MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Looking for great zucchini bread recipe!

well let's see... I ran through the archives and found these but no bread... yet....

Zucchini Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting

3 large eggs

1-1/3 cups sugar

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup orange juice

1 tsp almond extract

2-1/2 cups flour

2 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp ground cloves

1-1/2 cups shredded zucchini

---Frosting---

1 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup butter

1/4 cup milk

1 tsp vanilla

1-1/2 cups powdered sugar -- (1 1/2 to 2)

In mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, oil, orange juice and extract. Combine dry ingredients; add to the egg mixture and mix well. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until cupcakes test done. Cool 10 minutes, then remove to wire rack to cool completely.

Frosting: Combine brown sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to lukewarm. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until frosting reaches desired consistency. Frost cupcakes. Yields 1-1/2 to 2 dozen cupcakes.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 243 Calories; 9g Fat (33.5% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 39g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 34mg Cholesterol; 213mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES :

Next time I would sift the powdered sugar into the saucepan to avoid little lumps of sugar in the frosting. Also, even though I used 2 cups of powdered sugar, the consistency was very thin. More than a glaze, but not as thick as, say, a chocolate frosting. Excellent taste, though, not a step to skip, as the caramel frosting really makes the recipe!

I also will make some cream cheese frosting for some of the cupcakes.

Zucchini Brownies

2 c. zucchini, peeled & shredded

1/2 c. oil

1 egg

1 tsp. vanilla

2 c. flour

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking soda

1 1/4 c. sugar

1/3 c. cocoa

1/2 c. walnuts chopped (optional)

Mix zucchini, oil, egg and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and mix. DO NOT BEAT. Add nuts (optional). Pour into 9x13 greased pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Zucchini Fritters

1 pound zucchini, cut in 1/4-inch cubes

8 scallions, thinly sliced

1 Tablespoon olive oil

1 cup feta cheese, crumbled

1 teaspoon fresh dill, finely chopped

1/2 teaspoon fresh mint, finely chopped

1/2 teaspoon lemon peel, grated

Pepper

4 eggs, separated

1/4 cup flour

oil for frying

pinch of salt

Saute zucchini and scallions in olive oil until brown but still firm. Place in bowl and stir in feta, herbs, lemon, and pepper. Add egg yolks and flour to zucchini mixture and stir until just blended. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with salt until stiff peaks form, and then gently fold into zucchini mixture. Drop 1/4 cup of mixture into hot skillet with a thick layer of vegetable oil. Fritters are done when the outside is brown and the inside is moist.

Makes 12 to 14 fritters.

hummmmmm...... still no bread

Chicken Zucchini Parmigiana

1 garlic clove, finely chopped

2 tablespoons oil

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast

seasoning salt to taste

1 large or 2 medium zucchini, sliced

4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded

1/2 cup tomato sauce

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

1/4 teaspoon dried basil

In a large, heavy skillet sauté chicken breast and garlic in oil about 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with seasoning salt to taste. Remove from skillet; set aside. Add zucchini to skillet, sprinkle with seasoning salt

to taste and cook and stir 5 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender. Push to sides of skillet. Arrange chicken in middle of skillet. Top chicken with cheese, tomato sauce and herbs. Cover, cook 3 minutes or until cheese melts and

sauce is hot.

Black-Bottom Zucchini Bars

1/3 cup canola oil

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup baking cocoa

In a mixing bowl, combine oil, sugar, egg and vanilla until. Blend in the zucchini. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to zucchini mixture and mix well. Divide batter in half. Add cocoa to half; spread into a

greased 13x9x2-in. baking pan. Pour remaining batter on top and spread out evenly.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until bars test done. Cool. As you can see, zucchini is very versatile. I hope you'll come to appreciate it as much as I have.

Zucchini Relish

2 cups chopped zucchini (about 3 medium)

1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)

2 tablespoons salt

1 3/4 cups sugar

1 cup cider vinegar

1 teaspoon ground mustard

Combine zucchini and onion. Sprinkle with salt and cover with cold water. Let stand 2 hours. Drain; rinse and drain thoroughly. Combine remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Add vegetables; simmer 10 minutes. Pack hot relish into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling- water canner.

ah ha! bread.. hummm but not whole wheat...

Zucchini Bread

3 cups shredded zucchini (about 3 medium)

1 2/3 cups sugar

2/3 cup vegetable oil

2 teaspoons vanilla

4 eggs

3 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottoms only of 2 loaf pans that are 9x5x3 inches. Mix zucchini, sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into pans. Bake 50 - 60 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Loosen sides of loaves and remove from pans.

