MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Anyone Start Flu Kit Yet?

Was wondering if anyone has started their kit yet, or maybe some of you are way ahead of me and have it done! I have just now been thinking about it because I have to think of my dad not being able to be anything I'm trying to figure out what to do if I get down with the flu or pneumonia. I've had bad pneumonia the last two years. I got a pneumonia shot this afternoon, never had one. I haven't got a flu shot, still debating on that one. The last two years within couple of hrs. getting the shot I started getting sick and was really, really sick went straight to pneumonia. So scared to get it, even tho they say it doesn't cause the flu I beg to differ, it does in my body.

Was wondering what you are putting or have put in your kit this year. Anything your adding that you haven't previously put in or just extra because its a good idea. I'm starting on OTC meds (have to be careful cause HBP & diabetes now), and starting adding food for the two of us and my dog and cats because if I'm sick I can't get out and my dad is unable to drive or do things like that anymore. I try to think of things because of him, bless his heart, so he won't have to be without.

Anyway just wondering, haven't even read if this is suppose to be a bad flu season or what. Getting some of the Elderberry cough syrups, those are great.,and can take with any medications. Okay suggestions welcome...thanks......Denise

What is a "Flu Kit"? Other than the Flu shot I can think only of a box of tissue, possibly hand sanitizer, and generally staying away from potential sick people. Some find the Flu shot questionable in view of the strange games the governments and health agencies are playing these years, one doesn't have confidence the vaccine doesn't include something 'extra'.

Unfortunately a Flu shot does not always prevent the Flu, especially if you happen to be exposed 'before' the vaccine takes effect about 2 weeks after the shot, or you get a variety of the Flu that is different from what they anticipated 2 years before would occur. The usual shot is an (un)educated guess of 3 varieties out of lots of them. If they guess wrong or the virus mutates before it gets to you, you should hope you are lucky.

Every year I have a birthday wish for a very healthy immune system, but its hard.

I can't believe I typed this all out and lost it. I'll try again.

My flu kit is pretty on going. I have all the hardware stuff stored in a tote and it never has to be rotated. By hardware I mean things like bedpan, emesis basin, bed pads, thermometers, vaporizer, tissues, hand sanitizer etc. I change out my meds about every 3-4 years. That is usually things like Thera-flu, cough medicine, cough drops, Zicam, Benedryl, Pepto, Imodium etc. I also keep cans of chicken noodle soup and chicken rice soup on hand. I found I can usually tolerate them when I'm sick. Also Gator-Aid and Pepsi and crackers. When I'm sick for some reason I crave Lays salty potato chips. So I keep a bag of those handy. When I get the flu it always ends up intestinal. My entire alimentary canal goes wonky. Enough said.

This summer I bought a couple of new things to add. I got a few paper gowns and paper booties. I already have masks. Those things are for the care giver which could be me. I also bought some 'barf bags'. Charming I know. I have an emesis basin for small issues but the bags hold a larger volume and have absorbent stuff in them.

I guess my 'flu' kit is really a sickroom kit that I try to keep at the ready for any illness or recovery.

Over the past two weeks I've taken the flu shot and started a collection. Got Pine-Sol, Lysol, Sambuccol, a bottle of guaifenesin pills, an acetamoniphen/benadryl mix, plain acetaminophen, plain Benadryl, pseudoephedrine, ginger/honey tea crystals, bottled lemon juice, some noxiously strong cough drops, and a load of mild cough drops. Need to inventory the soups for easy-eat food. I want to get a spare box of gloves (we use them for a lot of housekeeping jobs when someone is sick, to keep germs from spreading as easily), Listerine, new toothbrushes for everyone, crystal ginger, bottled water, extra TP, VapoRub, and some stuff I hope I'll remember when I'm juggling coupons etc. at CVS.

I have always kept a "sick kit" of tissues, paper plates and cups, plastic utensils, OTC meds and gatorade in addition to the food storage. I was a nurse for 20 years, so also keep medical supplies on hand along with fishmox. I do all of the cooking and cleaning, so in the past when I have been sick, DH thinks the answer is McDonalds. We don't tend to keep frozen meals, but I have learned to keep a frozen lasagna or a couple of pizzas just for these occasions. In fact, I picked up a lasagna last weekend, and BAM! DH came down with the flu monday, with me and DD right behind him. While we had everything here in the house we needed, I am adding 1 thing to our flu preps...telling even our dearest friends to keep back if they smell like cough drops or show any signs of illness. We had a couple of friends come back form the Phillipines and as they hugged us hello, I smelled cough drops. They went on to tell us about the terrible crud they caught there! Hey, next time, bring me a tshirt, not a 104 fever! FIL also was sick, we saw him 2 days prior to seeing them, he did not say a word ahead of visiting, but I smelled the cough drops again. In the past I have always worried about hurting someone's feelings or seeming uncaring, but after how horrible this week was, we will not worry about that.

I keep most cold/flu stuff on hand anyway. (I absolutely hate going shopping when I'm sick.) Now adding infant stuff, though.

One thing I like to keep in the freezer is containers of frozen chicken soup. Just thaw, reheat and add rice. I also always have chicken stock, too--I've been sick where I haven't wanted soup, but could at least hold down chicken stock/broth.

Sounds like you guys are ahead of me. I also try to keep a kit, but have gotten behind. I needed several things, esp. cough syrup. I'm getting things together and almost finished. Need to get some food together for us and for my animals, just in case I can't go to the store, since my dad can't. Some of my things had expired, so I'm replacing all new things.

The last thing I want to do when I'm sick is go shopping. The second to the last is to cook. Keeping soup and things I like to drink really makes a difference. I can usually handle soup, crackers or toast. I don't drink Gator Ade most of the time, but it's good for when nothing will stay in. Its taste isn't overpowering and it helps replenish electrolytes. I grab a bottle when I think the 'out go' is greater than the 'in go'. I hate the flu.

It doesn't have to be in the wintertime or flu season. My incident below happened in the summer.

When you are weak even the simplest meal can be nearly impossible to make. One time I gave blood and had a horrible reaction. I fainted in public in front of our library face first into the sidewalk. After about an hour I was able to drive home. It was only a mile or two. I got home and in the garage, but as soon as I got out of the car and stood up I got light headed. I passed out again in the doorway from the garage to house. It didn't last long and I crawled into the house. Among other things, I was very nauseous. I knew I had to eat. To open a can of soup and microwave it seemed to take me forever. I was weak, gaggy, shaky, sweating and fighting to stay upright. Every step of the way I had to lay back down on the kitchen floor to keep from passing out. I had to eat the soup on the floor because I didn't trust myself to carry it to the table. I ate the soup, a piece of bread and got something to drink. I was very glad I had a simple can of soup to get in me quick. I probably grabbed a hand full of crackers and spent the evening on the couch horizontal. I don't remember that part but I sure do remember trying to get a meal fixed in a hurry while sick as a dog. The next day I was just fine. Now I have home canned soup and can pop the top, microwave for 90 seconds and eat. I still keep Campbell's in the pantry though.

I know I'm preaching to the choir. We all know about being prepared for even the smallest 'disasters'. Right?