MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Be your Own Doctor

I receive a monthly newsletter from an Amish family that sells organic dairy/meat/produce. The wife talked about going out and gathering different plants for medicinal purposes. She mentioned two books by Rachel Weaver. Their titled "Be your Own Doctor" and "Backyard Pharmacy". I checked on the 'used' price of these books through different sources, and they START at almost $25. They must be good books. :0327:

Do any of you have these books in your 'library'?

I never heard of them so Amazoned them. Yep, $25.00 for each one plus $4.00 shipping. Depending on how pages they are and how much info they cover, it might not be that expensive. Some trashy hard bound 'best seller' novels can run close to that price range...I think. I noticed she has a Vol.2 of Be Your Own Doctor and a book Be Your Child's Pediatrician. My local library doesn't have any of them. I'd want to see them before I bought them. Amazon didn't show a table of contents.

I don't know. I think money's only value is what you put on it personally. I know I spend money on things others wouldn't and I would never spend money on some things other people do. Depends on your own personal comfort and safety and joy.

Edited: But wait, there's more.

I found it at another site for $20.32. I'd check what they charge for shipping first.

http://www.natureswarehouse.net/Be-Your-Own-Doctor_p_545.html

And on this site you can read the first 11 pages including the table of contents.

http://www.drmomsherbs.com/store/products/be-your-own-doctor/

Edited by Jeepers
  • 3 years later...
17 minutes ago, out_of_the_ordinary said:

Homesteader,  did you end up buying any of those books? 

I had the book "Where there is no Doctor". We used to take it with us on trips. It was recommended by survival sites around the y2k era. I didn't buy the ones from Rachel Weaver.

• Like 1

I really disliked Where There Is No Doctor when I read it.  No, dude; generic acetaminophen is not a cheaper equivalent of any other painkiller out there.  Also, some herbal concoctions are in fact safe and effective.  Are any of the updates more accurate and less condescending?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ambergris, I do have to agree with your take on Where there is no Doctor. Mine is a much older version and I don't know what the newer ones have. You really have to read between the lines on that one.  You are right about what it says on the acetaminophen. There are cheaper ones. I am going to check out the Rachael Weaver books. Hoping to find them cheaper than 25.00.  But will think on that one. 

Right now I am reading a book by Cat Ellis.  The Wuhan coronavirus survival manual. how to prepare for pandemics and quarantines. This one has a great deal of info that will help us to prepare. I am still reading it and so far I like what it has to say.

I am halfway through this book and it is well worth buying. It explains a great deal about how it is passed from person to person. Where it started and much more. Like I said, I am only half way through this book and it is well worth the read. It gives symptoms and much more.  It also explains the stages of the disease if you get it. This is good stuff to know.

Edited by Littlesister
  • Like 1