MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

safe supplements during pregnancy

I tend to be of the mindset that you really should contact your doctor about supplements. Not because I think that they are the only ones that know about them, but because during pregnancy, they monitor your blood. As an example, if you already have adequate amounts of certain vitamins & minerals, too much from other sources could cause problems.

If a pregnancy were off the table completely, it wouldn't matter as much.

Thanks for the link, Blessedhomemaker.

TMC, I know, but I've had such horrible reactions from mainstream doctors in the past when trying to discuss supplements, even the more "normal"/ known ones such as B vitamins. So I'm concerned especially about ones that most doctors probably never heard of. Like the marshmellow root I use for sinus problems or slippery elm for diarrhea. There aren't medications I can use for those problems, so I rely on the supplements.

One thing you should take pre-conception (IN MY OPINION!) is folic acid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folic_acid

The last I've heard, they now recommend all women who are in child-bearing years, whether they are planning to become pregnant or not, should be taking it. Either as a seperate supplement or in a mulitvitamin.

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary
One thing you should take pre-conception (IN MY OPINION!) is folic acid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folic_acid

The last I've heard, they now recommend all women who are in child-bearing years, whether they are planning to become pregnant or not, should be taking it. Either as a seperate supplement or in a mulitvitamin.

I've also heard it helps prevent Spina Bifida.