MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Disease: 10 Conditions That Will Become Far More Common After A Collapsel

Diseases come and diseases go…rather like fashions, but with diseases it’s the general conditions prevailing at the time that denotes what gets a foothold and what doesn’t. Many diseases are opportunists, they will surface at a time the conditions are right for them to flourish and most often this is at a time when humans really could do with concentrating on other stuff. Here are ten diseases that will make their presence felt after a major, long term,disaster be it war, societal collapse or in some cases even an economic downturn. Click the link to find much more detail about each disease.

1.Typhus:Typhus is spread by the body louse, it’s all around us, prevalent amongst the homeless and those living in unsanitary overcrowded conditions. The only reason we are not all infected with it is our ability to launder our clothes and clean our shoes, and that we can bathe regularly. History teaches us that typhus loves downturns and has been shown to surge during and after every major crisis be it war or a stock market crash.

2.Typhoid:Not to confused with typhus typhoid is caused by the bacteria salmonella typhi and is spread by contaminated food and water. It spreads quickly in overcrowded and/or unsanitary conditions.

3.Pellagra: Pellagra is caused by a lack of vitamin B3 and was endemic just a few decades ago, Those eating diets with low levels of B3 are at risk of suffering from pellagra. Its a debilitating disease that causes a slow and painful death.

4. Hantavirus: Hantavirus is caused by ingestion of dried mouse droppings that are commonly fund in sheds,cabins etc. It’s a serious disease that will kill if not treated promptly. In a situation where the mouse population can’t be controlled and contact with droppings is more frequent cases of Hantavirus will rise.

5. Bubonic Plague: Plague has two forms, bubonic and pneumonic. Bubonic plague is often fatal if left untreated, pneumonic plague is almost always fatal if left untreated. Both are spread by the bite of a rat flea. As with hantavirus if rodents can’t be kept under control the disease will spread. It causes agonizing swellings, often in the groin or armpits that are full of pus and black in colour, hence being called the black death.

6. Leptospirosis: Sticking with rodents did you know they are incontinent? Everywhere the rodent goes it leaks urine and most rodents carry leptospirosis. It is very common after major freshwater floods as the rodents move to higher and drier ground and come into more contact with humans. treatable with antibiotics but often fatal if not anything that moves rodents nearer people or people nearer rodents will cause an uptick in cases.

7. Chagas Disease: Chagas is caused by the reduviid bug that lives in hardened mud, adobe walls and loose/dirt flooring. It’s endemic in parts of Africa,India and South America. It causes debilitating illness and can lead to lifelong medical problems if not treated early.

8. Food Poisoning: There are many forms of food poisoning, the most lethal of which is Listeria, though it’s closely followed by E.Coli 157. The incidence of food poisoning will rise almost immediately there’s a grid down situation. The lack of refrigeration coupled with the possibility of food not being cleaned or cooked properly will guarantee an uptick in these debilitating and often fatal conditions.

9. Heart Attacks/Strokes: Heart attacks and strokes will surge after a collapse of any kind. Lack of blood pressure medication will cause the death of many but more still will die due to over exertion. They will be undertaking physical tasks they have never done before and for many the strain will simply be too much. Add cold weather to a collapse scenario and the situation is even more dire as the blood becomes cool and sticky and forms small clots that can lead to both heart attacks and strokes.

10. Emerging Diseases: Many new diseases are emerging, or have emerged over the last few years. There is still a great deal to find out about the mode of transmission, susceptibility and pandemic potential of diseases such as MERS-nCV, H5N1 and H7N9 both forms of avian flu, and other zoonotic diseases that pose a threat to humans.

Even the most simple of diseases could deal a deal blow in a post collapse world. The only definite way of avoiding the possibility of contracting something that could sicken, or even kill you and your family/survival group, is to avoid contact with other people. Sadly, for most people this will not be an option. venturing out of your chosen location and mixing with others will at some point become a necessity. There are a few things you can do to minimize the chances of contracting a disease when venturing out.

Wearing gloves when out and about will prevent you picking up germs on your hands. Be sure not to your nose or face until you have removed your gloves and washed your hands. Have as little physical contact with ‘outsiders’ as possible and consider wearing a face mask or a scarf over your nose and mouth. In addition to forming a physical barrier to many airborne contaminants it minimises the risks of hand to mouth contamination should you touch your face with contaminated fingers, be they gloved or not.

Make sure you remove outerwear, including footwear before re-entering your home. Mites, ticks,faeces etc picked up by your outer clothes will not make it indoors if you remove them and put them into a bucket with a lid. Shoes should be bagged before storing in the bucket. If the clothes are left in the bucket for seven days you can be pretty sure that whatever was on them has expired. ere are of course some things that can survive for an extended period, but unless you have enough clothes, bags and/or buckets to not re-use the clothes it is a risk that will have to be taken the next time you leave the house.

