MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

canner weight jiggles

preparing

The All-American instructions says that the weight will jiggle or rock when the pressure is reached. That there is no exact correlation between the gauge and the weight. That the weight should jiggle 1 to 4 times a minute. It says the weight should not be in a constant up position, but to jiggle and sputters 1 to 4 times a minutes. Does that sentence mean sputters 1 to 4 times a minute and jiggles constantly or jiggles and sputters both 1 to 4 times per minute? My DH says ours jiggled constantly, but I think it has to jiggle constantly shrug

I have a 1974 Mirro 21qt that only has the jiggler. When it reaches pressure and starts jiggling, it jiggles, then stops for a few seconds, jiggles then stops again, etc. It cycles like this 3-4 times a minute for the alloted time. My old Mirro book says this is how it should work. A constant jiggle means the pressure is a bit too high.

Hope this helps.

If you have questions about how hard it should jiggle, call their 1-800 number. The customer service people are awesome (at least the Mirro ones are!) and will help you out so you know for sure. When I first got my pressure canner, I didn't know how jiggly it should be. I called the CS line and the lady had me hold the phone up to the canner and let me know it was jiggling too hard. She made me stay on the phone until it reached the correct pressure, and let me know that THAT was how it was suppose to sound. I felt much better having someone actually listen to it!! Give them a call if you're still wondering!

Good luck!

Shawna

That sounds like a good idea! I know now it was jiggling too fast. We kept looking at the dial gauge and keeping it at 15 pounds pressure and should have adjusted the heat to keep it at the right pressure. I guess as long as it is jiggling it is at 15 since it has the 15 pound weight? Then if it is jiggling 1 to 4 per minute then it is where it should be, but if it is more than 4 turn the heat down a bit and as long as it is jiggling more than 1 per minute it is fine, which if it only jiggled 1 time per minute I would be a nervous wreck. We have an electric stove and my friend says it will be harder to adjust than gas. She just bought the All-American, so it will be interesting how it goes with her.

I've always read 3 or 4 times a min. is the correct jiggle but for the life of me I can't get it to do that w/o working and working. I found out after trying and trying to adjust the temp. that is when your jars leak and make messes. Now, I have the burner on high and when it starts jiggling I turn the burner to about 1/2 and leave it alone. It does jiggle more than 3 or 4 times a min. but I don't have the leakages I had before.

Well that makes sense. I think I would be nervous with even 4 jiggles in a minute. I loved that jiggling sound and felt really safe with it. I was worried about the gauge and saying it has to be checked yearly and then reading we were not to even look at that, but go by the weight and that the weight does not have to be replaced, I felt better because we only need 12 according to the Ball Book and the weight is 15 and we went the whole 90 minutes. We watched the gauge to make sure it did not go over 15, but if the gauge is not to be looked at and it was jiggling over 4 times a minute, then it might have been over 15.

Ok, the sputtering doesn't mean anything to me.

The occassional rocking of the weighted gauge (several times with a 1 minute period) is how I judge my proper pressure. You do not want it rocking constantly. There is not 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 times per minute for me, occassional is enough.

I don't understand the Blue Book talking about 12psi...for me it's either been 10/15/20 depending on elevation. If the BB says 12, then 15 is in order.

Don't worry about the dial gauge as much as you do the weighted gauge. The weighted gauge is more accurate than the dial.

Relax preparing you're doing great!!! I used to worry too but after a couple of times it just becomes a natural chain of events and you'll be a pro! Well, maybe not a pro but you get the idea! darlene2

Archived