped

2 tb Capers

1/4 c Chopped fresh basil

1/4 lb Fresh mozzarella; finely

-chopped

2 tb Balsamic or red wine vinegar

4 tb Olive oil

Salt and pepper

4 sl Toasted italian bread

Recipe by: TVFN How to Boil Water-Show #BW8354

Preheat broiler. In a large bowl combine tomatoes,

onion, capers, basil and mozzarella. Stir in balsamic

vinegar and olive oil. Season with salt and

pepper. Top toasted bread with the mixture and

place on baking sheet. Broil until cheese melts. Serve hot.

Alternative: Substitute 1 cup canned northern white

beans for cheese and just top toasts with mixture.

Yield: 2-4 servings

-----

Parmesan and Walnut Bruschetta

1 (3 oz.) pkg. Parmesan cheese (about

3/4 c. grated)

1/2 c. chopped walnuts

1/4 tsp. salt

3/4 c. olive oil

1/2 loaf (4 oz.) narrow French bread

These delicious hot hors d'oeuvres are perfect with a glass of red

wine before dinner. Or serve them as a special bread alongside a

bowl of soup. Makes 24. Heat broiler. Grate cheese. Combine 1/2

cup cheese, 1/4 cup walnuts and the salt in a food processor.

Process until finely chopped. Add 1/4 cup oil and process until

fairly smooth. Cut bread on the diagonal into 24 half inch slices.

Brush on both sides with remaining 1/2 cup oil. Toast bread on

baking sheet under the broiler, about 30 seconds per side. Remove

from oven and spread one side of each slice with walnut cheese

mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Press remaining walnuts

on top. Broil until cheese begins to melt, about 30 seconds. Serve

immediately.

----------------------

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master v8.02

Title: BRUSCHETTA

Categories: Breads, Italian, Garlic

Yield: 24 servings

24 Italian bread slices

MMMMM-------------------HILLS OF ROME TOPPING------------------------

3 T Olive oil

1 qt Onion; coarsely chopped

4 Garlic clove; minced

1 tb Rosemary, dried; crushed

2 c Mozzarella; shredded

1 c Asiago; grated

1 1/2 T Pepper, black

MMMMM-----------------------PESTO TOPPING----------------------------

1 qt Basil, fresh; washed & dried

2 c Parsley, fresh; washed/dried

4 Garlic clove

1/4 c Pine nuts; toasted

1 c Asiago; grated

1 c Olive oil

MMMMM-----------------------TUSCAN TOPPING----------------------------

1 c Dried tomatoes in oil,

-drained, chopped

1/2 c Toasted pine nuts, coarsley

-chopped

1/2 c Scallions; minced

3 oz Asiago; grated

8 oz Provolone; shredded

Method: Spread 1-2 Tbsp of desired topping (recipes follow) on each

slice of bread. Bake bread until golden brown and heated through.

Conventional oven 400 F, 6-8 minutes; Convection oven, 350F, 5-7

minutes. Serve immediately.

Hills of Rome: In large skillet, heat oil, add onions, and saut# 5

minutes. Add garlic and continue saut#ing an additional 8 minutes, or

until caramelized, stirring often. Stir in rosemary and cook 1

minute. Remove from heat, cool completely. Spread 1 Tbsp. onion

mixture over each piece of bread. Top with 2 Tbsp. of a mixture of:

Mozzarella, Asiago and pepper.

Pesto: In bowl of food processor, combine basil, parsley, garlic and

pine nuts. Process until smooth. Add Asiago and process 30 seconds.

Slowly add the oil while the motor is running.

Tuscan: Mix tomatoes, nuts, scallions, Asiago and Provolone. Use 1

1/2 - 2 Tbsp. topping to sprinkle over top of bread.

