MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Neat tea gadget

TXQFMom

My mom sent dh & I each for Christmas a *tea ball*. It is an small individual glass pot and has a nice sized SS strainer in it. It holds 2 MUG fulls of tea... just add hot water and steep.

We have loved having these.

I normally make herb tea for iced tea using a {{blush}} new trouser sock tied closed (then washed and only used for tea... NOT WEARING LOL), but this has been perfect for winter!

My dh had had some old tea steeping spoons when we married, but they do NOT hold much.

Although I buy herbs in bulk dh was still buying chamomille tea bags for himself so hot tea to help him relax... he now loves the tea from his tea ball and is THRILLED with the $$ savings!

k6810.001?wid=535&hei=472&op_sharpen=1

Does this work?

Put a trendy touch in your tea time with this 2-1/2 cup brewer. Its plastic outer shell surrounds the glass liner. The removable mesh brew basket holds loose tea or tea bags. A lid tops it off to prevent steam from escaping. Wipe outer shell with damp cloth. Rinse basket with hot water. Glass liner is dishwasher safe.

Measures 6"L x 5"W x 5-1/2"H.

Blue, White, Pink, Green, Purple, or Black.

I sometimes do like granny did. Steep the looseleaf tea in a ceramic teapot, then put one of those little strainers under the spout when you pour the tea into your cup. Now I'm hankering for some mint tea! Might just as well, maybe it will help my breathing a bit. Wind is from the north today and that always stirs up my asthma for some reason. My neighbor says it is the mountain cedar, but I don't know for sure.

• 5 months later...

I've always just used the stainless steel tea balls - the cheap, no frills ones that are either perforated or mesh. You just fill the ball with loose tea and drop it into the tea pot. In summer, I make a gallon of iced tea per day, generally, and I drop it right into the gallon container and let it steep in hot water until dark.

I don't think I've ever paid more than $2 or $3 for a tea ball. It has been awhile since I've needed to buy one, so I'm sure with inflation they might be more now.

Tea is much cheaper to buy loose, in bulk, over the little tea bags. It is another way to stretch those pennies!

Originally Posted By: Stephanie

and this place shows lots of nifty tea balls,I think like what you're referring to cowgirl.

http://www.fantes.com/tea-infusers.html

Yes, those are the types I have and use. They work great, and you can use them in your teapot or in a large jar or whatever container you want to make tea in.

I end up making tea *concentrate*... then we just add water & ice to make gallons otherwise I'd be making tea 24/7....

My dh & the boy of the day take a 2 gal thermos of mint tea everyday and the dc at home go through at least 1 more gal.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Originally Posted By: Stephanie

and this place shows lots of nifty tea balls,I think like what you're referring to cowgirl.

http://www.fantes.com/tea-infusers.html

Now THAT is a lot of tea strainers!

I do have some of them and like the one (have it) that looks like a coffee filter (plastic) for when I go out in herb garden and gather leaves to make a 'fresh' pot of tea (more room). I just clip it (clothes pin works) to a 3 quart measuring cup (glass) put in herb leaves and add boiling water. Let steep for a while then pour into teapot.

:AmishMichael2:

Archived