MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Raspberry salsa recipe

Raspberry Salsa

• 8 1/4 cups tomatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 2 cups onion, finely chopped
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup sweet bell pepper, chopped
  • 4-8 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
  • 1 cup raspberry vinegar (5 percent acidity)
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons bottled lime juice
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons pickling salt
  • 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
Cook together until hot. Ladle hot into pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes.

• 1 month later...

I don't see why not, if you use part of the tomato measurement and sub a few raspberries for it.

I am upset, since there was a handy, quick ph chart online from FDA and it is gone !!! I was going to compare the ph of tomatoes and the rapsberries. It is GONE !!

Thank you, Canned Nerd. I had it bookmarked for a long time. Today it was not on there. This is a different web address than before.

NO, never use a ph meter. We never recommend anyone test their own foods. We don't even do it. Food changes in ph as it sits. You may think it is fine, but once canned it can change. Also, this would never help with another critical factor, density.

Please, leave the testing to food safety scientists in the labs.

• 1 year later...

How funny. I googled a raspberry salsa recipe and clicked on one of the pages that came up. I didn't even realize where I was until I saw your picture MommaDogs and started looking around.

Surprise here I was at Mrs. S.

• 2 months later...

I clicked on the link of Canned Nerd's and it says "service unavailable". Did anyone decide if you can substitute say 3 cups of raspberries for the tomatoes? I'd sure like to try this next summer when the tomatoes are ready. Thanks!

So, raspberries are more acidic than tomatoes, right? That really surprises me!

Dee - all fruits, with the exception of figs and Asian pears and a couple of the more uncommon tropical fruits, are MORE acidic than tomatoes. Tomatoes are only borderline acidic which is why we have to add lemon juice or citric acid when canning them.

Did anyone decide if you can substitute say 3 cups of raspberries for the tomatoes?

There wouldn't be a safety issue with doing so but personally I'd limit it to maybe 1-2 cups instead. If you take out 1/2 the tomatoes is it still salsa? :blink:

I get alot more tomatoes than raspberries so I'd rather use the lesser amout like you said but would you have still the raspberry flavor and texture? I was thinking of making it to sell at Farmer's Markets if it's good. Of course the raspberry vinegar would help.

I was thinking of making it to sell at Farmer's Markets if it's good. Of course the raspberry vinegar would help.

You lucky dog! :AmishMichaelstraw: Your state lets you sell acidified products at the Farmers' Markets? Most states won't. Mine won't without a certified FDA inspected kitchen.

I would think the raspberry flavor would be there - more than a hint but less than full raspberry. Sort of a subtle little punch.

There is basically 12 cups of solids in the recipe so if you subbed 2 cups of raspberries in it is still a good portion of the recipe. I guess you'd have to experiment a bit to find the ideal taste combo. If you happened to have some dried raspberry powder around you could use it to punch the flavor up a bit too.

If you do sell it I'd sure price it higher than regular salsa. ;)

Archived