MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 4

MamaTiger

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay what are 'ford hooks'?

Sound like something like a tow truck made by ford.

Ilove black eyed peas. I haven't had them for ages! Next to garbanzo beans they are my favorite. I can eat G right outta the can. You might be a redneck....

MamaTiger, I am exhausted just reading your accomplishments! I canned (Jarred, as Grandson would say) 29 pints of applesauce today and now I have to find the energy to scrub down the kitchen. I have apple "droppings" all over the place! Yeah! What are fordhooks? Hugs! Shari

Originally Posted By: MamaTiger
Virginia is right. smile It's a southern bean.

We are picking pecans right now and I have peanuts hanging to dry out as well. I want to have some roasted for eating and some to make butters as well.

I have the opprotunity to buy pecans (unshelled) for a dollar a lb. I am going to take advantage of it. With shipping it winds up closer to 2 dollars a lb but that is still MUCH cheaper than we can get them here. I envy you your pecan tree...and the fact that you can grow peanuts there!

We were going to plant a pecan tree here, but apparently it takes longer than I have in this house for them to start bearing fruit.

Even if it doesn't start producing pecans yet, pick up the twigs/smallbranches it drops and use them for smoking. Pork butt roast smoked over pecan makes for some of best bbq I've ever had. Serve it on some homemade onion buns with bbq sauce of your choice. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I made some simple blueberry jam and froze some apples.

My son cracked some black walnuts for me that we pick up each year. Not as many this year but so very good.

Angela, is the pecan place anything that can be shared ?

The trees I have were planted by my great grandfather. smile They are almost 100 years old now and aren't making as much as they used to. We picked up 50 lbs yesterday and another 50 lbs today.

We have been cracking them and packaging them in 10 lb bags and dh has been selling them for $2 a lb along with his fruit.

I need to get some shelled out for us and in the freezer.

Half a dozen pig trotters, a dozen confit duck wings, twelve pints of green (zucchini) soup and twelve pints of brown soup (mushroom), and lots of little jars of leftover duckfat.

The dehydrator is keeping us warm and drying mushrooms, celery, green and red peppers, and greenbeans.

39 quarts of turkey/peas/carrots/onions/broth for turkey potpie, turkey and noodles, and turkey and dumplings. I filled the jars, half full of turkey, then half full of hot veggies, and covered with broth, I made with the roasted turkey bones. The jars are filled with "stuff," so I PC'd for 90 mins. Four turkeys down, four to go! Those I will can, just turkey and broth, for casseroles.

Archived