MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Annie's Salsa - Water Bath Canned

Thanks for Annies Salsa receipe

I tried it today it tasted great. But I do have a question

when you chop and drain your tomatoes what do you do with the liquid?

After the first tomatoes that I chopped up and drained down the drain I thought what a waste ....so got out another pan and drained them into it. When I got my tomatoes done for the salsa (got 10 pints all sealed now used 10 cups tomatoes and lots of Jalapenos, Seranos and Habaneros out of our garden...can you guess we like it hot)

I got 6 pints of tomato juice (added a 6 oz tomato paste & some salt & worcheshire sauce to the juice) will be BWB them shortly.

Just thought if you weren't saving that juice you should....makes great tomato juice.

JoMo

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Ok...My salsa is being pc...Would like to know why my pressure cooker leaks water while it heating up?..Sometimes this happens...Sometimes it doesn't. Is it because the seal wasn't sitting in warm water...The seal is 8 mouths old. Thanks..

The pc I have has a weight.

It beautiful...Onion tomato's celentro, garlic are all from my DH garden..I used plum tomato's as I figured less juice and seeds..Nice and firm.

Thanks

I made my first batch of salsa.. bananadancingwoohoo

It look kinda dry shrug...When I turn the jar's over it kind of thuds...That can't be good.

It could be because I use plum tomatos which have less water then big boys...I'm not sure what I did wrong. I cut and drianed the tomato's and put the in a collender.

I boiled the batch exactly 10 minutes..It didn't look like Darlenes picture of it bubbling...I was afraid to cook it longer that it might turn out like mush...

I got exactly 7 3/4 pints...Thought that was a good thing.

I use the 1/3 cup of vinagar because I pc it.

I forgot to use a spatular to get the air bubbles out.

It looks kinda like dark paste and I can see air Pockets in the jar so it's got to be dry......I pc cooked for 30 minutes with a 10 weight..

I want to make another batch of mild so I could use some help here.

Is their a way to correct the Salsa I made..

Thanks

HC

When you water bath Salsa Is it as safe as PC...I'm just confused...The Salsa has peppers and onions...Though veggies have to be pc'ed. This Salsa will be for when the SHTF...

Prep's although my husband has been eyeing the salsa up all night...

I would like to try the lemon instead of 1/3 vinagar and cut the salt down...

The vinegar is a preservative hon which is why it can be waterbathed and not pressure canned. The plum tomatoes could be a reason that your salsa was a little drier, especially if you're sure you did all the other measurements correctly. Cutting down the salt would be ok.

As far as correcting it, hmmmmmmmmmm...perhaps mixing it with another salsa, or using it to make homemade tacos when you do, or other mexican type meals...that's probably what I would do...use it in my cooking vs using it to eat with tortilla chips.

My God is that Salsa good...Yummy...

I opened 1 jar of salsa today... starloveplace

The salsa was just fine...I used 3 japena's and the salsa came out mild...Mild enough for kids to eat...

The peppers were about 3 inch long...2 were red 1 was green...

I'm just wanted to know if the Salsa will get hotter over time or will it stay the same because it's sealed...It was 4 days old when I opened the first jar...

I love a mild salsa...I really don't like hot but I would like to make a salsa that's really hot for family...Thanks...

Check the packages of the Ball mixes, they may already have dehydrated veggies in them. You could pressure can salsa with less vinegar for 35 min. You still need some vinegar in it.

As for making salsa, you should not drain the tomatoes. You need the juice for the right density when canning it. If it is too thick the heat will not be able to penetrate it to safely can it.

I also make Annie's salsa. (Hey, Annie is getting married, BTW !)

I read the post about the jars on the bottom of the canner. It is also for circulation of the water all the way around the jars, that is partly why a rack is used. That and so they don't break.

It is good salsa, for sure.

Mine doesn't get any hotter as it sits. I think yours will be fine, Happy Camper.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I tried this recipe this morning Darlene! It's the first official canning job for me.

I too changed the recipe just slightly but mmmmnnnnn it's sooo good. I ended up with 12 half pint jars and 1 1/2 quart ones.

I did have a few problems though...LOL... not with the recipe but with canning.

First off..... I wasn't sure how to hold the jar picker upper tong thing and was holding it upside down... it didn't work too well. oops

Then, as I saw little bubbles coming from a few of my jars and little bits of salsa floating around I decided to plick them all out and tighten the lids.... after receiving 3rd degree burns I quickly realized I shouldn't have! (not actually 3rd degree but you get the gist). mecry

Now I've pulled them out and have them sitting on a towel on the counter waiting for the little sound of the pop. Each time my children wander by I have to make sure they don't bang on the tops like little drums.... you should see me scramble and try to stay in the spirit (not the flesh)..... I've resorted to mentioning the fact that IF they touch my jars I will have to start praying for a healing of their backside- all in the Name of Jesus of course.

heehee

This is fun! I'm going to try your chicken soup next. I have all the ingredients and just waiting for the time.

Thanks for the easy directions and pictures! They sure are a blessing.

God bless you!

I'm new here..

I have been making this recipe for over a year now,

I also change this recipe up

no sugar

less vinegar

alittle more cilantro

I use roma tomatoes around 10 to 12

4 to 5 good size zuchinnis

everyone that has tried it LOVEs it..I have even sold a few jars here and there.

If you have changed the recipe like that, I hope you are not canning it. The changes will make it unsafe to can. The vinegar is needed in even the pressure canned version, just the smaller amount. Otherwise the processing time would be longer. How much ? I can't say for certain since we don't know the ph or the density of it. It would need to be safety tested at a lab.

Salsas are VERY critical in making safely in order to prevent botulism. Annie had this recipe tested before giving it out.

I found the same recipe "Annies Salsa" on recipezaar under the title wonderful salsa

8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained

2 1/2 cups onions, chopped

1 1/2 cups green peppers

1 cup jalapeno peppers, chopped

6 garlic cloves, minced

2 teaspoons cumin

2 teaspoons pepper

1/8 cup canning salt

1/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup vinegar

1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce

1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste

as you can see the only difference is the amount of vinegar and the cilantro

The recipe calls for mixing everything together and cooking it for 10 minutes, put into hot steril jars, seal and waterbath for 10 minutes.

It is not safe to do in a boiling water bath for that little amount of acid added. The amount of vinegar is critical. That is not even enough acid for the tomatoes alone, so adding any other low acid vegetables makes it totally unsafe like that. The whole product must be treated as a low acid product.

Originally Posted By: suzann
I found the same recipe "Annies Salsa" on recipezaar under the title wonderful salsa

8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
2 1/2 cups onions, chopped
1 1/2 cups green peppers
1 cup jalapeno peppers, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste

as you can see the only difference is the amount of vinegar and the cilantro

The recipe calls for mixing everything together and cooking it for 10 minutes, put into hot steril jars, seal and waterbath for 10 minutes.

The amount of jalapeños, tomato sauce and tomato paste are also different from Annie's Salsa recipe, as well as the processing time.

Wonderful Salsa at recipezaar. http://www.recipezaar.com/9272

shrug

They way it's been explained to me before is that we have stronger bacteria and bugs than there were a long time ago. So a canning recipe that may have been safe in 1960 might not be safe now. They recommend using only safely tested recipes from trusted sources such as the Ball Blue Book or the USDA. I had a canning book that my mom used when I was a child, but I tossed it (on the recommendation of the ladies here) because I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'd say it's especially important to listen to the precautions with items that are meant to be eaten out of the jar (like pickles and salsa).