MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Snapped Quadriceps

Ogre

I slipped on the stair on November 17th. Managed to completely snap my Quadriceps (the big Tendon running down the front of your leg from your thigh to knee). You could actually hear the snap in other rooms.

I was in a cast and walker until December the 18th and have now graduated to a metal leg brace and crutches.

Back in work now and getting around as best I can. But at home at night, the muscles either side of surgery site and snapped tendon cramp awfully. The interior muscle cramps way up into the groin area.

As you can imagine, this is a tad uncomfortable. Has anyone suffered this injury and can give me some tips on the cramping ?

Ogre

I slipped on the stair on November 17th. Managed to completely snap my Quadriceps (the big Tendon running down the front of your leg from your thigh to knee). You could actually hear the snap in other rooms.

I was in a cast and walker until December the 18th and have now graduated to a metal leg brace and crutches.

Back in work now and getting around as best I can. But at home at night, the muscles either side of surgery site and snapped tendon cramp awfully. The interior muscle cramps way up into the groin area.

As you can imagine, this is a tad uncomfortable. Has anyone suffered this injury and can give me some tips on the cramping ?

Ogre

Plenty of hydration (water!), calcium and muscle relaxers. Your docs shouldn't give you any trouble prescribing a good muscle relaxer, but beware that Flexerall is habit forming! Not having enough water in your body is known to cause muscle cramping.

Raise your potassium level. Get pills or eat: www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php

If you don't notice a remarkable improvement in two weeks, this probably isn't an answer for you. But if it does, it's a cheap fix.

I'm sorry this happened to you! Years ago DH was injured by a falling tree. Some abdominal muscles were torn in two. He had the cramping problem. Whenever he would even think about moving, the muscles would respond to his brain and contract to move. They couldn't move him of course but I guess they didn't know they were not attached. I imagine the same thing is happening in your thigh. It's quite painful, he said.

Thanks all. I'll give it a go. Been daring the last couple of days, not wearing the brace everywhere. However, I now find that the position I seem to hold myself in without crutches is giving my lower back gyp. Never rains but it pours (lol)