MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Comments for-$25 WEEKLY PREP LIST FOR FLU AND FIRST AID HOME TREATMENTS

My mom and several other relatives have been on coumadin and their doctors have just had them stop taking it whenever they needed to have surgery. It never seemed to affect them and they always had to go off it several days before surgery to be sure they wouldn't bleed to death DURING surgery. I wonder if it's different for each individual depending on how much they have to take.

I would suggest that each have a talk with their doctor about the possibilities of what would happen to them if they DID have to stop taking it suddenly. Find out how long it would be in their system and what symptoms they might expect to have.

My suggestions were only for EMERGENCIES, such as when TSHTF, where their meds ran out and they could not get more. That might be a do or die situation. Then it might be wise to have something on hand instead of trying to find something. Or at the least to know there might be a more common thing, like garlic or ginger, that could be used.

Nana, you are so caring,,,thanks for bringing this up again so we can define it.

In reference to Nana's silver impregnated bandaids and bandages. Check out the advantages to the silverlon products. I have been watching the development of this product for 5 or 6 years now. It is truly amazing stuff.

Read about it here: http://www.silverlon.com/

I have used the Colodial silver in a spray for burns for a long time, it helps prevent infection which is the cause of most of the scaring from burns.

Lois

Also a note on colloidal silver. I'm not sure where it is on the list of stuff, because I just c/p'd it to read and plan with later tonight, but if you're starting this late, say August or September, and it's further down on the list, you may want to bump it up to an earlier week. CS WILL freeze, some places won't ship in winter months, some places will but will not be liable if it does freeze. I had one freeze on me during shipping and they would NOT replace it. So if you have to order it rather than buying locally, get it before cold weather sets in. I second or third or whatever that this is AMAZING stuff, so if it's winter and you're doing this, it's worth a drive if you have to go get it.

