MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Purchasing Used Canners

Okay, I acquired a used Presto canner over the weekend and I already own another used canner. I have $3 invested in the two of them.

I know the Presto canner needs a weight and I'd like to put a new gasket in it even though the gasket looks good.

I've heard of having a canner tested to make sure it works properly.

Do any of you have any experience with this? Where do I have them tested and what exactly are they testing?

I hate to sound dense here but I've never canned using a pressure canner, only a waterbath canner.

I just want to make sure that I'm taking all the necessary precautions. Thanks in advance for your response.

Yes, we have a couple of county extension offices in the nearby area. I don't guess it would matter which one I went to.

Do I have to take the whole canner or just the lid? I guess I should call them and make sure they know what to do when I bring it in.

• 1 month later...

If you can't find the part, use the old pressure cooker as a water still. You make a thick dough. You need about 15 - 20 feet of copper tubing/pipe. Make a couple of circles with the tubing and bend it down and place the end in another large pan. Fill the old pressure cooker with water...add some marbles to the bottom so you know when it's empty. Add the lid. Place one end of the tubing over the stand thing for the weight and place the dough around it...it will cook and make a seal. The water will boil and recondense in the tubing and drip into the second pan.

• 1 month later...

Boy I wish I could find some used canners, and used jars up here. Most every one has taken to canning lately. Looked on Ebay for a used canner and the one I found was going to cost more than the one up here new. Havent been able to find used jars so I went to cotsco and all their pints were sold out. Went to Walmart and the same. Seems like folks are trying to get ready for something. Jars are normally 9.50 per case and were on sale for 7.50 or so...they were gone in a heart beat.

• 1 month later...

oooooooooooooops, I musta missed this one.

I order pallets of jars directly from the manufacturer, Jarden Home Brands, located in Indiana.

As far as the fruits/veggies go, I get them either from the farmlands down here, or like for the apples, I'm going up to Georgia next week to get about 400lbs of apples to bring home. Now, I'm making this trip a multi purpose trip, but I'm taking advantage of having to do one thing, to bring home a volume of apples to be home canned.

SOMEtimes, the grocery stores during the season will have ridiculously low prices on something, so I'll take advantage of that. The www.pickyourown.org site can help you find farms close where you live.

• 2 months later...

Where did you end up going for your apples Darlene? We like to go to Ellijay- Hillcrest Orchards. Or should I say- DID. MIL has an apple tree in her backyard that we thought the apples were just gross looking. Come to find out, they're just DIRTY. Scrub them up and they are beautiful. She was going to cut it down til I told her that they were fine and told her I'd keep her yard cleaned up in exchange for apples. I figure we'll get a LOT of applesauce, butters and cinnamon rings from it. I cannot wait til the fall (LOL).

Oh wow A05, that is awesome you can just pick your apples for free!

I got mine in Ellijay also...I can't remember the name of the apple orchard off hand, but I think it started with a "M" lol.

They sure made the most awesome applesauce, spiced apples, and apple pie filling!

Mac's is another up there. Funny story. DH & I were driving to Blue Ridge a few years ago to go camping. Well I, not being from the South, always tend to have a little "fun" with the words y'all & yonder. So as we're driving a long, we see a sign- "Mac's Apple House, 3 miles yonder." We get 3 miles down the road and all of a sudden I start yelling at DH- "Look honey!!! It's yonder!!! I FINALLY know where YONDER is!!!" ROFL!!!

• 2 months later...

Wild Horse Orchards in NEKS near McLouth is a great place for interesting apples. Have gotten my apples there for the last two years.

AS far as finding used pressure canners, try the Goodwill/Salvation Army stores, and especially church rummage sales. My Walmart has jars of all sizes up thru quart, and lids, rings etc.

Darlene told me about a pick your own website that shows you pick your own places near you (I cant for the life of me find it)

But out here we have a pick your own place that does plums peaches pears and apples. I do alot of thrift store shopping for jars and I have a very loving grandma in law that has been sending me jars also.

• 4 months later...

There's an orchard near Ellijay called Mercier. I didn't have any luck getting a canner on eBay and now I'm back at work so it's a bit harder to keep up with auctions since eBay gets filtered out at work. I guess I'll look for fruit to make jams and butters til I can get the big gun. Think of me as your canning goodies. I have a few students I'll probably wish I could can.

I'm sorry you haven't found one yet MtnMama. If you ever have anything specific that you want you can, you can always borrow one of mine if you'd like.

Don't can the kids...the USDA frowns upon that.

darlene

lol

Have you checked with some of the older ladies in your church or neighborhood who still live in their own homes? They often have one stuck away somewhere they will loan or give or sell for a reasonable price. Before you buy be sure you can still get seals and other parts.

If you take your canner to the extension office they will check it for you. If you are having the pressure gauge tested you only need to take the lid. However, you cannot just walk in and get it tested most places. It has to be scheduled. In my area of Iowa they put notices in the newspaper of testing dates. They usually test at each county's extension office in late May/early June. On occasion they have fall testing dates. I get a card each year with the dates so I suppose they must send a card to everyone who had their canner tested the previous year.

I have two canners purchased at estate auctions for $5 and $10. Both in like new condition.

• 9 months later...

hi I need some help I just picked up a used AAcanner 915 small but the price was right I think,,,,,40.00 plus 4 cases of jars...I got it home and noticed the lid isnt totally flush on one side I can get the clamps on .I mean the lip of the pot and the lid dont totally touch on one side...Any one have info on this I dont have a clue as I have a mirro canner.Ive had my mirro for 3 months and not all that happy with the weight set and look forward to moving up to this canner for safety stuff...I hope to be getting a huge AA canner from this same person shortly sure hope this isnt to good to be true I think ill be getting it cheap as well from a yard sale.Any thoughts on this

The AA you have, if I'm understanding you correctly, should touch metal to metal all the way around. If there isn't a seal around the lid and the body of the canner, then pressure cannot rise and steam will escape.