MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

New journey back to strength and health 2016 - 2017

sassenach

Even as I slowly sort out things and watch slow progress on some major house repairs being done, I did find time yesterday to go for a short walk and got a few things I needed at the store.

Today, I walked a lot further. Currently I am so out of shape my muscles are really atrophied and weak and it took 25 minutes slow walking just to loosen up some! 5 more minutes and I got to the store and hardware store I needed to go to.... and I remembered my electric outlet adaptors and found out they do sell guys jeans, Lee brand at the hardware store and carhardts or something like it at least. Which is good. I needed more jeans , and they do have deeper pockets! So I bought a pair.

My fibro has wreaked havoc on my muscles and tendons and the connections they make into joints and bones, and so has the fatigue levels of my chronic fatigue.

Well, I will see what I can do.

Fortunately it has still been very warm.

Maybe by the time it starts to really chill out here I will have found more of my winter clothes, ha! They are in a box somewhere! ( Just got my moved goods delivered.)

Walking to tone up for now seems a good idea. Nothing fast and furious. It is also relaxing.

Whatever level you are at, who is joining me in this stuff, personal stamina improvement and some strength building?

:hapydancsmil::bounce::thumbs:B):imoksmiley::runcirclsmiley2::groooansmileyf::faint3::shrug::whistling::huh::sHa_sarcasticlol::yum3::cook::canning::offtobed::nail::lois::clothesline::shopping::frozen::lois::sheep::P:hidingsmile::sSig_thankyou::pray:

Good for you, Sass! You'll get to know the new community too.

Well.....I walked down and UP our hill for feeding tonite. ....wasn't by choice of course. Three vehicles and I'm STILL walking that mountainside. Sheeesh. NOW what is wrong with my truck????? It ran last nite cuz it was in the position to jump the van. :scratchhead: Van would probably start but it's still hooked to the horse trailer, ready to haul more hay tomorrow. So I walked. Didn't even have my big doggie tonite. She was with DH....having a great time going into stores where everyone wants to giver her treats!

MtRider .....strength/health....in as much as it is up to us, is the best prep! :amen:

Congrats Sass! Gaining strength is a MUST as we look at our future! Baby steps, as my trainer used to say. :hug3:

My nephew gave me back the chainsaw I gave him 14 years ago (he never used it). We started traveling and didn't need it anymore. The saw has a problem with the purge pump and DH said the new parts arrived yesterday. :hapydancsmil: I think he's hoping I don't clear-cut the woods now that we're in the planning stage of a new woodburner. :grinning-smiley-044:

Yay for you Sass! You can do this. A true story...a lady who was an RN had a mother who had diabetes, heart disease and some other chronic conditions and was in a wheelchair. She was 83 years old. Her daughter moved her in with her and asked her if she would be willing to try a new diet and lifestyle. She said she would. She began eating a plant-based diet of Real Food, and began exercising her muscles with her daughter's help. Then she began walking very slowly and then improved more and more. She became able to work in the garden and died at 103! About a week before she died, she became weak and tired, then and just "fell asleep" with no significant problems or pain. This was so encouraging to me because it shows me what can be done when you try.

As for me I managed to sleep til 6am today. This is an improvement. Today, got advice on plumbing issues, drain pipes. Supposed to get some of P's dross cleared up again but the handy man who said he would be hear to clear stuff about 2 hours ago never showed. He can get a talkin to if he shows up after dark. I don't want him showing up after dark when I live alone. Besides, this is not going to help my own routine once I get one again! I am already frustrated.

It's understood and accepted that I am frustrated. Hopefully the drains will all be fixed come Friday. The wall cracks in the interior walls are being patched correctly. I am learning how. The guy that does this is the hubby to a woman veteran who advocates for veterans here. He has restored and flipped houses for about 40 years , spent much time in Colorado and is really cool and knows his stuff, very kind man. He did great work helping his wife regain her ability to walk , Mt. Rider. Does body work, eastern medicine practices, put the VA here to shame, and some of that she is straightening out! They even go help veterans in the Northeast at times. He had very good, logical thoughts about the drain pipes going from kitchen and bathtub... I think more digging and pipe replacement might be in order or hours of snake work... you oughtta see the tree roots that were growing in the old sewer pipe! Its close enough it probably invaded the kitchen and tub drain pipes. The drop in level of the pipes is good ( checked in the basement, ) so ..... Friday I hope all that is done up right and the plumber not the handyman is going to also install the washer and dryer... which I trust more. I just think he is really busy maybe. ( 40 year old Maple trees can do a number on piping.)

It might be next week..... he better be back Monday if he isn't done on Friday. IM not waiting another darn week to get a shower !

