MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Learning about herbs

The best and quickest way to learn about herbs is to research the health problem in question.

Once you have a Drs. diagnoses, the next step is to check online or in your books for the herbal alternative to the prescribed Meds.

In this forum I will try to point you in the right direction, but you will need to do the research as I am not in possession of a medical license. It is a good idea to research any health problems that you know you might have to deal with in an emergency situation. once you have the info you want print it out and put it in a folder or note book for your use.

I have 2 books,

Nutritional Health, by James F. Balch, M.D. & Phillis A. Balch, CNC.

The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine , by Micheal Murry, ND and Joseph Pizzorno, ND

They both list the medical problem and both the prescribed meds and the herbal alternative.

I like to compare the suggestions against each other and look for agreement or dissent.

• 4 weeks later...

I will list many sites where you can see pictures of the herbs, but it is also essential that you read the description of the herb as it is a better way of identifying the plant. The picture will give you a general idea of what it looks like but learning that some stems are square some hollow etc. will either confirm or dismiss the proper identity of the plant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This site has an alphabetical list of Herbs also MEDICAMENTS and Ailments as they call them.

Please check it out. http://www.herbs2000.com/index.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maple Syrup

Maple syrup has many minerals per tablespoon: 20 milligrams of calcium, 2 milligrams of phosphorus, 0.2 milligrams of iron, 2 milligrams of sodium, 35 milligrams of potassium.

Maple syrup is classified as one of nature's most healthful foods.

• 4 months later...

my husband and me are trying to learn about herbs. we grow several in our garden. and use them in teas, and some for sore throats. my husband learned some from watching ron hood videos him and his wife are wonderful teachers. but before any one uses an herb make sure you know what it is and what it will do. several look a like and some are deadly so please be careful. and God bless. make sure to study and learn all you can before you try any out

• 5 years later...

For my posts on Essential Oils - Methods of Application, I am using The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Essential Oils by Julia Lawless, as a reference.

I agree with Lois:

but you will need to do the research as I am not in possession of a medical license. It is a good idea to research any health problems that you know you might have to deal with in an emergency situation...