Source: Cheers magazine, May/June, 1993

per Kathy Pitts

Fidonet COOKING echo

MMMMM

-------------------

Grilled Shrimp Bruschetta w/Salsa Fresca Recipe

Brought to you by The Galisteo Inn

Ingredients:

12 deveined, peeled shrimp

1 french baguette, slice into 1/2 inch pieces on the diagonal

4 Tbsp olive oil

1 Tbsp chopped fresh herbs (basil, thyme, rosemary)

2 Tbsp chopped garlic

2 lrg vine ripe tomatoes, chopped

1 jalapeno, diced

2 Tbsp red onion, diced

Juice of 1/2 lime

12 cilantro sprigs

Salt & pepper to taste

Instructions:

Combine 3 Tbsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp garlic & 1 Tbsp chopped fresh herbs. Dip baguette slices into marinade briefly and grill until golden. Set aside. Saute or grill shrimp 1 minute or until done. Combine tomato, cilantro, jalapeno, & red onion with 1 Tbsp olive oil and lime juice. Season with salt & pepper. Arrange 3 slices of grilled baguette on 4 plates and top with shrimp and salsa. Garnish with fresh cilantro sprigs.

-------------------------------------

Grilled Cheese Bruschetta

by Bobby Flay

Ingredients

* 8 (1/2-inch) thick slices of country bread

* 1/4 cup olive oil mixed with 4 cloves crushed garlic

* 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, finely grated

* 8 ounces soft goat cheese

* 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper

* 2 tablespoons finely chopped oregano

Directions

Preheat grill. Brush each slice of bread with the garlic oil. Grill, oil-side-down until lightly golden brown. Turn each slice over and top with 2 tablespoons of Monterey Jack, 1-ounce of goat cheese, black pepper and oregano. Grill until cheese just begins to melt.

-----------------------

BRUSCHETTA ALA MUFULLETTA

A Mediterranean appetizer with a pesto-like tappenade!

INGREDIENTS:

*1 cup pitted Spanish green olives

*1 cup pitted brine-cured black olives (such as Kalamata)

*1/4 cup chopped red onion

*2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

*2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

*1 tablespoon freshly grated horseradish

*1 tablespoon chopped garlic

*1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

*Dash of hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)

*Dash of Worcestershire sauce

*1/2 cup olive oil

PREPARATION:

*Combine first 10 ingredients in processor and chop coarsely. With processor running, gradually add oil. Transfer mixture to medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover; refrigerate 1 hour. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.) Serve with bruschetta. Makes 1 1/2 cups

BRUSCHETTA

*1 sourdough or French bread baguette

*1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil

*Cut the baguette on the diagonal in 1/4 inch slices

Grill or toast bread. Brush with oil. Season generously with pepper. Top with muffuletta spread and serve.

Portobello Mushroom Bruschetta

from Sara's Secrets

Ingredients

* 8 slices crusty Italian bread

* 1 garlic clove, peeled

* 6 portobello caps, wiped clean

* 1 clove garlic, minced

* 2 tablespoons olive oil

* Salt and freshly ground black pepper

* Tomato Relish, recipe to follow

Directions

Toast bread in 350 degree F oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Rub lightly with garlic clove while still warm.

Remove gills from mushrooms with spoon and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices. In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and cook mushrooms until softened, then add garlic stirring, until all liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated, about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat. Keep mushrooms warm, covered.

Top toasted bread with Sauteed mushrooms and tomato relish. Garnish with basil.

Tomato Relish:

* 4 cups assorted baby tomatoes (red, yellow, and orange)

* 1/4 cup minced red onion

* 1/4 cup fresh basil, shredded

* 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

* 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

* Salt and pepper

Cut tomatoes in quarters, combine red onion, basil, vinegar, olive oil. Season, to taste, and let marinate for 15 minutes.

------------------------

Bruschetta with Favas and Guanciale: Bruschetta di Ngrecciata

Mario Batali

Ingredients

* 3/4 pound fava beans, peeled

* 1/4 pound guanciale, chopped, (substitute pancetta or smoked bacon)

* 2 artichokes, cleaned, trimmed, and cut into thin slices

* 1 onion, chopped

* 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil

* 3 potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly

* Salt and pepper

* 6 slices crusty peasant bread

Directions

In a large skillet, combine the fava beans, guanciale, artichokes, and onion, drizzle with the olive oil and cook over a medium-high flame, stirring regularly, until the ingredients are softened and browned, about 10 minutes.

