MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Oatmeal "meat" video

I tried the recipe just as it was on the video. It was good except there was a taste of some of the spice that I didn't like. So I decided to go to the meat department and ask what spices they used in their store sausage. The butcher sold me a pack of the spice they use. It is called Leggs Old Plantation. The pack was only $2 for enough to mix 25 pounds of meat. I used 1 Tablespoon seasoning,1 cup of oatmeal and 2 eggs. So simple. When it was cooked I really couldn't tell it wasn't real sausage, except it wasn't greasy!!! This is honestly one of the best tips I have ever found! You guys are the greatest! :thumbs:

I gave this a try for dinner tonight -- I used too much salt, but other than that, it looked like real sausage. Dh said very salty, but otherwise, he didn't seem to doubt it was 'real'.

Going to try Trudy's suggestion and check in to the spice mix - that would make it even easier (and would curb my being heavy handed with the salt ;) )

Oh, 'bangers' !!!

WWII bread sausages. They used whatever grain mush they could get, a sliver of fat or grease for some flavor, and packed it into a linen sausage skin to cook.

The late goodwife Lee showed me these. She learned of them when her husband introduced her, when he was posted to England, and she had just arrived.. He had a strange sense of humor. According to her story, after she 'blahed' the banger, she was treated to a large shepards pie by the establishment. She said it was worth it. She loved the 'Strongbow', a hard English apple cider, CO2 carbinated, as she did not care for flat heavy beers.

There was a bottle of oatmeal 'stout' on a 'shelf of honor' in her kitchen. I inherited some of the English steins she had.

If it were me, I would also research the spices used for haggis. Haggis, if you did not know, is oatmeal and spices, cooked in a sheep stomach.

BTW: There is an actual measurement for a 'dash'. A 'pinch' too. The lady in the video apparently did not know that.

AND you can do oatmeal like corn, like 'corn dodgers', aka 'hush puppies'.

Sarah

of the Librum

Edited by Sarah

AH here is the recipe from the video

1 cup oatmeal

2 eggs

1 1/2 teaspoons sage powder

1 teaspoon fennel

1 teaspoon ground rosemary

1/2 teaspoon parsley

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon celery salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

dash of red pepper flakes

Mix and make in to thin patties. Fry on both sides in a little bit of oil then add 3 cups beef broth bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain and brown on both sides and serve.

Sarah it is nice to hear some of the more historical contexts, this patty technique at least requires no casing and probably more frugal and quick to mix and cook up . I did not realize that is what Haggi's are exactly, thanks for the explanation. LOL, I loved the cornish pie and brownsauce I had in a pub in England one evening. The beer glass was taller than I was set on the table and me in the chair sitting. But it was a Guinness made in England I guess?

That took a while to consume. I have enjoyed a stout or two in the past. good beer, that is! considering the quality of their water from the tap, it was safer to drink the beer and I was walking in town. The name of the pub was Arby's. It had been there probably two hundred years at least. That is sort of where i got the nickname I guess., not from fast food in America. LOL. They park half on the sidewalks there, the old streets can be so narrow. It was easier to just walk around mostly.

I am glad you have those things to remember your friend by. Enjoy!

Thanks, Mommato3boys.

Arby, I would not know, I just remember her stories from when I lived with them. They took me in after losing my first husband. And I met #2 in her kitchen. Her 'pub', as I recall, was the 'Green Man' in High Wycombe. (I know how to spell that one, as I have a stein from there!)

I know Guiness is England English. I've never had any. The local stout, frankly, you can have.

I am not worried about meat around here. In that way I am fortunate.

Sarah

of the Librum

AH here is the recipe from the video

1 cup oatmeal

2 eggs

1 1/2 teaspoons sage powder

1 teaspoon fennel

1 teaspoon ground rosemary

1/2 teaspoon parsley

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon celery salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

dash of red pepper flakes

Mix and make in to thin patties. Fry on both sides in a little bit of oil then add 3 cups beef broth bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain and brown on both sides and serve.

THANK YOU !

Now that I have the original I can go from there.

YES I too will use less salt as we don't cook with it.

Do any of you extraordinary cooks know what a good substitute for eggs is that is 'vegan' friendly? Evidently this is a recipe my fancy caterer friend would like to adjust and try out. would arrowroot powder bind well enough the oatmeal to hold it in sausage patty shape perhaps? We were wondering , if thats ok for vegans to eat that is.

Arby, it took me a while but i found my vegan cookbook from when ds#2 lived at home. (he is vegan) This is what the cook book suggest for egg replacement in cooking...

1 tbsp gram (chick pea) or soya flour and 1 tbsp water or
1 tbsp arrowroot, 1 tbsp soya flour and 2 tbsp water or
2 tbsp flour, 1/2 tbsp shortening, 1/2 tsp baking powder and 2 tsp water or
50g tofu blended with the liquid portion of the recipe or
1/2 large banana, mashed

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I had to look up this thread again, so I could make the oat-meat for lasagna. I have ALWAYS put oats into my meatballs (keeps them moist, you know) then browned them, afterwards simmering in broth on top of the stove. They turn out nice and moist, and very tasty, just like my mother taught me (she told me that she NEVER had hamburgers without oatmeal all the time she grew up during the 30s & 40s. I actually like the taste better with the oats than without....