MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Fabric-holic! Admit Your Addiction!

cookiejar

Yes; tackle boxes are the best sewing boxes, aren't they?...many more adjustable compartments for organizing things than the boxes sold as sewing boxes.

I have one for fabric painting too; the compartments are the perfect size for the little squeeze bottles of fabric paint, too.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like tackle boxes better than regular sewing boxes, so much bigger with so much more usable space. My Dh was given a bunch of the soft sided ones by a friend who had an outlet store, he would give DH any that had one of the small compartment zippers broken, was stained etc. He uses them for medical kits for the house, truck, so on. He wondered what he was going to do with all the extra plastic compartments. He need not have dispaired. I put them to good use.

Gargage sales are also wonderful places to find sewing, craft items.

• 3 months later...

Fabric-o-holicism comes in waves. It's like an autoimmune disease that flares up now and again with unpredictable regularity. One day, you think you're cured, and the next, you are hauling home a couple of bolts of fabric with the full intent of making aprons and dog beds, and canvas bags to tote the cast iron on camping trips. You find yourself picking through fleece remnants in July, dreaming of making warm things for next winter.

In the midst of canning season, you suddenly have the urge to ...dare I say it? SEW...

Yet nothing in the stash is ever quite spot on for the project in mind. Besides, the "stash" is preps, right? Can't diminish THAT...gotta go get new fabric...gotta go get new fabric...just HAVE to .......

::::::::Snicker::::::::: I'm guilty.

Guilty here too. busted

I have enough fabric stashed away to make umpteen quilts...in an emergency stiuation of course. Hope it don't all dry rot before I can get to it. Then there are the quilt tops I actually made that need quilted. Those are my winter projects. (Three winters ago) I won't mention the tote bags I'm gonna make. Or the lap quilts. Or the eye pillows...

I feel a flare up coming on. sewing

M23B looking around room, good no fabric in site.

Addiction? I know not of this addiction of which you speak of. Fabric-holic not I says M23B (as she eyes the quilting tote sitting by the chair). darlene

Originally Posted By: mommato3boys

Addiction? I know not of this addiction of which you speak of. Fabric-holic not I says M23B (as she eyes the quilting tote sitting by the chair). darlene

Cookie sneaks up behind M3Bs back and pulls the quilting cutter out of M3Bs back pocket...

AH HA!! and I suppose your going to tell me this is for trimming pie crust?
Originally Posted By: cookiejar
Originally Posted By: mommato3boys

Cookie sneaks up behind M3Bs back and pulls the quilting cutter out of M3Bs back pocket...

AH HA!! and I suppose your going to tell me this is for trimming pie crust?

Uhm Uhm ...(think think) No as a matter of fact, I was uhmmmm scrap booking. You know ds#3 graduates in a few weeks and I was trying to get his senior scrap book in order. Yeah that's it scrap booking. That is my story and I am sticking to it. whistling

Oh man,why oh why do you guys do this? flowersmilie

Although I'm a teacher, I have a part-time home business as a seamstress (I have a machine that embroiders and it IS a legimate business, believe me I pay taxes!)....I am so NOT confessing....because you see, it's all tax deductible...

OKAY, fine....here's my contribution

busted

You are addicted to Fabric IF:

You have wholesale discounts with a thread company and more shades than four plastic shoe boxes can hold...

bow

You have three 'shades' of invisible thread

You have a 50 gallon (YES) bag of coiled batting in the basement because it was FREE

eek

Your business stash is greater or equivalent to your personal stash

Your latest contribution to the ladies' sewing circle in your Congregation was three four spools of thread...

You have at least five models/sizes/types of irons (Lg. Rowenta, travel Rowenta, back-up craft iron (cheap Sunbeam), clover craft iron, industrial clover-style iron.

Your stabilizer stash is too big to fit under the bed, it has to have its own shelf (in a tote of course).

:cool1:

You have cut out Rageddy Ann babies but only completed the hands...the children you made them for are now almost 2,3,and 5.

And you just bought some remnants for those cute plaid Raggedy Andy shirts...it was only .79!

