MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

Nine pints of "The Other White Meat*" processing right now. :canning: It took10 pounds of meat to fill 9 jars......................same as the ground beef. Is that general rule? One pound of meat = 1 pint??? :cook:

*ie-pork! Does anyone else remember the pork industry's campaign against chicken??? :rolleyes:

"Pork. The Other White Meat." was an advertising slogan developed by advertising agency Bozell, Jacobs, Kenyon & Eckhardt in 1987 for the National Pork Board.

The program's television ad campaign began on March 2, 1987, with a series of advertisements that pitched pork as a white meat alternative to chicken or turkey, offering entrees such as cordon bleu,kabobs and pork à l'orange. The $7 million budget contrasted to the $30 million spent primarily on network television ads for the "Beef. It's What's for Dinner" campaign from the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, and the $112 million spent on ads for branded chickens.[1]
Edited by Midnightmom

I remember those ads! Yes, I figure 1 pound for pint especially if I'm doing a whole canner load and then I usually throw in another extra pound for good measure. Between the 7-8 pints that extra pound usually fills the jars up nicely. I hate to end up with 1 pint that isn't quite enough to can. When I can raw meat I really stuff the meat in the jars.

Killer migraines and neck pains and jaw aches have plagued me all week. I think a lot has to do with seasonal changes. Hurts. But, it will pass. It always does...for awhile.

Since it's starting to get cold here I'm getting in the nesting mood. Happens every year. I also get in the canning mood. I want to try a couple of new (to me) recipes this year. I can only eat so many veggies and soup during the winter. One thing I want to try is grilled meat. I'm thinking a few jars of steaks. Except I don't have a grill and it might be too late in the season to buy a small table size one and charcoal. Other than Wal-Mart or Lowes, I'm not sure where to look. Their garden centers are probably set up for Christmas by now.

Suppose I could use an electric grill for the 'marks' on the meat but I also want the smokey bar-be-que flavor. Anyone ever use the liquid smoke flavoring sauce stuff? Also, what about a marinade; would it make the meat (chicken) too tender to can? Canning it raw shouldn't make it too soft...I'm thinking.

One more thing, does anyone can beef tips in a nice sauce/juice. I'm thinking like the beef tips we used to get at places like the Ponderosa (do they still exist) that had onions and mushrooms in them and were served over noodles. I wouldn't can the noodles, just the beef, of course. Would be good over rice too I imagine. Maybe I'm thinking beef Au Jus?

I still have plenty of shredded beef canned but I'd like some chunks and already seasoned.

Jeepers.................................try yard sales for your BBQ grill.

Not sure about using liquid smoke for canning. But if spices intensify during canning, I'm not sure it's something I would use until I opened the jar to make dinner.

About the beef tips.....someone on another forum pointed out that expensive cuts of meat come out of the canner in the same "shape" as the less tender meat, so it may not be worth the hit to your pocketbook to can the tips.

Thanks Midnightmom, yard sales are very few and far between in my area...even in the summer.

I was thinking about the liquid smoke intensifying. I'm going to wait and see if I can find a grill this weekend. I only want a cheapy one to do just a few steaks and some chicken and then can them. Mostly for the sear marks and smoky flavor or smell. I will use inexpensive cuts of beer beef for the tips maybe even stew meat. They really do come out tender after pressure cooking/canning.

I'm not a big meat eater and living alone, I don't need to can that much. In fact, I'm trying to decide if I want to do pints or half pints. Most of the meat I eat is shredded in my soups. Nothing against meat and I'm not a vegetarian but I can't even stand to eat chicken off of a bone. Fat or gristle in my mouth and I come just short of gagging. Good thing I'm not into meat because I couldn't afford much of it now days.

Just thinking about the liquid smoke...I was thinking about only a drop or two. But then again I really got burned once using a chicken base in each jar of soup. You know...just add a little extra flavor! Pffft, it turned out so salty I couldn't hardly eat it. I had to rinse off the soup before I could eat it and I only added about 1/8 of a tsp. I ate through that stuff fast just to get rid of it.

