MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Chicken Soup - Pressure Canned

Darlene

I thought it would be fun if you were here too UNTIL I thought about 2 strong personalities trying to can together in one kitchen.........hmmmmmm, kinda scared

me!

Anyway, here's a picture of pots simmering with veggies.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
I thought it would be fun if you were here too UNTIL I thought about 2 strong personalities trying to can together in one kitchen.........hmmmmmm, kinda scared
me!

btw, your soup looks gorgeous! Keep the pictures coming!
Quote:
According to these I not only need celery. But apparently I need bigger pots..LOL

Get creative! Use what ya got! If you don't have 1 larger pot, cut your chicken in half and do it in to smaller pots!

My philosophy has always been, if there's a will there's a way!

We have the whole week as a group to do this together, so you have plenty of time...

I'm just trying to do mine first so that I can take pictures and post them up here for everyone to see...it'll be fun to see Dee's pictures and be able to see someone else doing a similar thing.

Ok, here's my first batch out of the canner and all sealed....yea!!!! My 2 batch of 18 are now in the canner and and will be done in about 55 mins.

This is the last picture for this project.

P.S. You can see by the coated lids I forgot to use the vinegar in this first batch. I remembered in the 2nd.

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww they're SO PRETTY Dee! Thanks so much for sharing your pictures...I really enjoyed following you along as you posted them!

pssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssst...just put vinegar in your water when you wash the jars tomorrow...

I make something called a Cuban Chicken soup which is basically the same recipe with potatoes and an additional seasoning. You can add whatever veggies you'd like and that won't be a problem at all!

Since I don't have canning equipment:

Plan A - Friend 1 has NO time right now.

Plan B - Friend 2 has pressure canner and has never used it. Invited me to come over and "we'll figure this thing out together". and it's likely going into bronchitis. Not available right now.

Plan C - If I get the energy levels up - I'll make Friend 2 this homemade chicken soup & take it to her. We'll taste test and make more later to pressure can.

You gotta work with what you have.

MtRider

Yep, that's true MtRider...

If you're up to it, it might be a good bribe for her...make the soup to take over to her and then convince her how awesome it would be to home can it when she feels better! lol

That's why we're doing pressure canning things and water bath canning things. I water bath my stuff in one of my large stock pots, so no exceptionally special equipment needed there.

The nice thing about the chicken soup when I make it just to eat, and not home can, is once I skim all the scum off the top of the water after the chicken has simmered, I throw in a ton more veggies and cook that with the chicken than I do when I home can it...so maybe if you feel up to it, you can just throw everything in and then walk away while it simmers...

I hope your friend feels better soon.

Darlene- thanks, I think she's going to break down and go to doc tomorrow. Yeah, bribery is good!

I did an inventory. I have an old enamel kettle (holds 15+ qts of water). A 10 qt aluminum stock pot. A 15 qt steel with enamel stock pot. All with lids. One (or all?) of these has to work well for water bath. I have no racks or other paraphernalia yet. Like jar lifters, etc. Except jar funnels. Scored them at the last garage sale! 10 cents each. Have small assortment of canning jars and rings. Need new lids. (And I'll be waiting for a non-tomato based water bath recipe cuz we can't eat tomato... For that matter, dh canNOT eat chicken but I plan to sub in Cornish game hen. That doesn't bother him. )

Slowly, I'll get there. I'm enjoying seeing all this tho. Thanks for the tutorial!!!

MtRider

Archived