MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Moving through time

Going to try to start a small journal and update as needed.

As of today, we are living out in the country on a small piece of land on my bill's ranch. I have a chicken coop about 3/4 or more built. Hope to complete and move it in the next few days. Then build the run. Hopefully get our garden tilled soon as bil has left the tiller at his home (not ranch).

DH still has something undiagnosed and we still don't have insurance but are working on it. He can do a little around the house but can't work at this time.

It's been just over a year since my Buddy (schnauzer) passed and I still cry but am getting better. Peanut Butter is such a little blessing! Lucee and Molly are doing great!

I am working about 19 hours a week (2 and 1/4 days) at a little mom and pop grocery store. Sometimes at the holidays, I help make cheesecakes for a small dairy. Love both things I do.

Recent activities: A friend gave me a couple of marigolds that I potted and put on front porch. I planted two rosemary bushes in front yard. I have an elderberry bush from a cutting that is starting well in the front yard also. Planted 3 parsley plants in a cattle waterer in the back(mostly for chickens) and I have onions and garlic in small lick tubs. I have mint (can't kill that stuff) and ginger growing on back porch. Our dogs tend to eat bunny poop in the back yard so I am now successfully spraying for bunnies around the fenceline. Vinegar, cayenne pepper and garlic juice works! Not spraying by garden right now since it isn't tilled free fertilizer is fine.

I am finally preparing to make soap for the first time! Took a while to gather tools and ingredients, but I'm there now!

I think that is a good start! I'll add some photos later--if I can figure out how again. LOL

Well, the coop is less than a day from being done so of course it is supposed to rain for the next 2 days. Then we get the tractor and move it, hopefully Sunday. I'm working the next 2 days. Sunday I hope to get some jalapenos planted. Not sure if I will get soap made Sunday or Monday.

Plans are made to be changed. Coop hopefully finished and moved tomorrow. No soap yet or jalapenos but I did get a couple of azaleas to plant in the front and another rosemary shrub. Also planting lettuce in a container on the porch as it's too hot here to leave it in the garden in the summer. Hoping to plant tomorrow and help with coop. Tuesday to town for a haircut! Wednesday back to work. Have a good week and Happy belated Mothers Day!

Yup, my plans rarely are accomplished on their first schedule too.

Lettuce was a complete failure in my garden in February. It sprouted, withered and died. Too hot. I might try to see if it grows any better in October/November. LOL, see, there I go again 'planning'. Hope yours grows bountifully.

• 3 weeks later...

WE HAVE CHICKENS!!! And a garden of sorts!!! Monday I planted tomatoes and bell peppers, red beans and black beans. Still have to get seeds for cantelope, watermelon and pumpkins. I have two lick tubs full of dirt and not sure what to put in yet.

We got 5 Buff Orpingtons from a lady getting out of chickens. These were her last 5 and very friendly! There were two eggs in the nest box when we went to get the chickens and two more this afternoon after they had been here and settled a bit. This is a great day for me! Have been looking forward to chickies for a couple of years! Got to work tomorrow and that's about it for now!

Which spring storm....the foot+ of snow..soggy, heavy snow? Or our recent pouring rain, plus hail so deep it looked like snow and sounded like an apocalypse on the roof? Rain + hail produced flooding like a rice paddy. Seriously, I had ducks swimming in the pasture and horses stuck on a narrow strip of high ground. Ice water running everywhere and pond overflowing. Had to go via the road ...then climb thru 4-strand barb to put get to old horse to put her blankie on....... AFTER the hours of CRACKING lightning quit. :0327:

But now it's very green in our pastures and fire danger going into the deadly month of June is lessened. .....for now, at least. And yes, the horses are fine but I keep waiting to ride. She has been stressed with the cold/wet and I wait long enough for the next bit of weather to hit and stress her system again. .....now if the idiots would just go into the horse shed and get outta the weather... :wacko:

LOL....OCD on chicken coop is a GOOD thing! We've lost ducks.....er...rather, parts of ducks to ermine. Nasty things, tho pretty in winter. Feral dogs....coyotes.....fox....bobcat.... Bear tried once but didn't try very hard....or it would have been successful. Only iron keeps bears out. Worst has been neighboring dogs. They kill multiples but not for food. Carcasses left.