Season with salt and pepper and add 1/2 cup water. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes, then add the sliced potatoes, adjust the seasoning, cook for an additional 2 minutes, and remove from the heat.

Preheat the grill or broiler. Grill each slice of bread until it is golden brown on both sides and top each with some of the vegetable mixture. Serve while hot.

------------------------

Portobello Mushroom Bruschetta

Sara's Secrets

Ingredients

* 8 slices crusty Italian bread

* 1 garlic clove, peeled

* 6 portobello caps, wiped clean

* 1 clove garlic, minced

* Tomato Relish, recipe to follow

Directions

Toast bread in 350 degree F oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Rub lightly with garlic clove while still warm.

Remove gills from mushrooms with spoon and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices. In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and cook mushrooms until softened, then add garlic stirring, until all liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated, about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat. Keep mushrooms warm, covered.

Top toasted bread with Sauteed mushrooms and tomato relish. Garnish with basil.

Tomato Relish:

* 4 cups assorted baby tomatoes (red, yellow, and orange)

* 1/4 cup minced red onion

* 1/4 cup fresh basil, shredded

* 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

* 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

* Salt and pepper

Cut tomatoes in quarters, combine red onion, basil, vinegar, olive oil. Season, to taste, and let marinate for 15 minutes.

-------------------------

Bruschetta Bar

Gourmet Magazine

Ingredients

To make toasts:

* 2 loaves crusty Italian or French bread

* 2 garlic cloves

* 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

* Assorted toppings, recipes follow

Directions

Prepare grill or preheat broiler. With a serrated knife cut bread crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices. Grill slices on a rack set about 4 inches over glowing coals for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crisp outside but still soft inside. Alternatively, slices may be broiled in batches under a broiler about 4 inches from heat 1 to 1 1/2 minutes on each side, or until golden. Rub toasts with garlic on one side and lightly brush same side with oil. Toasts may be made 1 week ahead and kept in an airtight container.

Tomato and Ricotta Salata:

* 2 large shallots, sliced thin

* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

* 2 cups chopped seeded vine-ripened tomato

* 2 ounces ricotta salata (firm salted sheep's milk cheese) or feta, cut into fine dice (about 1/2 cup)

* 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives, or more, to taste

* 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, or more, to taste

In a small skillet cook shallots in oil over moderate heat, stirring, until softened. Stir in tomato and salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring 30 seconds, or until just heated through. In a bowl toss together tomato mixture with cheese, chives, vinegar, and salt and pepper, to taste, and mound about 1 tablespoon on oiled side of each toast.

Mozzarella, Greens, and Garlic:

* 1 1/4 pounds arugula, spinach, or escarole

* 6 garlic cloves, minced and mashed to a paste with 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt

* 1/2 cup coarsely shredded mozzarella

Discard coarse stems from greens and wash leaves thoroughly. Coarsely chop the greens (there should be about 6 cups).

In a large heavy skillet, cook garlic paste in oil over moderately low heat, stirring, 1 minute. Add greens, salt, and pepper and saute over moderately high heat, stirring, until wilted and tender, about 3 minutes. Pour off any excess liquid. Transfer mixture to a bowl and cool to warm. Stir in mozzarella.

Caponata:

* 1/4 cup olive oil

* 3 1/2 cups (1/4-inch dice) unpeeled eggplant (about 1 1/4-pounds)

* 3/4 cup finely chopped onion

* 3/4 cup finely chopped celery

* 1/3 cup chopped pitted green olives

* 3 tablespoons chopped drained bottled capers

* 1/4 cup red wine vinegar

* 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, or more, to taste

* 3 tablespoons golden raisins, optional

* 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted lightly

* 3 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch diced (about 1 cup)

* 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leafed parsley leaves

In a heavy skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Saute the eggplant, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until tender, and transfer to a bowl. To the skillet add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and in it cook the onion and the celery over moderate heat, stirring, for 5 minutes.