Edited because the "R" and "F" are too close on my keyboard. I'm talking about canning beef not beer.

Edited by Jeepers

Nine pints of "The Other White Meat*" processing right now. :canning: It took10 pounds of meat to fill 9 jars......................same as the ground beef. Is that general rule? One pound of meat = 1 pint??? :cook:

*ie-pork! Does anyone else remember the pork industry's campaign against chicken??? :rolleyes:

"Pork. The Other White Meat." was an advertising slogan developed by advertising agency Bozell, Jacobs, Kenyon & Eckhardt in 1987 for the National Pork Board.

The program's television ad campaign began on March 2, 1987, with a series of advertisements that pitched pork as a white meat alternative to chicken or turkey, offering entrees such as cordon bleu,kabobs and pork à l'orange. The $7 million budget contrasted to the $30 million spent primarily on network television ads for the "Beef. It's What's for Dinner" campaign from the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, and the $112 million spent on ads for branded chickens.[1]

I've found that one pint will usually hold about one pound of meat. For hamburger and sausage I use half pints since it's only the two of us.

Killer migraines and neck pains and jaw aches have plagued me all week. I think a lot has to do with seasonal changes. Hurts. But, it will pass. It always does...for awhile.

Since it's starting to get cold here I'm getting in the nesting mood. Happens every year. I also get in the canning mood. I want to try a couple of new (to me) recipes this year. I can only eat so many veggies and soup during the winter. One thing I want to try is grilled meat. I'm thinking a few jars of steaks. Except I don't have a grill and it might be too late in the season to buy a small table size one and charcoal. Other than Wal-Mart or Lowes, I'm not sure where to look. Their garden centers are probably set up for Christmas by now.

Suppose I could use an electric grill for the 'marks' on the meat but I also want the smokey bar-be-que flavor. Anyone ever use the liquid smoke flavoring sauce stuff? Also, what about a marinade; would it make the meat (chicken) too tender to can? Canning it raw shouldn't make it too soft...I'm thinking.

One more thing, does anyone can beef tips in a nice sauce/juice. I'm thinking like the beef tips we used to get at places like the Ponderosa (do they still exist) that had onions and mushrooms in them and were served over noodles. I wouldn't can the noodles, just the beef, of course. Would be good over rice too I imagine. Maybe I'm thinking beef Au Jus?

I still have plenty of shredded beef canned but I'd like some chunks and already seasoned.

I've used several types of seasonings when canning my meat...teriyaki, liquid smoke (just a tiny bit!), bbq sauce, and several of the liquid type" stock packets. I've even used just course ground black pepper. If you want to sear your meats first, how about on a nice cast iron grill? It gives you lots of nice flavor. Just scrape the goodies off your grill, add a bit of hot water, and then add a small spoonful to your jar. Very tasty. I've bought beef chunks, sautaed them, and canned them, using some regular clear gel for a thickening agent...just be sure to add a bit of beef stock or veggie stock. I don't use bouillon much because it's so salty. Just the other night I pulled a jar of tenderloin and shredded it for sandwiches one day and then added the rest (chopped it up) to some gravy and put it over mashed potatoes along with some of our green beans. ONE THING THAT'S IMPORTANT...I never use anything to thing to thicken my sauces except regular clear gel or Arrowroot, and I use it sparingly. Corn starch or flour is an absolute no-no :-)

Since the green beans were so cheap, we went back today and bought a few more and I canned a few more pints. They'll be ready for me to remove the rings, wash the jars & label them in the morning. We're amazed at how much better even the frozen ones (when canned) taste over the commercially canned ones. Garden beans are sky-high in our whole area and have been for several years...about $4 for a small pint box.

I have a couple of marinade seasoning packets I like too. One is for lemon chicken. Nice for a change. I figured I'd marinade some breasts and then rinse them off, sear them and can them. I still haven't discounted the liquid smoke completely. I'm thinking only 1-2 drops per pint. My measuring spoons have a 1/16th. so that could be doable too. Or half a 1/16th. A 1/32nd?

