MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Using a towel instead of a canning rack?

Carmen

I've seen where people have said you can use a folded up towel at the bottom of your canner instead of a rack..does this work? It'd seem like the boilding water would make the towel slip out of place. This in a water bath canner, btw.

I have used it several times when I have a few jars left over that won't fit into the canner. I fold it over a few times, depending on the pot and towel size. A bit of the towel will tend to float in the water but as soon as I put a jar in it works fine. I was concerned about burning the towel, no problem with that yet.

:wormie2:

John

You could use extra rings laid out evenly across the bottom, or butter knives if they lay flat, or another kind of rack. I prefer to have something that will allow water to flow around, but I've heard of others using towels.

You could use extra rings laid out evenly across the bottom, or butter knives if they lay flat, or another kind of rack. I prefer to have something that will allow water to flow around, but I've heard of others using towels.

I have used canning jar rings with good results.

Archived