Zucchini Quiche

4 cups thinly-sliced zucchini

1 large onion, sliced

3 Tbsp butter or margarine

2 eggs

2 tsp dried parsley

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp dried basil

1/2 tsp oregano

1/4 tsp pepper

2 cups (8 oz) shredded mozzerella cheese

2 tsp prepared yellow mustard

1 9" pastry shell (I used "deep dish")

In a large skillet, saute' the zucchini and onion in the butter until tender; drain. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and all spices (it sure doesn't look like enough, but it is! ). Stir in the cheese and zucchini mixture; mix well. Spread the mustard over the pastry shell (this adds a nice extra "kick"), then fill with zucchini mixture.**

Bake uncovered at 400 degrees F for 35-40 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and crust is browned. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.

**At this point, mixture may be wrapped well and frozen for up to 2 months. To bake after frozen, let thaw in refrigerator. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees F for 50-55 minutes (cover loosely with foil to prevent over-browning after 35 minutes). Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.

oh I found this and had to have the recipe!!!

( Recipes by DomesticGoddess )

Zucchini Carrot Cake

2 eggs

1 cup sugar

2/3 cup vegetable oil

1 1/4 cup flour

Pinch of salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 cup grated, peeled carrots

1 cup peeled, grated zucchini, drained

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

In a mixing bowl, beat eggs with sugar till frothy.

Gradually beat in vegetable oil.

Add dry ingredients.

Beat at high speed with electric mixer; for 4 minutes.

Stir in carrots, zucchini and chopped walnuts.

Pour in a greased 9-inch square baking pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes.

Cool completely, then frost with the cream cheese frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting:

1-( 3 ounce ) pkg. cream cheese, softened

3 tablespoons butter or margarine

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups powdered sugar

In a mixing bowl cream together, cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract.

Gradually stir in the powdered sugar; mixing well.

Frost cake. Refrigerate until it's time to serve cake.

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

Chocolate Zucchini Nut Cake

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup butter

1 egg

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup vegetable oil

dry ingredients:

1 cup flour

Pinch of salt

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

2 tablespoons cocoa baking powder

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

1/4 cup buttermilk

1 cup peeled, shredded zucchini ( drained if frozen )

1/4 cup chopped walnuts

1/2 cup real semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar; beat in egg and vanilla extract.

Gradually beat in oil; mixing well.

In another bowl, mix dry in gredients together.

Stir dry ingredients into creamed mixture.

Gradually add buttermilk; blend to mix well.

Stir in the shredded zucchini.

Fold in chopped nuts and chocolate chips.

Pour into a greased 8-inch square baking pan.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes.

Cool completely before frosting cake.

Frost with the chocolate frosting.

Chocolate Frosting:

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

2 tablespoons cocoa baking powder

2 tablespoons butter, softened

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 tablespoons half & half cream

In a bowl, mix frosting ingredients together.

Frost 8-inch square zucchini chocolate cake.

Refrigerate until ready to serve.

while I am on a roll... look what else I found.. love the archives!

Drying zucchini

I usually shred and dehydrate my excess zucchini. Dry until crisp. I just took a package out of the 5 gallon bucket I store baggies of vegetables in, rehydrated it, added one egg, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/4 cup grated paremsan cheese, 1/2 cup flour, salt and pepper, a dash of hot sauce to zip it up and made fritters. I had about 2 cups rehydrated. Had no excess water to drain. Sauteed in hot skillet with 1 T olive oil and a small pat of butter. I do the same with carrots, beets, potatoes any hard winter vegetable. We had these with homemade salsa. They were really good. Also make the same type of fritter with spinach (fresh or frozen) just squeeze out moisture if frozen and add an extra 1/2 bread crumbs or cracker crumbs. Sometimes I dip in parmesan cheese and saute. Good with extra marinara sauce. If yu have children who are not veggie eaters, grind dried veggies until almost powder, add to meatballs, meatloaf, chili, soup, even muffins. Snuck so many veggies into grand children and they didn't even know it.

was running up and down my Zuke file and thought I would post some of the recipes..

