MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Thanksgiving Plans

Momo

Cancelled our plans to have our annual "Thanksgiving In The Woods" ... have decided that we probably won't do them at all anymore unless we can leave for the full winter months..like, November through March :-) Now that we have Miss B we can do day trips & over-nighters if we want, so we're planning to have a quiet Thanksgiving like many of you, right here at home with Wifey (me) doing the cooking. Will enjoy it anyway, having my big oven to do everything in. We have a nice sized turkey breast which we enjoy every year regardless of where we've celebrated this holiday, and all the trimmings. Have done all our shopping so we're "wintered in" for the next couple of months or so (could go til March) , other than eggs & milk. I absolutely love Thanksgiving! It's my #1 favorite holiday!

Probably going to make the pumpkin pies and do some sides and have Thanksgiving with my friends, M and L , down the street. They will get and cook a turkey. We both have very small kitchens so it works out to divide up the whole dinner, and less effort on either of us. It would be nice.

My folks and I are dividing the work and oven space too. I'm doing stuffing [not in bird] cuz no room in their oven. They're doing turkey, taters/gravy. Cranberry sauce, pickles, buns....they've got all that. I MIGHT try the sweet potato brownies that Euphrasyne (sp) posted recipe for. Sounds good and can be made ahead of time.

But DH and I will trek over to my folks....and TV for the day. Take phone calls from kids and brother.

MtRider :amen: Thankful for much this year....mostly that we're all still here to celebrate.

it looks like friends down the street got an invite from old friends of L , who wants to go there. I know he is not long on the earth these days....... waiting for another aneurysm to take him for good, any moment so I wish them a good time. Looks like its just me and Miss Macy this time.

Boy did we run on to some bargains ... and found us another "plain people" store, even though it's quite a drive. They announced via a local internet provider that they were doing a "trial run" on meats. People could order on the phone or drive there for 1st come 1st service. We now have our freezers stocked for many, many months! It was worth the drive for us :-)

FOR SALE:

Frozen Bulk Meat

Meat Deals @ Kuntry Bulk
11217 Brandon Rd
Windsor MO 65360

Smoked Canadian Bacon (sliced)
3# bags for $1.50 a pound / 20# case for $25

Regular Bacon (sliced) – OR - Maple Bacon (sliced)
10# box for $25

Spare Ribs
5# package for $1.75 a pound / 30# case for $45

Pollock Fish Fillets
10# box for $25 / 40# case for $90

Hamburger Patties
20# box for $50

Turkey Wings
6# package for $1.50 a pound / 24# case for $1.25 per pound

Smoked Sliced Ham
5# package for $1.50 a pound / 40# case for $1.25 per pound

Farmland Brand Bologna
1# package $1.25 / 12 packages for $12

Corned Beef (sliced)
2# package for $5 / 12# case for $27

Jimmy Dean Sausage
1# rolls for $1.75 / 12#’s for $20

Whole Smoked Turkeys
Approximately 10 # at $1.25 per pound

Diced Turkey Ham
5# bags $5

Turkey Sausage
1# trays @ $1.25 per pound

Available Nov 21st / Dec 5th / Dec 19th
We guarantee all the meat to be good
Place your order now (must come to the store to place order)
Or - “first come first serve”

Since I am on a lo carb diet and DH is diabetic I am making less food than usual. I will only make enough dressing for one large helping for him and I'll just mash about 3 potaotes and about a cup of gravy. I know if I make more we will both be tempted to eat too much. I will just have turkey to my hearts content and a nice green salad. His dessert will be some orange/cranberry sauce. I know if I bake a pie it will tempt us both! lol Here's hoping I don't fall off the wagon.

I have the stuff to make sweet potatoes, GF stuffing, cheesy garlic biscuits, and mashed potatoes, plus a box of gravy. DMIL is considering buying a ham, which comes with a free turkey, so I'll probably end up cooking a turkey at some point. Friends have been told they're welcome to show up if they need an escape from their families.

:hi:

It is time..... we get on the road today. Going to be an adventure with the ferrets and dog in the back seat together. :animal0017: Last time, I put the ferrets in the front seat and I sat with the dog in the back. This time, he needs to learn.

Silly dog. I gave him a bath 4 days ago, to try to remove some of the layers of shedding hair. He looked so shinny. In 4 days that brat has taken several dirt baths every day! Yesterday, I brushed him for an hour trying to remove some of the dust and more of his shedding coat. :shakinghead:

:pc_coffee: Everything is packed up waiting for me to get off the computer and load up the vehicle. I am waiting for day light, then, I will get started.

roast chicken (for just the two of us that is the right size) with homemade stuffing, creamed taters, broccoli, etc. My family is all over the country, and rm's are nearly all deceased, so we make our own traditions. Watching football, cheering on 'our' Packers & taking a day off from packing up and fixing up the house for sale in the spring. Not to mention, being grateful for all the blessings we have enjoyed the last year, esp my brother and all his invaluable help putting in a new furnace and weatherizing the house!

No turkey here. Hubby is on call so we can't travel to see the boys. So a new tradition starts - crab stuff filets, crab stuff mushrooms, shrimp scampi with angel hair pasta, garlic roasted asparagus, and cheese cake. Since it just the two of us I can splurge.

Our backup plan ...never know in the Rockies when you might be snowed-in......is always to have a Little Bird in the freezer. The Cornish game hens can be thawed out easily and something can be found to eat with it. So far we've only had to do that once. Weather is supposed to be good.

MtRider :unsure: