MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

$25 WEEKLY PREP LIST FOR FLU AND FIRST AID HOME TREATMENTS *re-posted*

Before I start, let me say that this is for anyone who is overwhelmed at the prospect of yet another prep area, and for those who know absolutely nothing about caring for the extremely sick. Aside from the list of suggested items to puchase or otherwise procure, there will be some instruction on how to use these things, and how they should work.

This is going to be a work in progress for at least a few days, so please bear with me. I don't type very fast and there is that pesky little thing called 'life in real time,' that always gets in the way of my 'net life'.

Some of this info is personal knowledge, as I am a trained surgical technician- military- who also went to nursing school, and worked on a degree in psychology. *no, I didn't get my degree, too crazy! * I have spent about 30 years studying everything I put my hands on concerning medicine. I have an insatiable thirst for knowledge and a burning curiosity about almost everything. My parents made the mistake of telling me that I could read anything I wanted, and I haven't stopped yet!

Some of this is information gleaned from online research, and a newly formed interest in homeopathy and herbalism. Some of it is 'that little voice' that whispers to me just before I wake, in the wee hours of the morning. *I'll explain that one later.*

My fervent hope is that 'some of it' will benefit my family & friends here, at MrsS.

I know that for some, $25 per week is an awful lot to spend on additional preps. These are only suggestions; if you need to spend less, or are able to spend more, adjust the lists according to your financial situation. As with the $20.00 weekly lists, and any supplemental lists I've created, make any changes you deem necessary, as nothing is written in stone. These are my lists, and what I feel will work and is needed, and I'm just sharing them with you so, please don't ask me to change anything, I won't.

There will be leftover money at times. Put this in a jar or something and don't touch it! This will be important, as you will soon see. Here we go...

$25.00 WEEKLY PREP LIST FOR FLU & FIRST AID

WEEK 1- shop at the dollar store;

3 bottles expectorant type cough syrup $3.00

3 tubs anti-bacterial hand wipes 40-80 ct $3.00

1 thermometer $1.00

2 bottles hydrogen peroxide 2/$1.00

2 bottles isopropyl alcohol 2/$1.00

2 boxes assorted bandages $2.00 - if you can find them, get waterproof and/or colloidal silver coated

3 individual water jugs $3.00

2 packs latex household gloves $2.00

2 cans disinfectant spray $2.00

1 bottle listerine type mouthwash $1.00

1 bottle acetaminophen $1.00

1 bottle ibuprofen $1.00

2 bottles waterless anti-bacterial hand cleaner $2.00

1 roll trash bags $1.00

1 small trash can $1.00

total $25.00 - nothing left for kitty

WEEK 2- Wal Mart or other discount dept store;

4 boxes anti-viral Kleenex $1.67 ea $6.68

1 box Mucinex $17.96

total $24.64 - $ .36 left for kitty

WEEK 3- drug store, Wal Mart or other discount store;

3 boxes oscillococcinum $7.99 ea $23.97

total $23.97 - $1.03 left for kitty

WEEK 4- drug store, or discount store;

2 tubes triple antibiotic ointment $2.99 ea $5.98

1 bottle tea tree oil $3.99

1 box Emer’gen-C $7.99

total $17.96 - $7.04 left for kitty

WEEK 5- order online from herbalcom.com; HERBALCOM.Com

2 lbs green tea $4.65 lb $9.30

1 lb whole chamomile flowers - for tea $5.60

handling fee (no shipping) $5.25

total $20.15 - $4.85 left for kitty

WEEK 6- drug store or discount store;

1 box Mucinex $17.96

total $17.96 - $7.04 left for kitty

WEEK 7- Wal Mart or other discount store;

4 boxes anti-viral Kleenex $1.67 ea $6.68

3 packs travel size anti-bacterial hand wipes $.92 ea $2.76

total $9.44 - $15.56 left for kitty

Kitty total is now $35.88. It is time to order masks and gloves online...

WEEK 8-

3M 9211 N95 Respirator MASKS Order 2 packs at $17.00 ea

On the same page almost at the bottom, are latex gloves. They are $7.00 per box of 100 gloves, or 50 pr. Order 2 boxes.

masks $34.00

gloves $14.00

shipping $7.95

total $55.95.

With your $25.00 for this week, and the $35.88 from the kitty, you will still have $4.93 to put back in the kitty.

We're making progress...

Back later...

There is always method to my madness. The following will explain some of the items listed.

Three strategies for reducing infection by the H5N1 Bird Flu virus

1) Reducing the viral load;

The initial numbers of invading H5N1 Bird Flu viruses need to be reduced so the body’s own defence system will not be overwhelmed. This means to destroy as many invading H5N1 Bird Flu viruses as soon as possible as they enter the body to make it easier for the body’s own immune system to cope. This is usually achieved by using commercial antiviral drugs. Since the commercial antivirals, Tamiflu and Relenza, will most likely not be available due to limited supply and production, then people will have to resort to natural antivirals found in common foods. The only other two commercial antivirals available have a history of serious side effects and are not recommended by the World Health Organisation as a treatment.

