MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Artificial Sweetener Disease

"Artificial sweetener disease"

The US Food and Drug Administration has received reports of 92 medical health problems resulting from aspartame, ranging from abdominal pain to migraines, dizziness and hives. Aspartame poisoning is often misdiagnosed because its symptoms mock other syndromes. It changes the ratio of amino acids in the blood, lowering or blocking levels of hormones like dopamine and tyrosine that are necessary for bodily function.

Since aspartame cannot be detected through lab tests and x-rays, these diseases and disorders may actually be a toxic load. Below are some specific health conditions that are associated with aspartame you might want to recall next time you open a can of diet soda:

fever.gif1. Cancer - The Ramazzine Foundation, a European Cancer Research Center, conducted a study on aspartame which revealed that aspartame increases the risk of cancers (lymphoma, leukemia and breast cancers). Despite the National Cancer Institute's stand that no such connection was ever firmly established between aspartame and cancer, it might well be worth thinking that what is harmful to rats is also harmful to humans. Moreover, the dismissive stand of regulatory bodies concerning aspartame is merely based on the absence of data that can conclusively support such a connection and NOT on a finding that establishes that aspartame does not cause cancer.

fever.gif2. Mental disorders and degeneration of brain cells - Excessive ingestion of artificial sweeteners, according to researchers from the University of Praetoria and the University of Limpopo, may lead to various mental disorders and the degeneration of the brain. Publishing in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, researchers noted that aspartame appeared to cause excessive signals, damage and even death to nerve cells. Since aspartame disrupts the functioning of the cell's energy source, it will lead to a cascade of effects on the whole system.

fever.gif3. Headaches - As early as 1994, a study conducted published on PubMed.gov showed that ingestion of aspartame was associated with headaches. Subjects in the study revealed that they experienced headaches 33 percent of the time when taking aspartame compared to 24 percent when on placebo treatment. Moreover, Dr. Robert Milne and Blake More in their book "Headaches" report that headaches are the most reported side effect given by those who take products containing aspartame. They add that in a University of Parkinson's at Florida study, it was found out that the incidences of migraines doubled for a majority of test subjects who took aspartame. Their headaches lasted longer and were marked by significant signs of shakiness and diminished vision.

fever.gif4. Weight gain and increased blood sugar - Aspartame is not a healthy alternative for diabetics or those wanting to lose weight. Contrary to popular belief, a recent study has shown that regular consumption of diet soft drinks is strongly connected with abdominal obesity and that aspartame can increase blood sugar. Researchers from the University of Texas Health Center San Antonio reported in a study that, as a group, 70 percent of those who drank diet soft drinks gained weight as opposed to those who did not. Moreover, those who drank 2 or more diet sodas regularly experienced an increase in their waist circumference by 500 percent more than those who did not drink them.

fever.gifIn another related study that analyzed a possible relationship between intake of aspartame and fasting glucose and insulin levels among 40 diabetes-prone mice, one of the researchers in the study, Dr. Gabriel Fernandes, revealed that heavy aspartame exposure might potentially contribute to the associations noticed between soda consumption and the risk of diabetes in humans.

The above health conditions are just some of the 92 reported medical health problems reportedly associated with aspartame. Despite the stand of aspartame manufacturers that their product has been declared safe for human consumption, it is still strange that there are still reports from sectors who do not stand to benefit from such declarations that aspartame is not safe. Prudence would dictate that avoiding a product may be better in the long run than to discover firsthand that all that was said about it was true. Why? Because you happen to be living proof of it.

How to protect yourself

ph34r.gifTo keep yourself safe from contracting "artificial sweetener syndrome," it is suggested that you stop taking all products containing this chemical.

ph34r.gifIf you have brought or stocked up on products containing aspartame, you can arrange to return the products so you can get a refund of your money. If you feel that you may need professional help in getting over the disease, please see your doctor as soon as possible. Take a proactive approach to being healthy.

ph34r.gifFinally, for those taking aspartame simply because they want to observe a healthy diet, replace your aspartame habit with real sugar. Although it may have more calories, it offers a far better solution than being poisoned. Those who want to manage their weight problems are advised to seek a healthier course of action like eating more whole foods, vegetables and fruits and getting regular exercise. True and sustainable weight loss cannot be achieved through a quick fix without a change in lifestyle. Set a personal example to be healthy and watch yourself regain your life

Learn more: http://www.naturalne...l#ixzz26KLVvtN0

Edited by Midnightmom
  • 2 weeks later...

