MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

New Virus

Katz25

http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/factbox-new-virus-can-cause-fever-cough-breathing-problems

Factbox: New virus can cause fever, cough, breathing problems

LONDON (Reuters) - The World Health Organisation (WHO) has issued a global alert about the emergence of a new virus that was previously unknown in humans and can cause a potentially fatal acute respiratory infection.

Here is an at-a-glance guide to the virus:

The virus belongs to a family called coronaviruses and has so far been confirmed in only two cases globally. Both occurred between July and September 2012.

The first case was in a 60-year-old man in Saudi Arabia and proved fatal. The second is in a 49-year-old Qatari man who recently visited Saudi Arabia. He had the infection diagnosed after travelling to London in early September.

The WHO has not yet given the virus a name, but scientists at Britain's Health Protection Agency (HPA) refer to it as "London1_novel CoV 2012".

Human coronaviruses were first identified in the mid-1960s and are named for the crown-like projections on the surface of the virus.

The family includes viruses that cause the common cold and SARS, or Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, which emerged in China in 2002 and killed about 10 percent of approximately 8,000 people infected worldwide.

Symptoms in the two confirmed cases include fever, cough and breathing difficulties. It is not yet clear whether these are typical or whether the virus could be circulating more widely but causing milder illness.

Coronaviruses are typically spread like other respiratory infections, such as flu, travelling in airborne droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

At this stage it is not clear where the virus came from. New infections can emerge from mutations to existing viruses, or be caught from infections circulating in the animal population. Human diseases that come from animal are called zoonoses.

SOURCES: World Health Organisation, Health Portection Agency

(Reporting by Kate Kelland; Editing by David Goodman)

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/10/health-coronavirus-who-idUSL5N0EM2SB20130610?feedType=RSS&feedName=rbssHealthcareNews&rpc=43

The last line caught my attention: haj season is coming in October. How many of us have felt keyed up and anxious and on "overdrive" as far as preps go, every October for the past few years?

Me Amber. :hi:

Every fall I kick it in to high gear when it comes to prepping. I make sure I have plenty of veggies, meat and soups etc. I've canned up and I make a major run to Sam's Club for store bought canned goods and non-perishables. Same with fire wood. I always figured it was my nesting gene getting ready to be stuck at home during the long dark cold snowy winter months.

One good thing about setting up a sick room is most of the supplies I've bought last nearly forever and I only had to buy them once. I keep them in totes in a small spare bedroom closet ready to make that room into a 'flu room'. I'm not talking about meds though!

Things I've bought that last a long time OR one time use but don't expire are:

Washable bed pads

Throw away pads (Chux)

Mattress Cover (waterproof)

Pillow covers (waterproof)

Extra Sheets & Pillowcases

Bed Pan

Urinal (converts to either S/He

Emesis Basins

Wash Pan (small stainless bowl)

Thermometers (dig. & merc.)

Vaporizer

Gloves

Masks

Tissues

Paper Towels

Breathe Right Strips

Pilgrim Hats

Folding Cane

Trash Can (small)

Trash Bags

Hand Sanitizer

Heating Pad

I'm sure I've forgotten some things. That was off the top of my head. I bought a couple of those big totes on wheels and just about everything mentioned above fits in one of them. Also, I didn't buy everything at once! It took me awhile to get everything together. I could probably use a walker. I have a port-a-potty but it sits too close to the floor; I could use a taller bedside one. I still need to get the carpet in there replaced with wood or laminate. It helps that the bed is twin size in there. It kept the cost of bedding down.

Thanks for bringing this up. I needed to add a few things that I had forgotten about.

I just ordered:

Disposable Gowns http://www.amazon.com/Dynarex-ISOLATION-GOWN/dp/B000UH4PYU/ref=pd_sim_hpc_5

Disposable Shoe Covers http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Skid-Safety-Disposable-Cover/dp/B000EP7J4Q/ref=pd_sim_hpc_3

Disposable Care Bags http://www.amazon.com/Carebag-Vomit-Super-Absorbent-Liners/dp/B004XA8D2K/ref=sr_1_4?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1370921209&sr=1-4&keywords=vomit+bags

And now my birthday money is all spent. When D-ex asks me what I bought with my money I'll tell him 'barf bags'. :hapydancsmil:

I've got eye on those bed pan liners too. Maybe next year.

Edited: to fix link

Edited by Jeepers

For my granny we took the seat off a ladderback chair and slid an enamel pot (a chipped one) between the leg braces. I'd guess you'd have to experiment to find the right sized pot. It has to be secure without being difficult to remove for cleaning, and it can't be too far from the seat because that guarantees splash.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Camels or bats as possible vectors...yet it's spreading to Europe too. Origins in the Middle East.

Never a good time to be on planes with closed ventilation systems .....or hospitals. This one has a really high mortality rate, considering modern medical care. :o

MtRider :(