Zucchini Bread

3 eggs

2 cups sugar

1 cup oil

1 quart zucchini milk

2 teaspoons vanilla

4 cups flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 cup chopped nuts

Beat eggs, stir in sugar, zucchini milk, oil, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and spices. Stir in nuts. Fill eight greased wide mouth jars only 1/2 full as this is enough to fill the jars when baked. Bake at 325° for 50 minutes ( DO NOT PUT ON LIDS OR RINGS!) or until golden.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Zucchini Milk

* Good for Zucchini Bread*

If you are one that has a chance to grow your own zucchini, you know that once the plants are established there is no end to their producing, But trying to find some in the winter is almost impossible ( up north anyway). That is why I can my extra zucchini. I make zucchini milk and this is what I use in the bread recipes. What is great about this is you can do one zucchini or a dozen.

Wash zucchini then peel , leaving the seeds in, cut into chunks and put into food processor. This will grind them up very fine. Fill your pint or quart jars 1/2 inch from the top, if there is not enough liquid in the jars to cover

zucchini add water. Put in 1 teaspoon salt. Clean rim, put lid and band on, tighten.

Process in pressure canner for 1 hour @ 10 lbs pressure.

Zucchini Relish

10 cups zucchini -- chopped

4 cups onion -- chopped

5 tablespoons canning salt

1 large green pepper -- chopped

5 cups sugar

2 tablespoons pickling spice

1 teaspoon nutmeg

1 teaspoon dry mustard

1 teaspoon turmeric

2 cups vinegar

2 tablespoons cornstarch

Combine zucchini, onions and pepper. Sprinkle with 5 tablespoons salt. Let stand

overnight. Drain and rinse twice.

Combine the last seven ingredients and bring to a boil. Add vegetables, simmer

10 minutes. Pour into hat jars, adjust caps, process 10 minutes in boiling water

bath. NOTES : Makes 7 pints

ZUCCHINI RELISH

10 c. zucchini (about 5 lb.)

4 lg. Onions

4 lg. green bell pepper

4 lg. red bell pepper

2 1/2 c. cider vinegar

4 c. sugar

2 tbsp. cornstarch

1 tsp. Turmeric

1 tsp. Nutmeg

2 tsp. celery seed

1/4 tsp. pepper

Grind all above vegetables and sprinkle with 1/2 cup salt. Let set overnight. In morning, rinse and drain well with cold water. Mix the following ingredients: Bring to a boil in a large kettle. Add vegetables and simmer 30 minutes. Ladle in jars. Cold pack 15 minutes.

well still no bread using whole wheat.. hummmmmm but here are a few more while I continue looking in my files....

from the file at Mrs. S before we moved to this site...

SCMary

Zucchini Bread

3 eggs

2 cups sugar

1 cup oil

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons soda

2 cups grated zucchini

3 1/2 cups flour

1/2 cup chopped nuts

Mix ingredients in above order . Grease pan/s pour in batter and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Cat

This is what our former neighbors sent over when we first moved here. Polly developed Altzheimers and they moved away, but she was a sweetheart who loved to cook and share. So I keep *her* name on it in tribute to her.

It's a lot like Mary's, but adds a touch of black walnut flavoring. It's my favorite.

POLLY’S ZUCCHINI BREAD

3 eggs

2 1/4 c sugar

1 c oil

1 Tbsp vanilla

1/4 tsp black walnut extract

2 c shredded zucchini

3 c flour

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder

1 c chopped nuts (optional)

Mix eggs, beat in sugar, then oil and extracts. Mix dry ingredients together; stir into egg mixture with zucchini and nuts. Pour into 3 greased and floured loaf pans (or 3 greased and floured 1-lb coffee cans - 2/3 full). Bake at 325 degrees for about 1 hour, until done (toothpick inserted and removed comes out clean).

Darlene

oooooooooooooooo both those recipes look scrumptious!

I'm gonna keep those both and put them up to try next time, as my zucchini didn't have much of a life span left in my refrigerator so I found this one over at foodtv.com and made it yesterday. The thing I liked about it was that it had the oatmeal in it, which you really can't taste after it's cooked, that added at *healthy* aspect to the bread:

Brown Sugar-Zucchini Bread

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar

6 tablespoons granulated sugar

1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats

3 large eggs

3/4 cup vegetable oil

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

2 cups grated zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)

Turbinado sugar or other crystallized brown sugar, optional

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.

Stir the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a large mixing bowl. When cominbed, mix in the oats. Make a well in the center of the ingredients. Whisk the eggs, oil, and vanilla together in a small bowl and pour the mixture into the well. Combine lightly, then stir in the zucchini. Do not overmix.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, mounding it up in the center. Sprinkle with the turbinado sugar if you wish. Bake for 60 or 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack covered with a clean dish towel to prevent indentations. Let the bread cool at least 10 minutes longer before slicing. The bread can be served warm or at room temperature. It keeps well and makes good toast, too.