Start building up the natural antivirals in your body. Having a build up of antivirals in the body during a flu season will decrease the viral load that your immune system has to destroy. The antivirals only help the immune system to cope and not be overwhelmed by a sudden large amount of completely new viruses that the body has not yet developed antibodies for. Natural antivirals only last for about 3 hours in the body so regular doses must be maintained. Eating different antiviral foods at different times can do this. (see Folk Medicines)

2) Reducing the production of the inflammatory cytokines TNF-a and IL-6;

The production of the immune systems natural toxic and inflammatory antivirals (cytokines TNF-a and IL-6) needs to be suppressed to prevent death by a cytokine storm.

During the 1918 Spanish Flu, large numbers of very healthy people died from a Cytokine storm. (see Symptoms) Finding suitable substances that may reduce a cytokine storm would be a priority for most people.

Foods and folk medicines that stimulate production of the toxic inflammatory cytokines, TNF-a and IL-6 in the immune system would need to be avoided.

Other foods containing chemicals that will suppress the production of these two inflammatory cytokines may be beneficial providing they do not totally suppress the rest of the immune system’s production of helpful cytokines.

(increased inflammatory cytokines are also associated with migraines)

3) Boosting the Immune System;

Finally the immune system needs to be boosted without increasing the toxic cytokines TNF-a and IL-6.There are many natural foods that help boost the body’s immune system. However, some of these need to be avoided as they also increase the production of TNF-a and IL-6 cytokines. Some foods simply supply the immune system with the appropriate nutrients for antibody production. There is only recent research on these nutrients, called glyconutrients. Adequate supply of these nutrients facilitates the healing process.

Other natural foods may stimulate production of helpful cytokines but not the inflammatory cytokines. These are the substances that could be appropriate as a natural medication.

Folk Medicines and Herbs to use and avoid with Bird Flu - Tamiflu and Relenza Alternatives

Below is a list of foods that are said to contain substances that are natural antivirals, immune boosters or they decrease cytokines TNF-a and IL-6.

Tamiflu and Relenza are not only expensive, but is also in short supply, and in times of a pandemic we will need to rely on what mother nature has to offer.

Alternative medications that are most likely to help us during a severe pandemic;

+++++++++++

Garlic (allicin) - Very effective antiviral. Best if fresh (raw) and crushed. Must be consumed within 1 hour of crushing. Dosage is initially 2 to 3 cloves per day but later reduce until no body odour occurs. No toxic effects noted. (Pubmed PMID 9049657)

+++++++++++

Vitamin C - Boosts the immune system and is an antiviral by blocking the enzyme neuraminadase. Viruses need neuraminadase to reproduce. There are anecdotal stories of people taking large amounts of Vitamin C (children ½) surviving the Spanish Flu. Research shows that it may reduce the production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6. A study on 470 people involved giving the test group 1000 mg hourly for 6 hours and then 1000 mg 3 times daily after reporting flu symptoms. Symptoms decreased by 85%. (Pubmed PMID 10543583, 634178, 16169205, 12876306)

++++++++++++

Green Tea (possible Tamiflu/Relenza alternative)- Very effective antiviral. Also decreases the production of the cytokine (catechins) TNF-a. Inhibits neuraminidase. May have antiviral activity that is equal to other antivirals such as Tamiflu ( Pubmed PMID 16137775 )

+++++++++++

St Johns Wort (Hypericum) - Very effective antiviral. Also decreases the production of the cytokine IL-6. Hypericum is an extract from St John’s Wort. There have been some very successful field trials in commercial flocks infected with H5N1 in Vietnam. (Pubmed PMID 7857513, 11518071, 11362353, 7857513, 11518071)

+++++++++++

Vitamin E Immune booster. Also decreases the production of the cytokine TNF-a. (Pubmed PMID 155882360, 10929076) Experiments involved using mice. Very suitable for immune compromised people, especially the elderly. Effects enhanced when taken with Vitamin C.

+++++++++++

Apple Juice - Antiviral. Fresh apple juice including the pulp and skin has greater antiviral activity than heated commercial apple juice. More research is needed. Effectiveness on H5N1 is unknown (Pubmed PMID 32832, 12452634)

++++++++++++

Resveratrol - Antiviral. In addition to inhibiting neuraminidase, Resveratrol also sends a message to cells to stop manufacturing viruses. This is a proven antiviral found naturally in red wine, peanuts, mulberries, Japanese Knotwood root (richest source), raisins and red grapes.

Resveratrol supplements are relatively inexpensive, are more stable than wine and is available in liquid form for absorption in the mouth. No toxic effects noted. (Pubmed PMID 1583880, 12817628, 15985724)

++++++++++++

Scuttellaria (Skullcap)- Antiviral. An herb used as a tea. It has no side effects and is also a mild tranquillizer. Research suggests neuraminidase, which is a substance needed by the H5N1 Bird Flu virus to reproduce, may be inhibited..

