MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Smoking cheese

Making my first attempt to smoke cheese. I have some sliced provolone and brickcheddar on the smoker, with about 8 briquettes lit and a big pile of wet applewood chips on top of the coals. I am supposed to try to smoke it for 4hrs, but we will see. I also filled the waterbowl in the smoker to act as a heat sink. I don't want the cheese to melt!

How did it turn out?

( I have 15 lbs to go. )

I am waiting til spring, just trying to keep my blood sugars normal and eat the right stuff...... bitter windchills and icy conditions on sidewalks around here keep me in lately. Another few to four weeks and it should start breaking up.

• 4 weeks later...

We do this quite often. Whenever we smoke meat on the smoker, we lay blocks of cheese on foil, smoke till they start to melt a little, take them off to cool, then smoke them until they start to melt again. We do this 3 - 4 times and the results are FANTASTIC! So delicious!!! We usually do cheddar and mozzarella. The cheese is so good on a sandwich or the "Flipz" crackers!