Variation: Brown-Sugar Carrot Bread

Replace the zucchini with 2 cups grated carrot. Because the carrots are a little starchier, reduce the oats to 3/4 cup.

continued recipes from the old Mrs. S......

Cat

Zuccini Bread and Pumpkin Seed Butter - Recipes

More Desserts/Baked Goods Recipes Solutions

Adapted from The Classic Zucchini Cookbook, by Nancy C. Ralston, Marynor Jordan, and Andrea Chesman (Storey Books, 2002).

Many gardeners turn to quick breads when they are overwhelmed by an abundance of zucchini.

The virtues of zucchini bread are many: It can be made with freshly grated zucchini or frozen and defrosted (and drained) zucchini, it is quick to make, extra loaves can be frozen and enjoyed later, and, most important of all, it is delicious.

Pumpkin seed butter is delicious on zucchini bread, and you can find this recipe below.

INGREDIENTS

3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup canoloa oil

2 1/2 cups sugar

3 large eggs, beaten

2 cups grated zucchini

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon black walnut extract (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grase two 4- by 8-inch loaf pans.

2. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.

3. Combine the oil and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat unitl light. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the zucchini, vanilla, and black walnut extract, if using. Add the dry ingredients and stir just long enough to combine. Divide the batter between the prepared loaf pans.

4. Bake the loaves for about 1 hour, or until a tester inserted in the centers comes out clean.

5. On wire racks, cool the breads in the pans for 10 minutes. Invert onto the wire racks and cool completely.

Makes 2 loaves.

PUMPKIN SEED BUTTER

Combine 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds, 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, and 3 cloves of garlic in a blender or food processor and process until combined. Add 1/3 cup softened butter, and salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Process to mix. Store in the refrigerator, but serve at room temperature.

Zucchini Cobbler..This is delicious

From mspatty

This takes some time to make, but is a delicious way to use that zucchini. I took it out of the oven about 30 minutes ago and my husband & I both declared it a winner..

Zucchini Cobbler

8 cups zucchini, peeled, seeded, and chopped (about 3 lbs.)

2/3 cup lemon juice

1 cup sugar

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Crust:

4 cups flour

2 cups sugar

1 1/2 cups cold butter

1 tsp. cinnamon

In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, cook and occasionally stir zucchini and lemon juice for 15 to 20 minutes or until zucchini is tender.

Add sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg; simmer one minute. Remove from heat and set aside.

For crust, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir 1/2 cup of crust mixture into zucchini mixture.

Press half of remaining crust mixture into a greased 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Spread zucchini mixture over top; crumble remaining crust mixture over zucchini. Sprinkle with

cinnamon. Bake at 375' for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden and bubbly.

(Most people will think this is made with apples)

Darlene

it looks really good, but can you cheat on the crust or use bisquik?

mspatty

You could certainly cheat on the crust. Just add a little flour to the filling to help

thicken it and use it like you would apple filling.

chris

I just made this and it was very good. Told the kid's it was apples until after they

ate it. They tore it up.

Now Bookworm... I am not done yet!

Zuke apptizers

3 thinly slice zukes, lots

1 c bisquick

½ cu onion

1/2 c parmesion cheese

2 T fresh parlsey

½ t salt

4 eggs sltightly beaten- or flax seed

½ t season salt

½ t oregano

salt petprrer to taste

1 clovwe garlic choped

1/2 veg oil

egg plant

topped with and mixed w/morezzala

baked in a greased pan @350^ for 25 min.

cut in 2x4 inch squares serve cold or hot…

optional….any squash…. Instead of egg plant

ok, ok, how about whole wheat recipes?

http://www.justbreadrecipes.com/inxwwh.html

• 9 years later...

Punched zucchini into the search engine here at the Librum site.

HCOOK THE BOOK OF HERB COOKERY 1941
Sweet Marjoram with Zucchini. HCOOK 143
Sweet Marjoram with Zucchini Salad. HCOOK 157
Zucchini, Fried with Marjoram. HCOOK 143
Zucchini Salad, HCOOK 157

So if you are on a PC, grab the 'check out' copy on the reference desk, it is an exe file, run and enjoy. No expiry.

And don't skip out checking the cookbooks over at our DD site, icsarchive.org.

Sarah