Mommy of Six

Guest Guest
Quote:
The following substances may be best to avoid during a H5N1 pandemic:
~~~~~~~~~~
Elderberry juice (Sambucal) - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6. This substance is very effective against the common flu but may not be desirable for the H5N1 Bird Flu virus. Increases in these cytokines may trigger a lethal cytokine storm. (Isr Med Journal2002 Nov;4:944-6)
~~~~~~~~~~~
Micro Algae (Chlorella and Spirulina) - Increases production of cytokine TNF-a (Pubmed PMID 11731916)
~~~~~~~~~~~
Honey - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6 (Pubmed PMID12824009)
~~~~~~~~~~~
Chocolate - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6 (Pubmed PMID 12885154, PMID 10917928)
~~~~~~~~~~~
Echinacea - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6. Although it is often used for normal flu, research shows that it may increase the chance of cytokine storms for H5N1 (Pubmed PMID 15556647, 9568541)
~~~~~~~~~~~
Kimchi - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6 (Pubmed PMID15630182)
~~~~~~~~~~
Dairy products & Bananas - These foods increase mucous production.

I had not read that information about the elderberry or the Sambucol. I may have to rethink a few things now.. I have several pounds of dried elderberries in my stores.
  • 1 month later...
Quote:
Nana,
I bought an "N95" mask (with respirator) for each member of my family in case of an epidemic. When you mentioned throwing away the mask in the yellow zone, I was concerned because these masks were a bit pricy. Aren't they reuseable? Maybe reuseable just going out in public? Should I have spares for actually taking care of an infected person?

Thanks,
Anyala

Unfortunately, disposable masks are generally considered one-use items, and the N-95 masks are disposable. Their efficacy rarely exceeds 8 hours under the best circumstances, and aren't really meant to be used in caring for a contagious patient.

The mask you want to use for in-home patient care is a basic surgical mask; the kind that is pleated, and has elastic to fit over your ears.

The ones I have are a 50 ct. box at a cost of $4.95/box -or something very close- and are the exact type of masks that will be used by hospital workers during a pandemic or any other quarantine that doesn't involve ebola or some other 'super germ'. To use a new N-95 mask for each patient, or even each shift, for hospital workers, would be cost prohibitive.

The N-95 masks would be used if you need to go out in public and should be discarded after 5 to 8 hours, depending on the amount of moisture they absorb. The more moisture they absorb, the more it shortens their efficacy.

If the masks you have use disposable filters- ie. nanomasks, then the filters should be changed and discarded after 5 to 8 hours, and the mask itself disinfected.

If you've bought masks for all of your family, please be sure to fit each person's mask before you need them. There should be no gaps or spaces on the sides to allow contamination.

Generally speaking, these masks are not made for young children and extreme caution should be taken when trying to get a child to keep a mask on. For children, the best thing is total isolation from the general public or a quarantined person within the household.

You also want to be sure to get some practice wear, as masks can be a bit restrictive and can cause a panic reaction in some people.

The best way to mitigate the possibilites of contracting or spreading a virus is to limit exposure to potential carriers and the general public as much as possible. That includes washing your hands or using an antibacterial spray or gel whenever you think about it.

If you suddenly think your hands are 'dirty' or that you may have been exposed to germs, you're probably right.

One other thing... keep your hands out of your face. It's just about impossible to touch anything that hasn't been exposed to another person's germs. Think about it...

Thanks for clearing all this up for me Nana,

I will keep the N95 masks for just going out in public, without the children. They will stay home. I didn't even consider that there may be gaps in their masks due to size differences. Thanks for pointing that out to me. I'll buy a box of those surgical masks. What are they named / called so I can be sure I'm purchasing the right ones?

Anyala

ok I have absolutely no idea what oscillococcinum is and where to get it. Im not that far on purchasing. Just reading through the list of items. I feel kinda dumb but was always told the only dumb question was the one never asked. Boy ....the first person who ever said that has never met me...lol

• 3 weeks later...

what about particulate respiratiors? ihave one that is rated to be safe for use against isocyanates. it is made by 3M and i have been certified fit tested and trained on how to wear it.

also, the N95 masks that you were talking about, you mentioned that they dont last as long when they are wet? how about usung them in a humid climate? how would that affect thier effectivness?

"Think of isocyanate molecules in the air from the spraying process as Pac-man gobbling up molecules of moisture in the air and on your body. Isocyanate molecules are equally attracted to the moisture in your eyeballs as they are to moisture around your mouth, nose, and ears. Thus the full mask, gloved hands and suit or long sleeve clothing is proper spray attire."

If you have a full face mask with a 3M respirator, I'd say you're probably good to go... but! If your mask is capable of being fitted with a pre-filter, then I would suggest getting some of those, too.

The problem lies in the fact that the moisture reduces the effectiveness of the mask. Moisture causes a breakdown in the barriers of the mask and allows the virus to infiltrate. Remember; this virus thrives in a moist environment, deep in the lower lung tissues, and is excreted through heavy wracking coughs. If this is where it lives, it will continue to live on other moist surfaces. So... when your mask or filters in your mask get wet-moist, you're giving the virus a place to set up housekeeping.

In a 'dry' atmosphere, the N95 mask is effective for 6 to 8 hours. Depending on the amount of moisture in the air, you can cut that effectiveness by as much as half.

If I am in a position where I have to go out in public, I will probably wear a full face shield, with an N95 mask underneath. Also, I would never re-use a mask worn in public, or take it inside my home.

I hope this helps...

Not trying to step on toes here. Just wanting to give you information that I was told for the safety of all.

