MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Vacuum Seal and or Freezing Nuts and Coconut

Shoshana

I just opened a gallon of shredded coconut and I also have about 10 pounds of raw almonds and pecans. Normally I keep these things in the freezer....I have recently started vacuum sealing things into jars.

Question #1

Would these things keep in the pantry if vacuumed sealed and not in the freezer? I don't have AC and live in Oklahoma so my house is pretty hot and humid.

Question #2

Can you freeze a jar that has been vacuumed sealed? Would there be any benefit to doing that?

Thank you!

Vacuum sealed they should be fine because they are separated from air and moisture. You could still freeze them in the bags, but it really isn't necessary for those items. I would not recommend freezing glass jars because of the danger of breakage.

You would not vacuum seal and freeze the jars since they would break. Freezing glass jars otherwise is fine. You will see it on the side of Ball jars, freezing and canning jars.

You are better off using ziploc bags or vacuum seal bags and freezing the nuts and coconut for later.

Also, you are able to can nuts...

Thank you all....I have been trying to reply for a couple of days but have had lots of trouble visiting this site---lots of error messages.

I try to use as little plastic as possible, so bags are out.

I freeze in pint size glass freezer jars all the time without problems.

From the replies above it seems I have two options:

1. Freeze in the jars but don't vacuum seal first

2. Vacuum seal in jars and put in the pantry.

I have always stored nuts and coconut in the freezer..........a gallon of unsweetened coconut and 10 pounds of nuts is going to last a long time-----I am pretty new to vacuum sealing so am still a bit cautious......but I think I will try doing the vacuum sealing in jars and store in the pantry this time.

Thank you!

You would not vacuum seal and freeze the jars since they would break. Freezing glass jars otherwise is fine. You will see it on the side of Ball jars, freezing and canning jars.

You are better off using ziploc bags or vacuum seal bags and freezing the nuts and coconut for later.

Also, you are able to can nuts...

Maybe you could post a recipe for canning nuts. Being the canning newbie I am all over the canning nuts thing. Thanks.

Archived