+++++++++++

Cranberry Juice - Early research shows that it may be an antiviral, making viruses less able to invade or multiply. Effectiveness on H5N1 is unknown (Pubmed PMID15781126)

+++++++++++

Cat’s Claw (Uncaria tomentosa)- Decreases the production of the cytokine TNF-a. Also boosts immune system. The number of white blood cells was significantly increased during treatment. No toxicity was noted. (www.uspharmacist.com..id 844)

(www. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez..t_uids=10962207) Active constituents can be found in the leaves, bark, vine, and roots. Water extraction from bark used. Children and pregnant women are to avoid. Has a potentially damaging effect on the DNA of proliferating cells (cancers, foetuses, growing children)

+++++++++++

Curcumin (Turmeric Spice) - Decreases the production of the cytokine TNF-a. This is the yellow compound in turmeric spice. Research shows that this may be very good for preventing a cytokine storm although this is not proven (www.pdrhealth. com/drug_info/cur_0087), (enzy.com/abstracts/display1961)

Must be taken with food or gastritis or peptic ulcers may occur.

Pregnant women and feeding mothers should avoid this. The medicinal properties of curcurnin cannot be utilised when used alone due to rapid metabolism in the liver and intestinal wall. When combined with Piperine found in black pepper the absorption is increased with no adverse effects.(www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/pip_0322)

Obtainable from health stores in tablets, liquid, capsules already combined with piperine. Dosage is 500mg to 4000mg daily.

++++++++++++++

Astragalus root (Astragali Radix) - Boosts immune system (Pubmed PMID15588652)

++++++++++++++

Tea tree Steam Inhalation - Reduces the cytokine TNF-a. Add 2 drops of tea tree oil in a bowl of steaming water. Cover head with a towel and inhale for 5 to 10 minutes. Relieves congestion and fights infection. Its effectiveness is unknown. (Pubmed PMID 11131302)

++++++++++++++

The following substances may be best to avoid during a H5N1 pandemic:

~~~~~~~~~~

Elderberry juice (Sambucal) - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6. This substance is very effective against the common flu but may not be desirable for the H5N1 Bird Flu virus. Increases in these cytokines may trigger a lethal cytokine storm. (Isr Med Journal2002 Nov;4:944-6)

~~~~~~~~~~~

Micro Algae (Chlorella and Spirulina) - Increases production of cytokine TNF-a (Pubmed PMID 11731916)

~~~~~~~~~~~

Honey - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6 (Pubmed PMID12824009)

~~~~~~~~~~~

Chocolate - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6 (Pubmed PMID 12885154, PMID 10917928)

~~~~~~~~~~~

Echinacea - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6. Although it is often used for normal flu, research shows that it may increase the chance of cytokine storms for H5N1 (Pubmed PMID 15556647, 9568541)