Your cat usually has thread on her tail or whiskers from chasing her toy into your sewing area....

Umm...about your post - the pillbox re-creation, not quite...

The 5 bins of cloth, weeeellll, maybe 3.

The hiding of fabric - oh yeah, it's what makes my marriage happy

Sewing notions? In fabric stores, not too much, but ONLINE, oh baby!

Ummm...patterns? Does this count the homemade ones? Does it include costumes, crafts, ummm...over 60 at best guess.

rollingeyes

Regarding the scissors - I have inherited the SCREEEEECH regarding, "NOOOOO! THOSE ARE MY GOOD SCISSORS!" BTW, does anyone know of a good scissor sharpener?

My soul feels slightly purged now...MUST...GO....LOOK....ONLINE....CAN'T ....STOP...

roflroflthanks

Originally Posted By: Abigail
That's not a rotary cutter...it's a PIZZA cutter...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!!

bouquet

I have one one of those 'pizza' cutters too! It's very sharp and you can even change the wheel when it gets dull. whistling

girl

I'm so glad I'm not addicted.

I mean, it can't be an addiction if you don't actually BUY, is it?

noyes

Just because I get on the 'puter late at night and *look* at the fabrics on eBay... coffee2

Mind you... I don't buy, just *look*...

Oh, and someimes I save a picture if it looks like an interesting pattern... angel

But it sure can't be an *ADDICTION*...

right??? shrug

whistling

busted

I have a *small* problem parting with fabric...

I even have a pile that is so nice I can't bear to use it blush I just get it out and look at it now and again!

I have 3 machines (I'm a seamstress by trade) and since I discovered Ebay 8 years ago there's really no hope for me!I love the American fabrics,ours over here are just plain dull by comparison and the quality of your cotton beats ours hands down.

I'm afraid I'm a hopeless case crazy

Dee sweetie,

your are definitely a member..alas

and a new catagory for intervention!

If you buy fabric with NO plans of using..just to haveeeeee

rofl

How about this one?

If you've coveted someone elses sewing machine.

Dee62...I can relate to that not wanting to use some fabric because it's so cool you haven't found exactly the right thing to make with it.

How about this? I also have a thing for buttons. I once bought some beautiful buttons and then hunted for years for just the right fabric to go with it!

Quote:
If you've coveted someone elses sewing machine.

Ooooo. busted You got me. I could hide it till this one came up.

Especially if it's a serger or one of those really cool embroidery machines or a treadle machine or....

Babysteps babysteps...sigh what are we going to do with you?

Okay, if you can see a sewing machine for just a moment and identify it.

If you've been to any historical site and coveted the sewing machine in the display.

if you've ever taken a picture of it.

If you have pictures of your sewing machine.

grin

Well, I used to be like this, then I figured out what to do with the fabric. Sew it into diapers for soon to be baby! Then, when baby finally decides to make an appearance, I can look at said yummy fabric on a little baby bum. smile There, problem solved.

Except, now I want to buy more fabric so I can make matching t-shirts smile I guess you never win.

ooh now a treadle machine I would love one of these if I had room whistling

I had a link somewhere how to convert treadle to electric and vice versa but need to find it again!(Handy to have just in case..)

I'd be lost without my machines so need them up and running even when the power fails.Its a handy trade to have for 'bartering' if need be grin

Hey, I was just wonderin'...

Quote:
You go ballistic if someone uses your good scissors

This isn't me, of course... whistling Um... A FRIEND was wondering if having a couple of spare "good" scissors hidden away counts?

Y'know... buying in bulk. whistling

Hey, that's it. I'm not addicted, I'm buying in bulk.

Um, I mean, my FRIEND is...

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Im doing really well. I have about four carriers and one box of material, however, I have an understairs cupboard crammed with other sowing stuff. I just can't pass the material box in any charity shop. If it's cotton it gets kept for all those patchwork quilts I have yet to make.

NB. I had two beautiful bits of material I used with 14 oz wading to make a quilt, only for the dog to claim it. :huh: He snuggles up on every night with a smirk on his face. :lol:

Archived