MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Food safety question

Due to the hurricane that passed by recently, we were out of power for just short of 24 hours. (I want to say it was 22 hours)

The first is, there are three open jars of mayo in the fridge, most of which are still pretty full, but I also don't want to risk getting sick if the mayo isn't good anymore. Is there a way to tell?

The second thing is I have some things in the freezer. The ones I'm worried about is: some(raw) chicken, fish sticks, and homemade spaghetti sauce.

Glad to hear you are doing well and your power is back on Joan.

If the freezer did not unfreeze and items did not melt, they should be ok. However, if they began to melt, and refroze, they probably will not be any good.

I do not know of any way to tell if the mayo would still be good. If the frig stayed cool, I might try a taste if it still smelled ok. But, that's me.

Here we go!

• The refrigerator will keep food safe for about 4 hours if it is unopened. A full freezer will hold the temperature for approximately 48 hours (24 hours if it is half full) and the door remains closed.

So...I'd say chunk the fridge stuff and keep the freezer stuff if you kept them closed.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Preparing_for_Weather_Emergency/index.asp

If frozen food still has ice crystals it can be refrozen. The quality may suffer a bit, but it's still safe to eat. If refrigerated food has been above 41 degrees for more than a couple of hours, I would toss it. Of course, this doesn't apply to things like raw produce such as lettuce, tomatoes, etc.