Hopefully I can still locate a grill though. I went to K-Mart today with no luck. It was cold and started raining so I came on home. Tomorrow is another day. I have a cast iron griddle but it's a flat one with no ridges. :-(

I haven't bought my meat yet. I know a place in Amish country that has the grass fed, no antibiotic, no steroids, no GMO etc. meat. I might take the coolers down there and load them up. It's a little more expensive but for as little meat as I eat I could justify the price. I think.

I plan to can them with beef broth. Or chicken broth for the chicken. Or maybe just water for the seasoned chicken. I've been doing a lot of reading and Youtubing this week.

Plan A. Get a grill

Plan B. Get a griddle

Plan C. Get a George Forman

Plan D. Just sauté it

Plan E. Wait until next year.

Just peeled, cut and canned a bushes of pears my sharp eyed room mate spotted for gleaning. Bartlett pears, from a tree in front of the business, all over the ground from the recent blustery winds. We picked up a bushel (no bugs or broken skin pears, but bruises OK, they were cut away). We managed to can 21 pints after cutting away the smooshy bruised parts. Mmmmm I love pears, especially the free for the taking kind (and my tree is not bearing yet).

Scoooore! Kudos to my room mate, Mary!

Found a grill and some charcoal at Wal-Mart. Charcoal says it doesn't need lighter fluid. We'll see. I may need to make another trip back. Probably should have gone ahead and bought a can. It has a lid so I won't need the liquid smoke...after all of that angst over it.

Hopefully I can get some good beef and chicken this coming week and get it to canning again. :canning:

I have a couple of marinade seasoning packets I like too. One is for lemon chicken. Nice for a change. I figured I'd marinade some breasts and then rinse them off, sear them and can them. I still haven't discounted the liquid smoke completely. I'm thinking only 1-2 drops per pint. My measuring spoons have a 1/16th. so that could be doable too. Or half a 1/16th. A 1/32nd?

Hopefully I can still locate a grill though. I went to K-Mart today with no luck. It was cold and started raining so I came on home. Tomorrow is another day. I have a cast iron griddle but it's a flat one with no ridges. :-(

I haven't bought my meat yet. I know a place in Amish country that has the grass fed, no antibiotic, no steroids, no GMO etc. meat. I might take the coolers down there and load them up. It's a little more expensive but for as little meat as I eat I could justify the price. I think.

I plan to can them with beef broth. Or chicken broth for the chicken. Or maybe just water for the seasoned chicken. I've been doing a lot of reading and Youtubing this week.

Plan A. Get a grill

Plan B. Get a griddle

Plan C. Get a George Forman

Plan D. Just sauté it

Plan E. Wait until next year.

Jeeps...if you can your meat "raw pack" you don't add any water, the meat will baste itself. Just use your seasonings. If you're going to par-cook it (about half-way done) then you need to add water.

Just peeled, cut and canned a bushes of pears my sharp eyed room mate spotted for gleaning. Bartlett pears, from a tree in front of the business, all over the ground from the recent blustery winds. We picked up a bushel (no bugs or broken skin pears, but bruises OK, they were cut away). We managed to can 21 pints after cutting away the smooshy bruised parts. Mmmmm I love pears, especially the free for the taking kind (and my tree is not bearing yet).

Scoooore! Kudos to my room mate, Mary!

:thumbs:

Jeeps...if you can your meat "raw pack" you don't add any water, the meat will baste itself. Just use your seasonings. If you're going to par-cook it (about half-way done) then you need to add water.

Ack...I knew that. Was having a brain 'toot' :P

I'm going to sear it just enough to get the marks on it and a little smoky flavor. It will be more raw than cooked...at least in the center. Raw pack? Pack in juices? I can't find my Ball Blue Book...again. I don't even know if they talk about that. I need to go hunt it down to check though.

If meat is cooked a little, browned/braised, is it considered raw or cooked in the canning world?

Edited: Bolding mine. I need to add juice. Mystery (for me) is solved.

