MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Heads Up! Christmas Storm on the Way!!!

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/23/16106937-new-storm-could-pose-holiday-travel-headaches-across-nation?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=6

Looks like some wild weather may be on the way for some folks:

Quote:

A major winter storm that on Sunday was dumping steady rain and snow on Northern California could strengthen as it makes its way east, promising a White Christmas – and travel headaches – for a wide swath of the country.

The storm will deposit snow from California’s Sierra mountains to New England through Friday morning, forecasters said. “Unfortunately, this occurs not only during the Christmas holiday, but also in the peak travel period after Christmas Day in the South, Midwest and East,” weather.com said.

Forecasters warned that roads would become treacherous Christmas Day and Christmas night from the High Plains of western Kansas and the Texas Panhandle eastward into Oklahoma, extreme north Texas, Arkansas and into the mid-Mississippi Valley.

There was also the potential for severe thunderstorms with damaging winds, hail and tornadoes in parts of the South on Christmas Day, said Greg Forbes, The Weather Channel’s severe weather expert.

Not sure if we'll get any snow (perhaps a dusting?) but that's not unusual. Can tell you with all surety it's COLD! Thermo under carport registers 19. In our particular "area" we seem to hide in what some of the military call "the Moses effect"...which is a pathway...where we don't get what others get...figure? We load NOAA, punch in our zip and then look at the radar map in motion. That's about as close as we can get! LOL

"Moses Effect"??? Yeah, micro-zones can be downright bizzare. The mountain regions are full of them. We can be up to twenty degrees colder than my folks place - 20 miles away and not much altitude difference. :shrug:

We are darkening as I type. IT is coming in. Not supposed to be too much snow....weren't talking about WIND this time.... Supposed to be fast moving system so we might be clear by tomorrow afternoon. If DH and I have to delay Christmas at my folks for a few hours for the roads to clear, that's doable.

MtRider ---enjoy the snow, all of you who don't usually have a white Christmas. :santa:

High wind warnings here all day tomorrow and I'm supposed to have brunch with friends. I'm planning on her taking these chicks and she needs me to check a goat that miscarried and has a retained placenta. So I really need to go. About 60 miles each way. One of them will pick us up so they will have two round trips to make.

Thanks for the warning, Dogmom. Cuz you are west of us.

We got a few inches late yesterday....feathery type snow. Sun is brilliantly shining today.

Merry Christmas and be safe wherever you are.

MtRider ----got to 10 BELOW last nite tho... :frozen:

Decided not to chance the roads today, even though the company would have been nice, I'd rather be to home when the weather is bad. Trying to get stuff caught up in case the power goes down. Got behind with housework since I've been working outside a lot lately. Got a HUGE pile of brush and mesquite to burn if the weather ever cooperates!

It often seems as if my little town is a microzone but now forecasts here predict up to 18 inches. A respectable snow storm to be sure. LOL. I was invited to go walking up at Lake Placid for the worst estimated period. ha ha ah......... The roads will be far too full of snow .....maybe not even open until the Interstate get's cleared. It is always nice to know I can walk to gas station or store. The local guys and their trucks and blades usually get the roads here and store parking lots and gas station opened up for vehicles pretty fast. But the main DOT plows will be busy on the Interstate for two days before they can get to the main routes around me. It is also cold enough it should stay awhile. I do not have the headaches others do, but its nice to have a respectable storm when one can just sit back and enjoy it !

They are calling for my area to get 6-10 inches of snow today. Depending on where the warm air is, it will change into frain/sleet/snow mix. I hope that part holds off until DH is safely home from work today. When we went to bed last night, they were forcasting for this to hit us at 4 am. So, far, nothing, but the wind is picking up.

11am--little ice balls came and coated the roads. The snow started. It's big flakes. Almost looks like large cottonballs coming down. It's coming down FAST.

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary

We are having snow here now (Noon Wednesday) in Central PA near the Capitol, and it's coming down pretty steady. I have to get to work tomorrow (I OD'd the checkbook :banghead: ) and I need to get my kid back to his pick up location to get back to school :(. Glad there is lots of food here so I don't have to worry about any of that should my house be overrun with teenagers (somehow they manage to get through just about anything!).

Stay safe and warm everyone

Watched the noon news. Many accidents. Plow trucks haven't really been out. (Booo PennDot!) People are advised to stay home if they can. Apparently a few of the wrecks were people trying to get to stores to return/exchange Christmas gifts. :shakinghead:

The problem is the layer of ice under the several inches of snow. Some areas are getting straight snow now, others the sleet and freezing rain, on top of the layer of snow. It's messy out there. DH left work early and is making his way home. :pray: (I told him to call off :tapfoot: )

Watched the noon news. Many accidents. Plow trucks haven't really been out. (Booo PennDot!) People are advised to stay home if they can. Apparently a few of the wrecks were people trying to get to stores to return/exchange Christmas gifts. :shakinghead:

The problem is the layer of ice under the several inches of snow. Some areas are getting straight snow now, others the sleet and freezing rain, on top of the layer of snow. It's messy out there. DH left work early and is making his way home. :pray: (I told him to call off :tapfoot: )

I hope he made it home safely!

OutOfOrdinary posted in Shout that her DH made it home! :cheer:

MY DH, however... :shakinghead: Sheeeh, it sounds like we've nearly got the best weather in the country right now and.......

DH calls me to say he's 1/3rd of the way home...not even thru the pass, and his car quit. :wacko: Died flat out and he barely had enough momentum to get off the highway, since he was going UP-mountain when it happened. Had to call a tow truck. Since it's all-wheel drive, had to flat--bed it alllll the way past our village to the next village where our automotive guy is. JUST spent over $1,000 on a bunch of little electrical stuff and a water pump. Now within two wks, it's towed [$150+] back there. :0327: Our 1998 car might have reached that point of no return on repair investments... :sigh:

I *think* DH got towing insurance tho.... That will help! :thumbs:

I can drive over to the next village to the garage... but I've NEVER done it after dark.

However, Thank YOU, God!....it's nearly a full moon on a crystal clear nite. It wasn't much like driving in the dark at all. Quite beautiful, actually. And I only met one car.

DH was in a spot that his cell worked when car died. :amen:

The towing company is a local family and were very prompt/friendly.

Highway patrol stopped to see if DH needed a tow or if he had things handled.

It was cold but not sub-zero....NO wind.

God had prompted me to make supper NOW...rather than later... so it was done.

Doggie dear went right into her bedtime -no-chew-zone, enclosure. Didn't want to chance bringing her when it's so cold. [she DID have to get up again to greet DH but since it was 11:30pm...she went back to her bed. ]

Tho DH was uncomfortably close to the highway cars ZIPPING by his door, he and the tow guy were safe.

For all these things, I thank YOU, Lord! Keep my friends safe during their bad weather!

MtRider ---and......can YOU see about that car and our finances to pay AGAIN and ...if it can be fixed before DH has office again on Friday? :pray:

Edited by Annarchy

We've got about a foot of snow, but it is still coming down steadily. I don't know when it will stop! This wasn't my idea of a blizzard because we don't have that much wind, but the snowflakes are extra tiny. We are all snug and safe, though our daughter will be going to work soon. The good thing is that hubby will drop her off, though the bus is a viable option for her.