~~~~~~~~~~~

Kimchi - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6 (Pubmed PMID15630182)

~~~~~~~~~~

Dairy products & Bananas - These foods increase mucous production.

• Like 1

Before I continue the weekly posts, I wanted to explain a couple of things.

I chose those particular masks because, if you've never worn a face mask, they can be a little hard to take. It's a little easier with the cooling valve because you're not constantly breathing in stale air.

No matter what mask you choose, take one out and wear it for a few minutes at a time, increasing your time with each practice, until you can wear it for at least 1/2 hour. You can re-use your practice mask until you're comfortable wearing it. Then be sure to throw it away.

The last thing you want is to have a claustrophobic panic attack when you really need to keep the mask on.

If you tend to touch your face a lot, practice keeping your hands away. Have someone close to you remind you each time your hand moves toward your face.

Touching your face, even wearing gloves, in a contaminated environment means you've just contaminated yourself. It doesn't matter where on your face, or for how long, you are still contaminated.

Take out a pair of gloves. Using a big glob of waterless hand cleaner, rub your hands together to disinfect them for a minimum of 20 seconds, front and back. Around here, we sing the 'ABC' song. *kids, ya know? * When the hand cleaner is all dissolved, pick up one of the gloves and tuck your fingers under the rolled edge to help you pull it on the other hand. Do the same thing with the opposite hand. Now here's the tricky part.

So that you get it right, put both gloved hands in something wet or greasy, that will at least partially adhere to the gloves. Now, tuck your fingers under the edge of the glove again, and roll it down towards your hand to pull it off. Leave it on the bottom half of your hand, and roll the other glove down the same way. When you get the second glove almost off, grab it and pull it inside the first one, as you push the first glove off.

The idea is to not touch your bare skin with the outside of the gloves. When your wearing them in a contaminated area, after you take them off, clean your hands with the waterless hand cleaner again, or give them a good scrub under warm running water with an antibacterial soap. Again, sing the 'ABC' song. It works, really, really.

Don't wash your hands with super hot water; it tends to open your pores too much and can leave them raw after a while.

Always put a fresh mask on before you glove up, and take it off after removing your gloves, but before re-washing your hands. Dispose of masks, gloves and any other disposables, in a trash can with a lid, lined with a heavy duty plastic liner. If you don't want to empty the trash every hour, mix up a bottle of vinegar/bleach solution -per Darlene's recipe- at the beginning of the day, and after disposing of the gloves, etc., give the contents of the trash a really good spraying. If that solution will kill anthrax, avian flu doesn't stand a chance!

Back later...

• Like 1

It's been a few days, sorry. I've been busy. No matter, I bet you haven't gotten thru the first 8 weeks anyway!

There have been some good suggestions in the comments post below, but I'll leave them as they stand. Repeating them here would only be redundant.

I should tell you that most things I buy, I get in multiples of three. I have no idea exactly why, except it seems that everything I've done well in my life has ended in three. I guess 3 is a lucky number for me, and when I buy three of something instead of 1 or 2, I seem to feel that I've accomplished something solid.

If I say get 3 of something, and you have a family of 2, then that's perfect. If your family is larger, get multiples of 3 to fit your family size.

For example, Becca-Anne's family is 6, and so is Darlene's. If they were to follow this rule, they would try to get 9. The amount they need, plus 3 extra. My family is 5 so I still get 9. That way you always have a little extra.

If it makes no sense right now, it will later, I hope. Especially if you suddenly have unexpected visitors.

Now, the first place we're going is back to the dollar store!

Week 9: The Dollar Tree or other dollar store;

(4 doses per day) weekly pill dispenser -

28 compartments ea 3/$1.00 ea $3.00

3 bottles expectorant type cough syrup $3.00

3 tubs anti-bacterial hand wipes 40-80 ct $3.00

1 thermometer $1.00

2 bottles waterless anti-bacterial hand cleaner $2.00

1 roll trash bags $1.00

1 small trash can $1.00

2 boxes assorted bandages $2.00 - if you can find them, get waterproof and/or colloidal silver coated

3 individual water jugs $3.00

total $19.00 - $6.00 left for the kitty

WEEK 10- Wal Mart or other discount store;

9 boxes anti-viral Kleenex $1.67 ea $15.03

3 packs travel size anti-bacterial hand wipes $.92 ea $2.76

total $17.79 - $7.21 left for kitty

Week 11- we're going to order vitamins. The best company I've found is SWANSON'S

We have $18.14 in the kitty, and with our $25.00, that gives us $43.14 to spend. I chose Swanson because I like their products, prices and service, and I love their shipping price of $4.95, no matter what you order!

I can't tell you exactly what to order here, because vitamins should be tailored to personal needs. Check their outlet and sale page, and order 1 bottle of vitamins for each person in your family. Unless you have a really large family, you should be able to get them and still have money left over. I'll list some of what I ordered in vitamins, to give you an idea.

children's chewables 360 ct $8.79 - Princess B

mens' prime multi 180 ct $7.39 - AK

women's prime multi 180 ct $13.59 - Me

century formula multi 130 ct $3.59 - LP

subtotal $33.36

s & h $4.95

total $38.31

Which still leaves $4.83 for the kitty!

I know I didn't list vitamins for Cricket; she hates to swallow pills, so she got adult chewables, which are a bit spendy, so I'll put them on the next order. They were $7.69 for a 60 ct bottle of wafers, which, incidentally, look like giant, thick alka-seltzer! I would rather swallow a much smaller pill, then I don't have to keep tasting it! Yuck!

*BTW, if you have more than 1 child under 12, you can count the children's vitamins for 2 of them. We're trying to get at least 6 months of vitamins for each person. I ordered the Century multi vitamins for LP 'cause, he's almost 14 and taller than a lot of grown men! HE needs an adult vitamin. Judge for yourself, when it comes to your children. You know what their needs are. Remember, younger children have a hard time swallowing pills. Chewables are best for them.*

Week 12 - drug store, Wal Mart or other discount store;

3 boxes oscillococcinum $7.99 ea $23.97

total $23.97 - $1.03 left for kitty

My totals say we have $5.86 left in the kitty. Hang on to it. I'll be back later...

• Like 1

This is an excerpt from a book. I found it while doing a search on google. It seems to have a lot of good information, and I truly believe that staying informed is one of our best weapons.

I think this is the single most important statement made about the treatment of patients in the 1918 pandemic;

***Analgesics depress the system, mask symptoms, and cause pneumonia, which is the actual cause of death in influenza.*** We really need to heed these lessons. It could be vital to survival.

"Homeopathy In Influenza- A Chorus Of Fifty In Harmony" by W. A. Dewey, MD that appeared in the Journal of the American Institute of Homeopathy in 1920

According to the Dewey article the use of aspirin either directly or indirectly was the cause of more loss of lives than the influenza illness itself. Frank Newton, M.D and many of the other physicians indicated that its indirect action came through the fact that aspirin was taken until it caused prostration and then the patient developed pneumonia. A principle druggist from Montreal declared that 900 patients died from influenza. They were directed to take a 5 – grain aspirin tablet every three hours, but more took ten grains every three hours. It is important to point out that at this time aspirin was a relatively new drug and because large doses were prescribed it obviously had a highly toxic effect upon the body. Today physicians do not prescribe aspirin in these doses; the inherent danger of toxicity is known and understood.