Presto canning manual said: "Hot Pack—Precook meat until rare by broiling, boiling, or frying. Pack hot meat loosely in clean, hot Mason jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. Cover meat with boiling broth, water, or tomato juice (especially with wild game) leaving 1-inch headspace. Adjust jar lids."

Edited by Jeepers

Adding any liquid is optional, raw or pre-cooked, since the meat/poultry does produce quite a bit of its own juice. A flavored liquid will generally add flavor. If pre-cooking just remember to avoid excess oil. You may have to experiment. Smoke flavor may change during the canning process.

Ack...I knew that. Was having a brain 'toot' :P

I'm going to sear it just enough to get the marks on it and a little smoky flavor. It will be more raw than cooked...at least in the center. Raw pack? Pack in juices? I can't find my Ball Blue Book...again. I don't even know if they talk about that. I need to go hunt it down to check though.

If meat is cooked a little, browned/braised, is it considered raw or cooked in the canning world?

Edited: Bolding mine. I need to add juice. Mystery (for me) is solved.

Presto canning manual said: "Hot Pack—Precook meat until rare by broiling, boiling, or frying. Pack hot meat loosely in clean, hot Mason jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. Cover meat with boiling broth, water, or tomato juice (especially with wild game) leaving 1-inch headspace. Adjust jar lids."

Pre-cooked is the same a par-cooked. Add your juice & liquid. I do not add fluuds when raw-packing because the meat itself (unless it's a really lean piece) will create lots of juice & fat. I use both the Ball Blue Book and my favorite...Putting Food By. You can always check the USDA canning guide for your area :-)

Had a friend come to town a couple of days ago and she got some apples on sale, two bags for the price of one, so she gave me one since they doesn't do much canning etc. So...this morning a made two pints of spiced apples and had enough of my red-hot syrup to can a quart of it. I'm gonna experiment with a jelly made of it :-)

Thank you Canned Nerd. I was hoping you would check in and see this and respond. :bouquet:

Thanks Kyle's Mom! I have plenty of cooking oil so I'll definitely try that first. Other than another trip to the store...less chemicals that might pop up into the food via the smoke. Maybe.

I plan to go to Amish country meat shopping Thursday.That's the day most of the sales are happening down there, assuming the auction and flea markets are still running. Not meat auctions (except at the sale barn) it's just the day tourists come around so sales happen then.

I've been canning properly since the 1970's and I find I still have to ask questions from time to time. Especially when I haven't done a particular item in a long long time or something new. Food is too expensive to waste so I'm not relying on myself to experiment so...

:sSig_thankyou: everyone!

Finished the green bean canning. It was the remainder of beans harvested before the killing frost. It's always a sad day to see all of the bean and eggplant plants drooping to the ground. I did eat my share of beans as I was canning them, though. :grinning-smiley-044:

Today will be a BIG pan of eggplant Parmesan for dinner. Autumn is always a sad time for me and my garden. I hate saying goodbye to it. :hi:

Thank you Canned Nerd. I was hoping you would check in and see this and respond. :bouquet:

Thanks Kyle's Mom! I have plenty of cooking oil so I'll definitely try that first. Other than another trip to the store...less chemicals that might pop up into the food via the smoke. Maybe.

I plan to go to Amish country meat shopping Thursday.That's the day most of the sales are happening down there, assuming the auction and flea markets are still running. Not meat auctions (except at the sale barn) it's just the day tourists come around so sales happen then.

I've been canning properly since the 1970's and I find I still have to ask questions from time to time. Especially when I haven't done a particular item in a long long time or something new. Food is too expensive to waste so I'm not relying on myself to experiment so...

:sSig_thankyou: everyone!

Jeeps...if you don't have a copy of "Putting Food By" ... you might want to put it on your bucket list :-)

Put up some more pork-n-beans, some black beans and some more pinto beans. Seems when people know you "can can" ... they pawn off their stuff to you! Oh well...they were free. Just a couple of bags of pinto's and a small bag of black beans. In our household pork-n-beans, chili beans and black beans don't last long. I love using black beans in my corn salsa.