MtRider :wave:

WE HAVE CHICKENS!!! And a garden of sorts!!! Monday I planted tomatoes and bell peppers, red beans and black beans. Still have to get seeds for cantelope, watermelon and pumpkins. I have two lick tubs full of dirt and not sure what to put in yet.

We got 5 Buff Orpingtons from a lady getting out of chickens. These were her last 5 and very friendly! There were two eggs in the nest box when we went to get the chickens and two more this afternoon after they had been here and settled a bit. This is a great day for me! Have been looking forward to chickies for a couple of years! Got to work tomorrow and that's about it for now!

Buff Orpingtons...that's what will roam our cabin grounds ... when we're able to find our grounds :-)

I had to work all day and it wasn't easy. Kept wanting to call dh and see how they were as it has rained all day and supposed to continue into tomorrow afternoon. 3" so far. Much worse to our south! Had to catch them and put them in the coop again tonight. I hope they will get the ladder soon.

Mt. Rider, I was reading a post about the horses and the blankets and the shed. You have had your share and more of storms, haven't you?

These hens are really sweet and eat right out of my hand already.

We've had 5" rain so far and much worse where BIL lives in Louisiana. They've had 16" in the same amount of time. My hens are slightly bedraggled but still laying. Pretty sure they don't think they are in paradise right now. We should have a fairly clear morning and then rain in the afternoon tomorrow so will be cooking out in the morning. My red beans are sprouting and the tomatoes are getting too much water. The jalapenos and parsley are loving it along with the elderberry bush!

I gave Lucee (schnauzer) and Peanut Butter (good question- small and fluffy) tubbies and haircuts today and made a triple recipe of shortbread. Cleaned out chicken coop which is leaking. I will have to figure out what to do soon.

SIXTEEN INCHES OF RAIN?? :o We're flooding if we get a half-inch in the wrong place. Seriously. 'Course we're talking steep mountain terrain but.... We measure in tenths of an inch....usually.

MtRider ....still having the rice-paddy-affect after rain here.

Didn't rain too much today so I grilled some chicken and hot dogs this morning. Washed all the bedding this afternoon. When you have clean dogs, you want clean bedding for them and us! It was a 3 egg day so that is good also. Don't remember having chickens I could pet before.

Here are a couple of the girls! The coop! My redneck air conditioner, and the back yard view. If they will load for me.

Today we put a heavier tarp over the coop run and did a few finishing touches. I planted watermelon seeds, cantaloupe, sugar pumpkin and some snap beans. My tomatoes are still looking rough from too much rain last week.

Dinner was a roasted chicken (not one of the girls), new potatoes from my friends garden and fresh snap beans from another friends garden. Peach cobbler for dessert. I am done for the day!

post-45-0-36324700-1402279466_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-23163100-1402279473_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-03254700-1402279479_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-77687600-1402279485_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-80583900-1402279492_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-31552400-1402279499_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-30718500-1402279505_thumb.jpg

Edited by snapshotmiki

The hens and dogs are doing well and the garden is finally starting to grow. Yesterday, I made pulled pork in the crockpot for either tortillas or sloppy joes with a Mexican taste! Also green jello flop. Doesn't sound good but was easy and is great. You mix it in the blender! Also cooked sausage, bacon and potatoes for the week. Today, I have cleaned out and organized my office/storage room/sewing and craft/guest room. One room for everything is just not enough!!! Had a friend tell me that I should fry fresh green beans and squash so I may try that later. Hope you all have a good week!

• 2 weeks later...

Woohoo! Had a 4 egg day today! Doesn't take much to get me happy out here! The chickens are almost floating with all the rain again but hope it is over for now. Garden is growing and I spotted two blooms on a tomato so maybe they will turn around and produce. Finally making soap tomorrow for the first time. And we now have a doctor appt. with SS doctor for dh in a month or so. I am sugar free now and have been for a few days. No problems yet. Not eating white flour either. Feel better already!