Has anyone actually tried wearing the N95 masks for 8 hours?

If it doesnt have an exhaust value it wont work. The masks become saturated from the moisture when you exhale there by reducing the efficiency of the mask as well as making it almost impossible to breathe. All the sources we have talked to state that the effective rating of particle size of an N95 mask is not sufficient for H5N1. We chose the n100 for the added surface area as well as the exhaust valve. But we keep the n95 for short term use.

Well, according to NIOSH, OSHA, and the WHO, the N95 is efficient for avian flu. I won't debate that though, as information will always vary according to the source. I'm curious though... was your source also the supplier of your masks?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about "the added surface area". A mask should fit your face; bigger is not better, in this case.

N95 masks also come with exhalation valves, as do R95, & P95, N100, R100, & P100. But since the N95 is 95% or better -actually 99.9%- effective in filtering out particles down to .03 microns, to me at least, it's not worth the added expense for a .1% increase in efficacy. If that .1% is all that's stopping you from contracting the virus, you're already in big trouble.

I think it may have disappeared in the move to the new server but, I did have a quite lengthy post about wearing masks, and how to practice for future use. And yes, I have worn an N95 mask for 8 hours, albeit with a few breaks. They are what is worn in a surgical suite.

The most important thing about a mask is it's ability to stop fluids from entering your mucous membranes. No one should expect to be able to wear these masks for an entire 8 hours at a time, and depending on one mask to protect you for an entire day is an invitation for disaster. Whenever you leave an area, you create a potential for cross-contamination, and then risk taking it back when you re-enter.

Respirators and face masks are really not meant to be worn by anyone not properly trained, and wearing one improperly is just as bad as not wearing one at all.

If you'll look farther down this forum, I've posted more information about masks. I'll re-post the info about how to wear masks at some point in the future.

By the way, The United States Air Force taught me how to wear mine.

• 1 year later...

I just found the Nana's List...and am blown away by its thoroughness. I was a health writer for many years, specializing in contamination control issues. Everything posted is absolutely correct and so very clear. Thanks a million!!!

Nana's pretty incredible. Wait until you read some of her stocking up lists on Are you really ready. She has a definite talent for getting it all together. smile

(((( ))))

• 1 month later...

Hi Nana,

Thanks so much for the list, it's been excellent in helping me get our flu kit together. I ran across this stuff called "Flu Reduce" (http://www.healthyrelief.com/?products-fluReduce) at the grocery store. I was wondering if it was any good? It's first ingredient is oscillococcinum but it has other homeopathic stuff in it that I wasn't sure about.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

DO you have a dollar tree store in your area? If so hit them up,, they have masks,,paper form,,, which would hopefully be better than nothing,,, 12 for $1.00, they also have latex gloves 10pair For $1.00,, acetominophen and ibuprofen 24 count for $1.00. they also have cough syrups,$1.00 per bottle, antibacterial wipes, just about anything you need......

DO you have a dollar tree store in your area? If so hit them up,, they have masks,,paper form,,, which would hopefully be better than nothing,,, 12 for $1.00, they also have latex gloves 10pair For $1.00,, acetominophen and ibuprofen 24 count for $1.00. they also have cough syrups,$1.00 per bottle, antibacterial wipes, just about anything you need......

I have absolutely no idea why this posted twice!!!!!! sorry.....

Edited by Unike1
  • 3 years later...

I am feeling sick and miserable right now. Have a stomach bug and this is day 4 of being sick. I don't think it is actually the flu because I am not running a temp, but it got me to thinking about my flu preps. I am down on most of this type of supply after using them when everyone was sick a few motnths ago. Money has been tight and I have put off replacing everything. So I was reviewing the post on the $25 dollar preps to get started.

I came accross one thing though, that made me think. I can not use Latex. Alot of people can't, so your preps should include non-latex gloves as well, even if you or no one in your family is currently allergic. The allergy can come up suddenly and although for a lot of people it is mostly localized skin irritation, for some it is much more serious. My daughter's kids can't even have toys made with latex because she starts having trouble breathing if she accidently touches any of them. We play it safe by keeping them out of her house. She actually came close to dying once because someone through latex gloves in the non-latex BP cuff at the hospital. They took them out, but the cuff had picked up something from the Latex and she had a serious reaction. So this is nothing for us to play around with. Allergies are serious and if you do not have quick access to medical care, they can be deadly.

I keep vynel gloves at home, but I am looking into getting some Nitrile gloves. They protect better than vynel, just like the latex do, but are not latex. I use them at work sometimes, in fact they have started to put them in some of the sterile kits now.

Just thought I might suggest including nitrile or vynel gloves in your preps.

• 7 months later...

I was just reading the thread again (a refresher!) and was thinking of how I could isolate a family member if need be. My master bedroom has a bathroom, which would be very convenient, but all of my ceilings are cathedral-type. I don't have a room in my house (it's a one floor ranch with angled ceilings) where I could seal off with plastic. My master bedroom has a "sitting room", which I turned into an 8x10 pantry. There is a half wall dividing the rooms, but no way to seal off all of my food/preps from the "sick" area by the bathroom.

I think I need to pick up a commode and use my spare bedroom as a sick room if needed. But there again is the problem of not being able to seal off the room to isolate a sick person. The door frame is squared, I could tape off the doorway, but that won't give me the yellow and green zones. I need to think more on this subject and see what I can figure out.