It’s a good idea to keep a tub of some kind full of bleach water just outside the door so that hands can be washed before entering. Pay particular attention to the area between the fingers, the tips of your fingers and your nails.

Check the seams and pockets of your clothes regularly to make sure there are no lice hiding away and inspect you body throughly if you have been out mixing with the population at large. Pay particular attention to armpits and groin as body lice favour warm moist areas when they feed.

Stock a huge supply of baby wipes, hand sanitizer gel and band aids use them if you have to go out and about. Germs can’t do you any harm if they can’t get into you and they usually get in via your mouth and nose or through a break in your skin.

This list, sadly is not exhaustive. In fact it doesn’t even scratch the surface of the diseases that are out there just waiting for a chance to strike. The single most important thing you can do to prevent the spread of disease in a crisis is to keep your hands clean and keep them away from your nose and mouth,

Kids are wonderful little germ factories picking up bacteria and happily spreading it around teaching them hand hygiene will help keep you all safe during everyday life…and even more so during a crisis when lack of medical assistance and access to medication means this simple action could be a lifesaver.

Contributed by Lizzie Bennett of Underground Medic

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/disease-10-conditions-that-will-become-far-more-common-after-a-collapse_052014#sthash.zrx8i1wU.dpuf

Edited by Midnightmom

One of the first will be the common cold and/or flu that becomes complicated due to lack of cleanliness etc. Empetigo will be there also. There's lots of "little" ailments that will become full blown emergencies long before some of the 3rd world diseases begin to emerge...in my opinion. Bleach is good...but will only be shelf stable for a length of time, that's why I keep the bleach tablets that I buy at WM. Isolating oneself is of paramount importance...but if you're going to be in a "community" then everybody has to be quarantined when they come in and again at the first sign of sniffles.

I remember someone getting chagas in Mississippi many years ago when I was young. I also remember my grandfather being hospitalized with Typhus in MS (around 1962 IIRC). He was drinking heavily at the time and not taking care of himself. (He later got right with the Lord and quit the drink.) Body and head lice are still a problem in all our public schools.

I remember reading how the mule drivers in the western states would take their clothes off and place them on ant hills overnight so the ants would eat all the nits.

Bed bugs are still a problem and they carry disease.

Food borne illness is a continuing problem now. Might not be a bad idea to keep activated charcoal in your personal kit that you carry at all times.

Many diseases were only recently brought under control by having strict regs on septic systems. Waterborne disease will be rampant when sewage treatment plants fall by the wayside. It is a good idea to get used to drinking on boiled water. The reason the Chinese were so popular for building the railroads is that they only drank hot tea and didn't get the diarrheal diseases that decimated the rest of the crews.

I'm not overly fond of vaccines, however, I do think that it would be wise to make sure yours are up to date before the coming collapse.

:animal0017: :animal0017: :animal0017: :animal0017: :animal0017:

Creepy thread......

Yeah, I know it's a reality we usually try not thinking about.

One of the things that God kept ringing in my mind many years ago....Don't Take Shortcuts!

It's very easy to let usual precautions lapse when life is TOUGH and you're tired, sore, hungry, and ...did I mention so tired you could sob?

CO has hantavirus and bubonic plague. It rises and falls but it's there. With modern medical support, you don't hear much about it. Without that..... :behindsofa:

MtRider :ph34r::dishes::clothesline::bathbaby::dusting::ph34r:

Far too little was known about septic tanks before they became so popular/required.

In our group, we did intensive study on why the water was polluted in certain areas. If we did not find the source we were facing massive government intervention. Our group divided into several branches.one spending days/weeks in the streams collecting samples testing etc. Others were researching etc. Fingers were pointed at the commercial broiler houses falsely! Nor was it from the huge number of commercial kennels! Not was it from spreading chicken litter on the soil! It was from human waste. I believe that septic tanks are the base for many diseases, talk to the ones that clean out the tanks and let them tell you what they find. And then where are they dumping their trucks?? If they are dishonest they will not care..... , you have a big enough property they will dump it on the back acres....... or if no one is looking.... in the creek....

Later it was also found to come from the chicken plant in the area but a big handful of money was passed under the table to kill that. The money guy at the chicken plant also broke up our clean water group and it turned into a strictly paid group that falsified info. With our info we could not push the fact of human waste without also pointing at the chicken plant. I do not know what happened to all the samples that were turned in ..we did get the test reports back in hard copy. They very well may have been destroyed by money.

The leach water from septic tanks leach into the water tables,.I do not care how careful YOU are there is always going to be someone that will do the unthinkable, that will try(and manage) to slip under the wire. I do not think the septic tanks were ever meant to take on the strong and stronger acids that are being used.

But as in driving you alway have to keep alert for what the other driver will do.....so it is with all things..you may be alright but one next to you may not care, be ignorant, unbelieving,etc.