MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

xylitol

carr

I'm just curious .. .do any of the experts know if xylitol .. a sugar substitute ... work in canning?? It is supposed to be a measure for measure exchange for sugar?? Any help would be appreciated!!

I don't know if there are chemical changes that make it taste different or not. Normally it is better to can in either fruit juice or water if you want no sugar added. I know juice is full of natural sugar, though. I am diabetic. I use a light sugar syrup on my fruit. The reason is that sugar not only sweetens, it helps keep the fruit firmer. Water packed fruit is mushy. I don't think any sugar substitute will have the firming affect as sugar in canning. I am allowed to use a light sugar syrup. If you use a heavier syrup, you can process it that way and then rinse off the syrup before eating the fruit.

Xylitol does a major job on my digestive system. I don't eat or use that stuff.

Sorbitol, maltitol, too. Xylitol still has almost 10 calories per teaspoon and sugar has 15. I stick with canning with sugar.

This one I know. Sugar is used as a humectant in food preservation to keep bacteria count down. I learned it in "Better Food Processing". So, the addition of sugar is not for flavor alone, but, as an added safety feature. Does anyone know what happens to xylitol when it is heated?

Thanks!!

The amount of sugar in any canned food, other than jams, will not be enough to affect the safety of the food. It is only for flavor and for firmness otherwise.

It would have to be in proportions of 50 percent or more to affect water activity for safety. Those would be some mighty sugary peaches or other fruit !

I have no idea what happens to the xylitol. The testing of fruits with sweetners hasn't been done with it, that I know of. I do believe it has been done with Splenda and saccharin in the past. I find Splenda fine for jams, but not for fruit or other foods. To me it just doesn't taste right.

You can also ask Crazy4Canning about her experiences with sugar free canning. Her husband is diabetic. She has been doing as I do, use a light syrup in his fruit. That is what I remember her saying. If not, she can correct me on that.

The amount of sugar in any canned food, other than jams, will not be enough to affect the safety of the food. It is only for flavor and for firmness otherwise.

It would have to be in proportions of 50 percent or more to affect water activity for safety. Those would be some mighty sugary peaches or other fruit !

Violet, I am SO glad we have you!

Ok, did some more research.

Yes, Xylitol may be used in canning. It will work in sweet pickled foods and in fruits. It most likely will not work well in jams or jellies. That is one thing I read in the link below. However, you can use it with Pomona's Universal pectin according to the Pomona's site . I don't see why it won't work with Pomona's. That stuff will gel water. Amazing pecin. As to the taste of using xylitol, I don't know. As I said before, it doesn't like my digestive system so I have to avoid it .

Sometimes I do make things just to be able to give feedback, but on this one, I am sorry, I cannot do that. Not worth it to me. Perhaps you will do some preserving with it and report back. That would be great to hear about some people's experiences using xylitol and other sweeteners in canning.

You can read about it here :

http://www.utahcountyonline.org/apps/WebLi...TEN/webpage.pdf

What I have learned about xylitol is that it is a sugar alcohol, as are sorbitol and malitol. Any of the ...itol's are a sugar alcohol.

My sister uses the stuff. She made some ice cream with it. NASTY. YUK. No thanks.

Pigzzilla

thanks again for your input and the links!! :)

Archived