“In several cases aspirin weakened the heart, depressed the vital forces, increased the mortality in mild cases and made convalescence slower. In all cases it masks the symptoms and renders immeasurably more difficult the selection of a curative remedy.”

Guy Stearns, M. D. ; New York

Many of the physicians who practiced the conventional medicine of the day were using aspirin, iodized lime, opiates and quinine and they commonly spoke about losing 60% of their pneumonia cases. The homeopathic physicians avoided the use of aspirin and other drugs prescribed in material doses and subsequently had a very low death rate. Arthur Grimmer M.D. declared that the development of pneumonia was a rare occurrence if a good homeopathic physician was called during the first 24 hours of an attack of influenza.

“I attended over one hundred cases without any fatalities. I never deviated from the homeopathic remedy. I never gave aspirin …. This epidemic should encourage us to renewed faith in Homeopathy.”

G. H. Wright, M. D; Forest Glen, Md.

Frank Wieland, M. D; Chicago

In a plant of 8.000 workers we had only one death .Gelsemium was practically the only remedy used, there was no use of either aspirin or vaccination.

E.Fisher, M.D; Chicago:

In the Public Health service in New Mexico among the Mexican population chiefly Veratrum viride, Gelsemium and Bryonia were introduced and excellent results followed their use in influenza. No cases died under homeopathic medication.

C.B.Stouffer, M.D; Ann Arbor:

We treated over 300 cases of influenza among the members of the Student army Training Corps with no deaths. Gelsemium, Bryonia and Ferrum phosporicum were the leading remedies. Only in those cases having had aspirin was convalescence delayed and pneumonia produced.

W.F. Edmundson, M. D; Pittsburgh:

One physician in a Pittsburgh hospital asked a nurse if she knew any better than what he was doing, because he was losing so many cases.

“Yes, Doctor, stop Aspirin and go down to a homeopathic pharmacy, and get homeopathic remedies.”

The Doctor replied; “But that is homeopathy.”

“I know it, but the homeopathic doctors for whom I have nursed have not lost a single case.”

Cora Smith King, M. D; Washington D. C:

Three hundred and fifty cases were treated and I only lost one.

F. A. Swartwout, M. D; Washington D. C:

Eleven men reported 3,600 cases with 6 deaths. My records show 750 cases with one death. Gelsemium, Bryonia and Eupatorium were the remedies chiefly.

Dean W.A. Pearson of Philadelphia:

Collected 26,795 cases of influenza treated by homeopathic physicians with a mortality rate of 1.05%, while the average old school was 30%.

E. F. Sappington, M. D; Philadelphia:

Fifteen hundred cases were reported at The Homeopathic Medical Society of the District of Columbia, with but fifteen deaths. Recoveries in the National Homeopathic Hospital were 100%

H.A. Roberts, M. D; Derby, Connecticut:

Thirty physicians responded to my request for data. They reported 6,602 cases with 55 deaths, which is less than 1%:

G. B. Stearns, M. D; New York:

Though the international Hahnemannian Association I have collected 17,000 cases of influenza with mortality rate of 4%

H.H. Crum, M. D; Ithaca, New York:

I had 300 cases and one death; one good homeopathic doctor had 275 cases and no deaths. I am health officer for my city.

E.C. Price, M. D; Baltimore:

Dr. M. I. Roger of Portsmouth, N.H; treated 331 cases with two deaths. Dr. G. G. Bascomb of Lake Wilson, Minnesota; 300 cases with no deaths.

T.G. Barnhill, M. D; Findlay, Ohio:

I treated 455 cases of influenza and 26 cases of pneumonia with no deaths. Remedies: Gelsemium, Bryonia and Apis.

T. A. McCann, M. D; Dayton, Ohio:

I have treated 1,000 cases of influenza. I have the records to show my work. I have no loses. Please give all credit to homeopathy.

Lloyd Brothers, Cincinnati:

One thousand eclectic physicians were asked to name the remedies most useful in influenza and in pneumonia. Over 75% named Aconite and Bryonia in pneumonia.

J. G. Dillon, M. D; Fargo, N. D:

76 cases developed in a children’s home without any complicating pneumonia or death. Most of the cases were treated with Bryonia and Gelsemium, which seemed to be successful in carrying them through to complete recovery.

Wm. E. Leonard, M .D; Minneapolis:

In some 150 cases treated in the first flu epidemic Gelsemium and Bryonia were the chief remedies. Very few had pneumonia, none that I treated from the beginning.

C.P. Bryant, M. D; Seattle:

I treated over 100 cases of influenza and pneumonia, lost two cases, one who had taken aspirin for a week when pneumonia developed before I was called; the other a very malignant case with a very high temperature from the onset. Remedies; Gelsemium, Eupatorium, Bryonia etc;

A.B. Palmer, M. D; Seattle:

I treated approximately 500 cases which included pneumonia, lost two cases; never used Aspirin nor permitted it to be used.

Chief drugs were Belladonna, Gelsemium, and Sticta for the throat symptoms, Mercurius, Natrum muriaticum and Kali muriaticum.

Wm. Boericke, M. D; San Francisco:

I treated approximately 50 cases of influenza, had two pneumonias, all recovered. Remedies Gelsemium, Bryonia and Rhus Tox chiefly.

The Dewey article is an extremely clear testament to the effectiveness of homeopathic remedies that were used to treat influenza and the pneumonia that often developed. Many of the physicians indicate that they were always successful when a suitable homeopathic remedy was given at the beginning of the illness. However, prescribing proved more difficult when a patient would be seen some time into the illness and especially if they had taken aspirin. It is in these scenarios that a physician possibly lost a patient.

“The reasons why children fared better than adults in the influenza epidemic were:

They were seen earlier by the physician.

They were not drugged.

They were not filled up with aspirin.

They were put to bed.

They were given the proper remedy and had a fine chance.”

Dr. J.P. Cobb, Chicago.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

According to Homeopathic doctors, Oscillococcinum is a good treatment for flu.

This is the description from Swanson's Vitamins website;

Oscillococcinum 6 doses $7.89

# A homeopathic remedy to ease the symptoms of flu

# Most effective if taken at the first sign of flu

# An all-natural aid that won't leave you drowsy

Pronounced "o-sil-o-cox-see-num," this world- famous formula is "the first thing to take at the first sign of flu." A non-drowsy homeopathic medicine, it's safe and natural, with no drug interactions or other risks associated with over- the-counter synthetic remedies. Oscillococcinum works best when taken at the first signs, so make sure you have some on hand the next time the flu sneaks up on you.

I intend to have this in my flu kit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The homeopathic medicines they used are all found in;

Hyland's Complete Flu Care Value Pack 120 ct tabs $7.19

# A homeopathic remedy to fight off flu symptoms

# Features non-drowsy, quick dissolving tablets to relieve many flu-like symptoms

Feeling down in the dumps? Hyland's Complete Flu Care won't let you stay down for long. Complete Flu Care features quick dissolving tablets for non-drowsy relief of fever and chills, body aches, headache, cough, congestion and more. It's the one homeopathic remedy you can't afford to be without this season.

This flu remedy has all the ingredients used to treat the Spanish flu. The dosages are already measured and ready to use. This will be one of the major players in my flu fighting kit. I've already ordered some.

