MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dehydrating Summer Squash

Anybody ever done it? What were your results? and what do you use it in?

I have several books devoted to dehydrating and they all seem to be very skimpy on info relating to summer squash and its uses. I love summer squash fresh, but have never tried preserving it.

Help

TIA.

Yes, I've dehydrated yellow, zucchini, patty pan squash and cucumbers. I use any of them in stew or soup, just drop the dry veggie into the pot. I like the squash reconstituted and fried up with potatoes and onions. Melt a little cheddar over it. I sometimes chop some of the dried veggies up and add them to spaghetti sauce or chili.

• 3 weeks later...
I like the squash reconstituted and fried up with potatoes and onions. Melt a little cheddar over it. I sometimes chop some of the dried veggies up and add them to spaghetti sauce or chili.

My hubby likes the squash dipped in batter and fried. Would it work with dehydrated squash? Usually, I just slice and freeze but it would be nice to free up some freezer space(I don't have a lot)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

i bought a new 'chop-a-matic' (precursor to the 'slice-a-matic' they show on TV for giggles, but my real work horse is my "Feemster's Famous Slicer" this time of year....