Got my wee sewing machine, thread and stuff so I can make some quick curtains out of some new sheets, and my knee socks yarn I ordered. So I did a bit of yarn therapy just now , rolling 3 skeins into balls. Clover Colors , Patons Kroy Sock Yarn. Now I can knit some knee socks for winters socks while I wait on all this to be done as I putter with settling other things and re-do my bedroom windows coverings. If I can also redo the kitchen and bathroom window out of the material I have , it will be more appropriate coverings. The curtain work, clearing dirt that settled in low spots on the old driveway and cleaning up extraneous leaves in the back yard and side yard will keep me busy the next couple days and is an improvement so that's good for this place!

A little knitting won't hurt either. I need more knee socks anyway. The yarn is rather pretty too.

Edited by sassenach

Glad to hear the little one is past the illness. Too scary when they are sick.

So many activities for you now....lawn work, etc will keep you busy and limber if you take it easy. I've got to build slowly back up too. Trying to wait out the MS Fall Fatigue Thing. Really strong case of it this year.

MtRider ....definitely need better stamina!!!!! :pray:

• 2 weeks later...

Today, finally, yard is quiet, won't get any serious re-do work til spring and it's not windy out but chilly, so bundling up to go use a shovel to try and level out the hills and hollows left by the digger work for the drain line in the back yard, after I do dishes. Had my meal.

Me, Ambergris? No.... there do seem to be various old wall materials and newer ones in this place. B, one of the men who did help with plumbing and such will do more wall fixes as there was cracked plaster and painting is needed. I am in no shape to be running up and down ladders or doing work using my shoulders like that. There is paneling up in other parts of the house, though and some wall paper that is in good shape and not bad colors so it will remain.

I have to figure out my gardening to make it possible in bits and small sections of time and space out there and hope I don't get terribly ill or fatigued when it's ready to start, and I also have to depend on the owners when it comes to getting more fill dirt in the spring after all this digging work and what it has now done to the levels of the yard. The soil is very fine stuff and it may be considered loamy but it doesn't have much matter in it, and it settles compactly, if the surface doesn't get blown away once it's loosened. Some of it drifted onto the old driveway which is uneven from tree roots and age and I swept a lot back onto the dirt again.

So, sweeping that and shovel work and finding smaller pieces of cement broken from the cement dug up, I moved it ( tossed that, it wasn't big pieces) , for an hour and a half yesterday afternoon. This was good exercise to do slowly for lots of tight tendons and weak muscles. I can probably finish the rest of the leveling later today.

Took a hot bath, have to use a silicone jar lid remover thingy to stopper the tub since the mechanism doesn't plug the tub correctly. Luckily I had one.

Was tired and went to sleep at reasonable time but woke up at 2:30 am and can't get back to sleep.

Irritating.

I can never count on a good nights sleep. Regularly. Start thinking I have a good routine going but it cycles over just a few nights. This is part of my general strength issue. Stamina, whatever, as well as ability to just get going good on a daily basis. There are no easy fixes to it. I already have all the tips in the world for a good sleep routine but it doesn't matter. Still, I will do what I can.

I hope to get some walking in. Weather should be good.

LOL I also have to use a jar-lid-remover-circle thing to stop the sink in our bathroom. No stopper mechanism. No rubber plug I can find has ever fit it. :scratchhead: But...it works. Just have to be careful of stuff going down our wide-open drain. Like the ear plugs I use cuz my hair dryer causes ringing in my ears if I don't. I've taken off the U juncture underneath so many irritating times!

I know what you mean about sleep disturbance. No matter what you try, some nights are not gonna happen. Stressing about it just makes it worse. Going with the flow....you get what you get for that night...seems to work better. Last nite was not a good one for me. :shrug: My mom is worse....rarely gets more than 5 hrs. Feels so much better when she does.

Interesting hearing about your new-to-you house, Sass. The old ones can have a lot of surprises but are full of character. And better neighbors for you this time!!

MtRider :pc_coffee:

• 2 weeks later...

Got my foam pad for bed, should help. Walking is getting easier but now there is icy stuff outside... but going to work on a routine that fits my schedule and others, uh, huh, good luck on that. At this point getting up early is pretty good, getting going early is the dilemma! Mental motivation adjustments are necessary ---- developing different habits, these are all in the works.

But I am somewhat more active and I note a slight improvement in my left shoulder that was traumatized by long term frozen shoulder ( that stuff really is excruciating).

Reviewed vegetables good for blood pressure regulation and many of the basics are just fine,green beans, beets, celery, peas, carrots, included, which I like. Reduced salt intake from last month.

I need to remember to order a new weight for my canner and try to get a case of jars and some bulk organic grown veggies to can up each month if I can, when I do main shopping to add stuff to my pantry shelves.

Already seeing improvement on water retention factor. :)

Every little bit helps!

Edited by sassenach