MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Manual Vacuum Pump

I recently saw the following YouTube Video

)

showing how to use a manual vacuum pump w/gauge to seal mason jars with the FoodSaver jar adapter. This seems to be an excellent option in situations where power is not available. Unfortunately the video does not show where to build or purchase such a vacuum pump.

I did a quick search on Amazon.com (even better sometimes than Ebay.com for finding stuff) and found this link:

http://www.amazon.co...and+Vacuum+Pump

I also found a link at Instructables.com for converting a Bicycle Pump for about $20, but it does require some DIY expertise.

http://www.instructa...$20-by-convert/

Edited by Canned Nerd

How cool is that!!! Thanks for the post. I already have the jar adaptors so a hand pump would be great if the power went off and I couldn't use my Food Saver. I have a lot of dehydrated food that I like to vacuum seal too. Plus free physical therapy to strenghten the ole hand/arm muscles.

I'll try Freight Harbor or maybe even an auto supply store like Auto Zone etc. locally next week.

At the most famous "big box" store, I purchased 2 Ziplock hand vacume units. They work great if you don't have power or ??? I've used the push pin method to store lettuce, tomatoes etc., in my frig for quick use. But I much prefer my food saver vacume...and it's accompanying cannister set that lets me re-use baby food jars for spices, olive jars etc...anything glass that has the gasket seal in the top. Hugs!

I still have (and use) a hand pumped jar sealer! (Think of a small balloon pump or one to fill basketballs)

you can use any jar-screw top or canning jar.

First you use a tack to punch a hole in the top, and then you take a piece of tape (with a small rubber piece on it- looks like a Band-Aid) over the hole.

Then you put the pump with suction thingy over that and start pumping!

IF you need to get out a bit of whatever you have in jar just lift the tape a bit, the air rushes back in and then you just put back on the lid and pump again and it seals!

How cool is that! It has to be over 25years old and still works!

:AmishMichaelstraw:

• 3 months later...

I'll keep a watch on my lids. Opened a jar of salsa night before last, and couldn't eat it all (naturally) so wiped down the mouth of jar, the lid, put it into my largest sized vacume cannister, hooked up the hose, vacume sealed it right back, and into the frig it went. Should last a long, long time there. Told Mountain Man...do you realize how much money that machine and it's attachments has saved us this past year?! He just grinned and said "yeah, I do".

• 4 months later...

Found these at Menard's for about $10 a set. Bought two, may have a time when I'll need to have a manual way to vacume seal. I have used my ziplock manual sealer so many times to re-seal jars that I'm going to put into the frig (using the push pin method) but this type will be so much handier than pulling out my food saver cannister caps to re-seal. Either way, you can bet I'll be putting them to good use!