MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Haven't Been Around Much Lately - Update

Hi y'all!

I'm still popping in from time to time. Right now, I have a pot of hamburger soup simmering on the stove and will be making waffles and soup for a crowd after church. Hubby insists they don't go together...but I don't care.

I've been dealing with more health crap - not much energy or stamina, achy joints, crappy digestion, headaches, etc. Of course, all my test results are normal, so it must all be in my head, right? We're figuring out that diet is a big part of it, but we can't afford to cut out all the grains and sugar right now. I definitely do better when I add coconut oil into my diet, even if I am eating it straight off the spoon some days, but the type I do the best with is, of course, the most expensive stuff out there. I think I'm going to save up so that when they have 2 5-gallon buckets for $100 again, I can order them.

We've got $100 budgeted each week for groceries, and it doesn't go far enough. I think we need to sell the car and get something cheaper or sell the house and move into a trailer house out next to hubby's parents on their land, but he's not going for it. He's talking about working a second job on weekends doing security. If he does that, then I'll feel guilty every time I want to spend money on something that's not strictly necessary...including groceries.

I only have a few plants in, and it's the season right now where it's too hot to start anything. Around September, I figure I'll plant a bunch of greens and such and hope for the best. The only things that survived last summer were rosemary, mint, and aloe, and the aloe croaked this winter. I have $35 saved up...I wonder if there are any greens that would do well in the house?

I need to go through and inventory my freezers - I know I have a chicken, some ground beef, cocktail shrimp (we'll probably thaw them out, de-tail them, and use them for stirfry), bacon grease, tomatoes (around 30 of them, frozen whole), corn (which I don't do well with, but hubby and the kids will eat), broccoli, sauteed onions & garlic, risotto rice, and chopped celery in the freezer, and a variety of greens in the fridge...I just need to figure out how to cook them all! I have plenty of coconut oil and bacon grease, so I'm not going to run out of cooking oil soon. I have flour, tomato paste, herbs, and a bunch of other stuff in the pantry.

I'm still working for a place that installs surveillance systems, and we're working on getting ours put together, cobbling it from various pieces from old systems I'm permitted to bring home.

Ah well. Must go stir the soup. I wish hubby didn't object so to beans - lentils would be a fabulous edition (and stretch it a bit further).

:wave: It's good to see you again!

Sorry you haven't been feeling well. Have you explored "anti-inflammatory" foods? Things like onions, broccolli, cabbage, and beans aren't budget busters and they may help. If at all possible, try to stay away from anything processed. I fight low energy and achy joints but I'm able to control it pretty well if I watch what I eat. In fact, I hurt all over today because I was an idiot and ate Chinese food yesterday. :rolleyes:

As for the housing situation, have you considered meeting in the middle? Keeping your house but renting it out and moving to a trailer on your in-laws property? Check the rental house market in your area. I know it's not fun living near/with in-laws, but it can be a great benefit to you financially. We combined households with my elderly mother-in-law 10 years ago. It hasn't always been easy but financially, it was the smartest thing we could have done. We kept our first house and it's been rented out all but 2 months of the past 10 years. That house has pretty much paid for the new house.

Hope things start looking up for you. Pop in when you have time! (((TheCG)))

Edited by Andrea

Hi y'all!

The rental market here is bonkers, as we're in the middle of oil country. However...I wouldn't want that kind of stress and we wouldn't have the money to get a trailer house. We bought our house right before the market went crazy, and they're estimating the real estate market will still go up another 8 or 9% over the next year.

We're working on staying away from processed foods - I'd say I cook 75% of our food almost from scratch now, but I need to get that up to 95% or even 100%. We do eat a lot of broccoli and onions, but I need to add in more cabbage & fermented foods. Eating out for Chinese food isn't an option for me in our area, as I have to eat gluten free to begin. We've given up on eating out at a lot of places - even the good steakhouse in the area can't decide what I can and cannot eat. Outback is the main place we eat out now, and that's rarely as we can't afford to go often (and really only go when we're out of town). We're working on straightening out our eating, it just takes time, energy, and money.

*blinks*

So, a few changes.

1) We're going at lunch to talk to DH's parents about moving a mobile home onto their land and selling our house.

2) We checked into selling the car - we're far enough upside down that the dealership wouldn't want to deal with us, so we would have to sell it privately, get a loan for the gap, and then buy something else. I think we're not going to pursue that unless things fall through on the housing issue.

Thanks for the hugs and encouragement (and I might try that with the lentils...when DH isn't looking).