MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Making meat purchase stretch

Since it is just hubby and me now I can make 3 or 4 meals when it used to feed us for one meal. One of the stores just had chicken breast bone in with skin for $1 a pound I think I bought 6 or 7 packs. One breast will make a meal for us. Those things are huge. Kicking myself now for not opening them and prying them apart(they were frozen when I bought them) and freezing them separately. Oh well just have to plan 3 chicken meals when I do get a pack out of the freezer.

One thing about chicken, it's easily incorporated into lots of meals. I cook a bunch, then chunk or slice or just leave whole to re-freeze as a VERY easy "go-to" meal starter. Thaw, chop, use!

Beef and pork are, too, but I just find chicken easy to use in a lot of different meals. That and ground beef, which I often cook ahead & re-freeze, too.

I find that I get a better deal by buying a whole chicken and cut up myself. That way I can use the carcass and boil it up with whatever veggies I have in the fridge to make soup or stocks then freeze for later.

Also, I have been buying medium ground beef for the past 3 or 4 years for $2.99 a pound. The grocery store I go to didn't have any for a couple of weeks and last week they reappeared but are now $4.89 a pound for the same thing. Guess I won't be buying anymore unless it goes on sale.

• 4 weeks later...

One trick I use is that I buy beef flavor TVP. Then I freeze .75 lb bags of hamburger meat. When I defrost it, I mix 1c TVP and 2C water with it to make tacos. I can usually get a 5lb chub of ground meat on sale for about $8 or $10 and I usually buy several when they do go on sale. It works best in dishes with 'loose' meat rather than meatloaf as the TVP doesn't hold as well and you have to add an extra egg if you want to use it that way.