~~~~~~~~~~

Boiron Coldcalm 60 ct tabs $6.49

# Homeopathic remedy to help alleviate cold symptoms

# Provides temporary relief for runny nose, sneezing, congestion, sore throat and more

# A safe, effective, non-drowsy formula

Tackle cold symptoms the natural way with Coldcalm. This non-drowsy formula combines nine active homeopathic ingredients to provide temporary relief of sneezing, runny nose, nasal congestion, and minor sore throat. And unlike other cold remedies, Coldcalm has no risk of harmful drug interactions--all you get is safe, effective relief.

This is the third major treatment in my flu fighting arsenal.

They can all be found locally, or you can order them from Swanson's online. If there is another company from which you prefer to order, then by all means, do so.

Also, if you're not comfortable with this type of treatment, then discuss it with your doctor, or search for alternatives.

Again, these are the things that I feel will work best for my family and me, and what I intend to use. These are merely suggestions, we each need to find our own paths.

Back later...

• Like 1

Before we move on to weeks 16, etc., I want to talk about sick rooms, and setting up for isolation flu care.

Some of us are fortunate enough to have a room that can be used to isolate a contagious patient, others don't. Either way, there are things that should be done to protect the health of the caregiver, as well as the rest of the family.

The money for weeks 13, 14, & 15 will be combined for supplies to set up a sick room. Along with what's in the kitty, it should be easy to accomplish.

We're going to buy a roll of 6 mil thick, clear plastic, 8 feet wide and a minimum of 25 feet long. It will depend on your space available. We also need a couple of rolls of duct tape. Here's the supply list;

clear plastic 8' X 25' $17.00 - obtain at a hardware store- normally used for temporary greenhouses.

2 or 3 rolls of duct tape - $3.00 dollar store

steam vaporizer- not cool mist- $15.00 Wal Mart or drug store

small box fan - window size $10.00 - discount store &

small heater with fan only setting $10.00 (both on sale now)

2 plastic dishpans $2.00 - dollar store

large trash can with flip-type lid $9.00 - discount store

disposable bedliners for 'accidents' $10.00 - discount store

2 opaque shower curtains $2.00 - dollar store

If you have a spare bedroom, great! It will be fairly easy to set up, just try to make it a room close to the center of the daily activity in your house, like the kitchen. If you don't have a spare room, section off a portion of your dining room or living room.

Whatever your patient is going to sleep on, put it close to a window. It can be a twin bed, roll away bed, cot, hammock, or even a thick piece of foam, placed on a cut of 1" plywood on top of several concrete blocks. You also need it close to a heat source.

Put the box fan in the window, facing out- you want the fan to blow outside, instead of in.

Sorry, I have to go but I'll be back later... I'll finish then.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long to get back. Life gets progressively more complicated every day...

Okay, back to the sick room setup.