Add the olives, capers, vinegar, sugar, raisins, pine nuts, and tomatoes and cook the mixture, covered, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 10 minutes, or until it is cooked through and the celery is tender. Transfer it to the bowl. Stir in the parsley, let the caponata cool, and chill it, covered, overnight. Season the caponata with salt and pepper.

Wine Suggestions: Kendall Jackson Chardonnay Hahn Estates or Glass Mountain Merlot Rosemount Shiraz

------------------

Sea Urchin Bruschetta

Ingredients

* 1/2 yellow onion, minced

* 1 tablespoon dry sherry

* 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

* 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped

* 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

* 24 sea urchin "tongues"

* 6 rustic bread slices

Directions

Combine the minced onion, sherry, lemon juice, cilantro, and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl. Add the urchins and season with salt and pepper. Let marinate while you grill the bread. Brush the bread slices with the remaining olive oil and grill over medium heat until both sides are lightly colored. Slice the toast into fingers and top with the urchin and serve.

-----------------------

Bruschetta with Eggplant and Peppers

Rocco Dispirito

Ingredients

* 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

* 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced

* 2 small Japanese eggplants, cut into 1/4-inch thick rounds

* 1 red bell pepper, sliced

* 1 green bell pepper, sliced

* 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

* 8 basil leaves, chiffonade

* Salt and pepper

* 4 large slices crusty Italian bread

* 2 whole garlic cloves

* Olive oil

Directions

Preheat the broiler.

Heat oil in saute pan over medium heat, until smoking. Add onion and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the eggplant. Stir regularly until soft. Add peppers and cook until soft. Add the vinegar. Remove from heat and cool. Add basil, and season with salt and pepper.

Rub bread with garlic cloves and olive oil. Toast bread on both sides in a preheated 400-degree oven for about 10 to 15 minutes. Top with heap of eggplant mixture.

Roasted Asparagus Bruschetta

An elegant dish from Sara Moulton.

Ingredients

* 1 pound medium asparagus

* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

* Salt and pepper

* 1 large loaf rustic Tuscan bread

* 1 halved garlic clove

* 4 ounces shaved Parmiggiano Reggiano

* 1 tablespoons white truffle oil

* 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Begin by breaking off the tough ends of the asparagus and discard. Peel the stalks, and lay them on a baking sheet. Drizzle with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until tender, approximately 10 minutes. Cool and cut in half.

To prepare the bread, cut thick slices, and grill or toast in an oven. Once the bread is toasted, rub each slice with the garlic while the bread is still hot.

Using a peeler, shave thin slices of cheese off the wedge, making enough to cover the slices of bread.

To assemble the bruschetta, place asparagus on slices of bread, drizzle with truffle oil, balsamic vinegar, and top with shaved cheese. Serve at room temperature.

That bruschetta sounds like something you feed the family first, so they don't eat as much meat. Rather like Yorkshire pudding.

A bit festive so they think it's a treat, but you get a few more slices of that roast left over.

• 1 year later...

I love all these Brushetta recipes! They are great as a special treat before dinner or for parties. I love making something small and bite sized for all the baby showers and holiday parties I have going on. They are great for the group of teen girls who meet at my house too, you just have to make a TON of them. Here are a few more of my favorites http://walkercooking.blogspot.com/

Yay! More stuff for me to try!

One of my favorite things to do with old bread is to make a variation of Fattoush - a Mediterranian/Levantine bread salad.

Can be made cold - Throw in some roasted tomatoes, lettuce, any veggie you find around the garden and drizzle enough dressing (or just he juice of the tomatoes), salt, pepper, etc. Let it marinate for a bit - YUM!

Or hot - I love using zucchini and yellow squash but just throw your garden in. Marinate with Italian dressing and saute.

Archived