I've always favored saccharin

While some think it has a bitter aftertaste, I only use it in iced tea, which already has a slight bitterness to it - which is what I like about tea.

And it has no demonstrated negative side effects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccharin

I have lupus. getting away from sheer sunshine in desert AND quitting all aspartame has helped me go into remission.......

I just have tons of other crud that is aggravated by such chemicals. but can tolerate sweet and low fine and use truvia if I can get it. Also trying to get used to not sweetening my coffee unless its with milk or some cocoa /ovaltine.

If I have a soda, maybe 3 to 4 a month, its regular, no diet stuff unless they use truvia. So far most have not switched.

usually teas with sweet and low or truvia. After my morning coffee.

I've always favored saccharin

While some think it has a bitter aftertaste, I only use it in iced tea, which already has a slight bitterness to it - which is what I like about tea.

And it has no demonstrated negative side effects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccharin

Same here. I loved diet drinks with saccharin - Thanks Granny! I used to buy TAB when I could find it, but they caved and went to the dark side and now use saccharin and NutraSweet if I read the label right the last time I found some. :/ My sweetener of choice now is stevia.

I stay as far from NutraSweet as I can. DH's BIL died from brain cancer 16 yr ago. It was attributed to the 2 2L of Diet Mt Dew he was drinking everyday. I also learned when they sent out those bubble gum samples when they first came out with nutrasweet that it gave me headaches. Never have understood why that poison is still on the market. :/

Never have understood why that poison is still on the market.

===============================================

How it GOT approved is the more interesting story.

March 8, 1977
-G. D. Searle hires prominent Washington insider Donald Rumsfeld as the new CEO to try to turn the beleaguered company around. A former Member of Congress and Secretary of Defense in the Ford Administration, Rumsfeld brings in several of his Washington cronies as top management.

June 1, 1979
-The FDA established a Public Board of Inquiry (PBOI) to rule on safety issues surrounding NutraSweet.

September 30, 1980
-The Public Board of Inquiry concludes NutraSweet should not be approved pending further investigations of brain tumors in animals. The board states it "has not been presented with proof of reasonable certainty that aspartame is safe for use as a food additive."

January 1981
-Donald Rumsfeld, CEO of Searle, states in a sales meeting that he is going to make a big push to get aspartame approved within the year. Rumsfeld says he will use his political pull in Washington, rather than scientific means, to make sure it gets approved.

January 21, 1981
-Ronald Reagan is sworn in as President of the United States. Reagan's transition team, which includes Donald Rumsfeld, CEO of G. D. Searle, hand picks Dr. Arthur Hull Hayes Jr. to be the new FDA Commissioner.

July 15, 1981
-In one of his first official acts, Dr. Arthur Hayes Jr., the new FDA commissioner, overrules the Public Board of Inquiry, ignores the recommendations of his own internal FDA team and approves NutraSweet for dry products. Hayes says that aspartame has been shown to be safe for its' proposed uses and says few compounds have withstood such detailed testing and repeated close scrutiny.

August 8, 1983
-Consumer Attorney, Jim Turner of the Community Nutrition Institute and Dr. Woodrow Monte, Arizona State University's Director of Food Science and Nutritional Laboratories, file suit with the FDA objecting to aspartame approval based on unresolved safety issues.

September, 1983
-FDA Commissioner Hayes resigns under a cloud of controversy about his taking unauthorized rides aboard a General Foods jet. (General foods is a major customer of NutraSweet) Burson-Marsteller, Searle's public relation firm (which also represented several of NutraSweet's major users), immediately hires Hayes as senior scientific consultant

The NutraSweet Company's aspartame patent ended in 1992. Now many companies including "health food" companies, quietly sweeten their products with aspartame. The $8 billion multinational company Monsanto Inc. (maker of bovine growth hormone, genetically engineered soybeans, Roundup and many other industrial and agricultural chemicals) owns the NutraSweet Company now called, after a 1996 merger, the NutraSweet, Kelco Company. NutraMancer City provides access to the political, economic, cultural and scientific maze surrounding the manufacture, regulation, and sale of aspartame.

Edited by Midnightmom

If you are still undecided about whether this is a poison, take a can of diet soda and pour it out on the green grass early in the day. at the end of the day, go back and see where you poured it. The grass will now be yellow and dying. Great for pouring over ant nests to kill the nest!