MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Storing Dehydrated Hash-Browns

Has anyone else bought these dehydrated hash-browns from Sam's? I have picked up a box the last 2 times I shopped there. I have used them for a casserole and just plain hash-browns, and my family loves them! $5.95 for this 33 oz. box (fills a gallon jar with a little left over). Is this a good price? I got a new Emergency Essentials catalog today and theirs was $9.95 for a 31 oz. can. I haven't checked anywhere else. Would they store well in the box or should I use mylar and bucket? post-7458-009588600 1349142592_thumb.jpg

I LOVE these!!! They are awesome!! I was upset the other day when I was at SAMs and they didn't have any. Good to know they still carry them. I store mine in a five gallon bucket. You can fit two boxes in one. I don't know if that is the best way, but it works for me

Thanks for the input Deerslayer. I googled 'buy dehydrated hash-browns' to try to compare prices before I stocked up on them, and apparently a lot of people like them. A few were complaining that their stores no longer carried them. I hope your store was just out of them. They seem to be a good price, so I will definitely go back and stock up soon. I think the bucket will work fine for storage.

Good to know WormGuy! I kinda have a fear of stored food ruining and my money being wasted. It keeps me from prepping like I really want to. I need to work on overcoming that feeling. I feel comfortable canning all that I can in jars, because I have been doing that all my life. But buying food to put up in buckets makes me nervous. Isn't that silly?