MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

*Food Safety Question* regarding fresh turkey

We splurged on a fresh, organic turkey from one of the poultry farms in the area ... we bought it on the 23rd of December, and I didn't feel up to cooking it, so it has been in the bottom, back of the refrigerator since then.

I was going to make it today, but then read on the poultry farm's suggestion that since it's fresh, you cook it within 3 days of picking it up.

It's been about 7 days since we picked it up -- is it still safe to bake and eat?

(I am hoping yes, because it was a smidge over $45 for the 15 pound turkey .... but then again I don't want to get my family sick over $45 ....)

Hmmm.....this could be a topic for a whole other thread. And, this is just my personal opinion. I raw fed my my Abby for quite a few years....including when she was preggo with a litter of 11 pups....all of which were very healthy and delivered easily. One of Abby's favorite things to do was to take some of her meal and bury it somewhere in the yard to go back to later, sometimes days later. I could always tell when she buried stuff because she'd have a dirt covered nose. :)

Dogs and cats have a different digestive system than we do. The bacteria that would knock us down won't do the same for them. I would've tossed the whole thing in the backyard and let her have at it. And probably not cooked it because it would've meant I had to pick all the meat first (no cooked bones).

JMPO.