Whatever your patient is going to sleep on, put it close to a window. It can be a twin bed, roll away bed, cot, hammock, or even a thick piece of foam, placed on a cut of 1" plywood on top of several concrete blocks, or several - 4 minimum - full 5 gal buckets.. You also need it close to a heat source.

Put the box fan in the window, facing out- you want the fan to blow outside, instead of in. Seal off the area around the fan with plastic and duct tape. Preferred location is at the head of the bed.

Place the heater at the opposite end of the bed. You'll want it where it can blow directly on your patient, but not where it can be kicked or knocked over.

You need a table or nightstand right next to the bed, to hold things like a water jug or pitcher & cup, a thermometer, a small washbasin- dishpan- and a spray bottle and washcloth. If you have a stand with a drawer or two, even better. If not, get a basket to hold all the miscellany, and put it under the table.

Next, using your duct tape and clear plastic, section off the area where the bed is by taping, tacking, or stapling the plastic to the ceiling. First, cut 2 pieces of plastic, each 2 feet wider than half of the space. Ex., if the area of the room is 10 feet wide, cut 2 pieces of clear plastic 12 feet wide each. Using the duct tape, reinforce one edge of each piece - tape both sides of the top edge - this is the edge that you will place against the ceiling.

Next, starting at the wall at either end, with several feet of space- if available- between the bed area and the plastic, tape the plastic to the wall, floor to ceiling. Tack the plastic 1 foot away from where it is taped - going out towards the room. Start connecting it to the ceiling, overlapping the center with 1 foot on either side.

This overlap will give you a place to go thru to the quarantine area, yet still keep the area sealed off.

If you have a spare room, You can either seal the doorway in the same manner, or seal off half the room, leaving the other half as your prep area, and a place where your patient can be observed or talked to, without breaking quarantine.

I would personally prefer to seal off half the room as well as the doorway; it makes it a lot easier to glove and mask up just outside your quarantined space, and it will give you room to put a trashcan for disposables and a table for other supplies.

Ideally, you will have 3 separate areas; Red zone- where your patient actually is quarantined, Yellow zone- your prep and disinfecting area, and Green zone- the remaining area where you do a first/final cleanup. This would actually divide the room into 3 spaces. The green zone would be just inside the doorway, with a small table for waterless hand cleaner, gloves, masks, and shoe covers. If you want, you can put plastic between the green zone and the yellow zone, which is where you will have your trashcan, more waterless hand cleaner or disinfecting wipes, and any meds or treatments.

I hope this doesn't seem too confusing, because it really isn't. If you have one room available that is at least 10' x 12', you can easily create this space.

When you step into your green zone, clean your hands and put on your PPE - personal protective equipment - ie; gloves, mask, gown, shoe covers, head cover - whatever you have decided to use. Step into your yellow zone and prepare any meds, or anything else you need to take in to your patient. Go into your red zone and take care of your patient, check temp, pulse, & bp, if you know how. It's a good idea to keep a chart of patient progress, temps, etc., and easy to do using just a small notebook. Remember to leave it in the patient area. It would be considered a 'hot' (red zone) item.

When you step out of the red zone and into the yellow zone, remove your head cover, gown, shoe covers and gloves. Place in trashcan. Wash hands and remove mask. Toss in trashcan. Step into green zone and wash hands again.

Repeat each time you go in or out and you will greatly increase your chances of containing the virus.

I'm actually going to set up in my dining room, if I need to do a quarantine area. That way, I'll be able to keep an eye on my patient at all times.

I'm not going to try to figure this into the budget but, you should seriously consider what your going to do about bathroom facilities for a quarantined patient. If wouldn't make sense to go thru the trouble of setting up a quarantine area, only to have them go thru the house to use the potty.

You have 3 choices that I would consider;

1) a room with a private bathroom... the best idea of all!

2) a bedside commode, such as those found in sick rooms and hospitals... not ideal, a little messy, and problematic when it comes to disposal.

3) a bedpan... not my ideal choice under any circumstances, but it beats the alternative...

DIAPERS! YUCK!!!

Back later...

• Like 1

Nana,

I bought an "N95" mask (with respirator) for each member of my family in case of an epidemic. When you mentioned throwing away the mask in the yellow zone, I was concerned because these masks were a bit pricy. Aren't they reuseable? Maybe reuseable just going out in public? Should I have spares for actually taking care of an infected person?

Thanks,

Anyala

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Hello, Nana

Great, great posts/info here. Thank you for taking the time!

I am an RN. Been seeing respiratory problems all year here; mainly pneumonia. All of us talk about this fact and how odd it seems; it not really being the way it use to be.

Watched a program on PBS; out of South Carolina. There was a panel speaking of Pandemic Flu and the set up they have for the people. The main things I gathered from this program were:

1)Stay home! The CDC guy kept bringing this up. No matter how long it lasts.

2)Have all your supplies; including meds. There is so much that we each just run to the store for when we need it. (your posts are wonderful with this subject!)

3)Don't depend on being able to go to the Dr. or the hospital

(I will try to post the info about this soon-comes from a CEU I worked on-includes nursing role of telling people not to go to the Dr./hospital; to stay home)

Please,please everyone.....listen and take action. Even if it is just a little bit a week, start storing up and educating yourself.

I'm with ya, Nana! Thanks again.

Mountain Child

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, but I just wanted to say thank you to Nana for this prep list. I've been so worried about this flu. I had flu and bronchitis three times last year and I think my immune system is low. I don't want to get sick again this year with any kind of flu/bronchitis. There's only me and my 86 y.o. father, so I have to prepare.

I went and ordered all the natural remedies you listed. Read reviews and sounded good. I have to take several meds and have such a hard time with OTC meds interacting, these sounded like they would be safe. Also ordered some cough syrup.

I've made my list and as I can I will start buying items, I know its late, but at least maybe I'll have the basics if something happens.

Thanks again for such a comprehensive list.

I've made my list and as I can I will start buying items, I know its late, but at least maybe I'll have the basics if something happens.

Thanks again for such a comprehensive list.

Katz,

It's never to late to start and anything you do is better than the nothing that others are doing. You are an a minium one step ahead of lots of other people.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Great site!!

Well I went yesterday to 2 Dollar Stores and grocery store and bought some things to store. Went to the online site and ordered the products Nana talked about, I definately would rather try natural vs. meds. Got just about everything she had listed, still have a few things to get.

Bought some water, food, just basic things. Anyway got it all dated and put up, so I feel good.

• 2 weeks later...

I worked at a major pharmacy chain recently and heard alot of good things about Oscillococcinum, watch the ads in Walgreens and CVS because last year they had those for like $2 a box for like a month.

Also we picked up alot of our supplies from mask, med, and tissue for next to nothing by talking to some of the managers and finding out when they are expecting module or revision changes. About 6 months ago some of the Walgreens went to a low profile store and from what I heard at a corp meeting this would be going on all over, this resulting in some major clearance in stores. A little studding or blowing some time at CVS, Walgreens, or other chain store ( smaller ones can scoped out in a smaller amount of time ) can save you some $$

• 8 years later...

Bumping this to the top!  It's that time of year again.  Just made my dreaded trip to Wal-Mart and bought some Mucinex to replace our expired boxes.  When you have the flu, the last thing you feel like doing is going out to the drugstore for meds.  I also need to make up some more bone broth for the freezer.  

I'll also be placing an order for antibiotics through Cal/Vet to replace expired meds.  Luckily, we haven't needed them other than to treat a feral cat with an abcess, but it's nice to know they are there in the event of an emergency.

• Like 3

Our bottle of Oregano Essential Oil is on our middle aisle and we take a "sniff" every time we come home from being out and about etc.  Also made a bottle of Elderberry Syrup With A Kick and it's in our frig should we need it.  We try very hard to stay out of the "sick aisles" ... pharmacy, doctor's offices etc.  When we must go, we stand as far away from others as possible and we never touch the magazines in the doctor's offices etc.  When we get home we "sniff" and we'll be taking a teaspoon of Elderberry at bedtime.  We also have our Netty pots ready should we need them.  That's our preps and so far they seem to protect us quite well.

• Like 1
On 9/10/2018 at 9:59 PM, The WE2's said:

Our bottle of Oregano Essential Oil is on our middle aisle and we take a "sniff" every time we come home from being out and about etc.  Also made a bottle of Elderberry Syrup With A Kick and it's in our frig should we need it.  We try very hard to stay out of the "sick aisles" ... pharmacy, doctor's offices etc.  When we must go, we stand as far away from others as possible and we never touch the magazines in the doctor's offices etc.  When we get home we "sniff" and we'll be taking a teaspoon of Elderberry at bedtime.  We also have our Netty pots ready should we need them.  That's our preps and so far they seem to protect us quite well.

...and our Thieves Oil of course!

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

With flu season around the corner. This needs to be bumped.  We never know how bad the flu season can get from year to year as it is also based on location as well. For some it won't be bad and for other areas it can be really bad. I see some good post on pandemics as well. I know elderberry is very good. My daughter swears by airborn. But must be used at first signs of a cold. We have started back taking Vit. C. We don't usally take that during the summer. Fire cider is another one that is great. We got our flu shots about 2 weeks ago, so that should have now kicked in. October is the best time they say to get the flu shots. 

Any other ideas on staying well from the dredded flu season?

• 4 months later...

Quoting Green Deane:

Also I am not an herbalist and this is not medical advice. It is just information you might want to know.

“If one is inclined to drink an herbal tea at times like this tea made from Bidens might be a reasoned choice. I have read the virus specifically targets (and replicates within) ciliated cells, destroying the cells and their capacity to move mucus up and out of the lungs. Cilia-protective herbs include any berberine containing plants and Bidens... (and olive oil.) Bidens alba (Spanish Needles, Beggar’s Ticks, Pitchfork Weed) is very common locally and easy to identify.

I use a dehydrator to dry it but a hot car or an oven will do. Once dry rub the stems to break up the leaves and seeds and small stems. Toss the big stems.  http://www.eattheweeds.com/spanish-needles-pitchfork-weed

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 1