MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

Oooooooops...part 7 got veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy long so I figured we'd start part 8...

I haven't been canning alot lately because I've been under construction, but I did manage to do a batch of wild blackberry jam. I'm also beginning to harvest my honey from my hives and while it is not traditionally canned, I do put it in canning jars lolol...

Here's a link to part 7 in case anyone wants to go back and reference that thread: http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36587

Yesterday I did 11 pints of whole cherries, the kids aren't crazy about them so that's plenty for the year. I just did four 1/2 pint jars of mint jelly, wow is it sweet, 4 cups sugar to 3 cups mint infusion. I'll do more if they kids will eat it otherwise my mint gets dried for tea. I'm just about to head outside to pick lavender and I'll try lavender jelly tomorrow.

Foxglove

I did 7 qts of beef stew last week. More on that in a minute-

I did 7 qts of the dill pickles from the 1st recipe in the Pickle recipe section. I can't wait to see how they taste!

* A quick question on the processing time for that tho. It says 3-5 min for one qt? Is that right? That's what I did but I thought it needed at least 10m?

* This was my first time doing beef anything. I ate some of it last night and ... it's not as good as I thought it would be. ): I used the recipe in the BBB for Beef stew. *sigh*... oh well... it's better than starving.

I'm looking at that recipe in the BBB and it says "Pints at 10 lbs., for 1 hour and 15 minutes, quarts at 10 lbs., for 1 hour 30 minutes in a steam pressure canner." This is from the 2009 edition.

I'm afraid it is not processed correctly.

:wormie2:

John

Today, 20 quarts "unbaked" baked beans...Yesterday 20 quarts Darlene's marinara sauce, 8 quarts, 1 pint "unbaked" beans, and 8 twelve oz., 1 eight oz. tame blackberry jelly.

Nothing today, but we went on a blackberry scouting trip. Went up the mountain were I lived before and where I met DH. I had a few very well hidden favorite places to get wild blackberries. There was a bad fire up there several years ago, but I found the place. Looks like its gonna be Blackberry Heaven. oooh yeah! The blackberries and raspberries and blueberries I planted won't produce a crop for a while. Now I just need to find a place to pick blueberries............pigz

Just wanted to mention something about the mint jelly I made yesterday. It tastes a lot like honey. I thought I might be imagining the taste but my husband, who didn't know the recipe, asked if I used honey to make it. The recipe was 3 cups mint infusion to 4 cups sugar so it's really sweet. I also used a box of pectin that I had bought in 2004 and it jelled perfectly, I'm glad to know that the expiry date is well beyond what it says on the box.

Foxglove

Hey MOM 11. What is "unbaked" baked beans? Is there a recipe somewhere that I missed? The vegetables and pickles have slowed down, so I think beans will be my next venture.

Hey MOM 11. What is "unbaked" baked beans? Is there a recipe somewhere that I missed? The vegetables and pickles have slowed down, so I think beans will be my next venture.

Welll.....Uhhhhh...I checked with boss first....Then made up my own recipe. My chicks LOVE baked beans, but the published/approved recipe for canning baked beans, calls for actually baking the beans, for up to 5 hours, then canning them..AND 3 tabs. of molasses, just wasn't going to be enough. Well....That procedure was a waste, with this big family. I asked Violet, how I could adjust the recipe and this is what I did...After all the soaking/boiling.....

I started with 2 gallons of dried white beans. These aren't navy beans, but a bit bigger and I bought them at the Mormon cannery. After they soaked, I filled the jars, with 1 cup of beans, then one 3/4 inch piece of salt back, then filled the jar 3/4 of the way to the top, with beans. I made a mixture of 6 quarts fresh water, 4 cups of molasses, 2 cups of maple syrup, 4 cups of brown sugar, 4 tabs. canning salt, and 3 tabs. powdered mustard. I had my chicks slice 20 small onions and I added them to the goop. I brought the mixture to boiling. I then put a small spoonful of the onions on top of the beans, and filled the jars, to 1 inch head space, with the hot goop. I pressure canned them for 90 minutes. I got 20 quarts and there was also some beans left, and lots of the onions and some goop, which I will just bake tomorrow. These beans are very sweet, which is the way these kids like them. They did not get mushy and I did the "bring to boiling and soak for an hour" and then "bring to boiling and boil for 30 mins." Smaller beans might have gotten mushy, but these are our first beans, so don't know.

The beans are juicy, and not dry. I plan to either bake these in the oven a bit or put in a crock pot, to thicken a bit. You could probably make them not so sweet, if you wanted. Also, I am sure they would be good with molasses and not the maple syrup. I have a case of 4 gallons of molasses and our dear Mennonite friends, gave us a gift of a gallons of fresh maple syrup, so I was lucky to have these ingredients, in such a large quantity.

I don't think my last reply made it so I'll try again. ANYHOW-- Thanks again mom11 for the fast reply. It sounds much more to my liking than the other ones I've found. I do have a silly sounding question that I've always wondered about. My family always got a thick cane syrup from a mill that we called molasses. And then there was a different one called "black strap" molasses. Can you describe what you are using in your beans?

I don't think my last reply made it so I'll try again. ANYHOW-- Thanks again mom11 for the fast reply. It sounds much more to my liking than the other ones I've found. I do have a silly sounding question that I've always wondered about. My family always got a thick cane syrup from a mill that we called molasses. And then there was a different one called "black strap" molasses. Can you describe what you are using in your beans?

I used molasses, that I buy in bulk, 4 gallon jugs, at a time. I was lucky to just have so much. I think what you are talking about is "sorghum." This is very popular here and people often call it molasses and use it the same. It is very good. I think if it is just a "sugar" and nothing added, you could use it, as you want. These beans are very sweet, but that is how my chicks like them. These kids are drinking them up. Only one jar didn't seal and they are quite disappointed. I've been taking the "leftovers" that didn't fit in the canners and letting them have them. I just put them in the electric pressure cooker, for 5 mins. and then eat those.

Don't be surprised, if your canner takes a long time to come to pressure and jiggle. This product is dense, so takes longer. Also takes a bit longer, for it to cool down. I thought I might have more of a problem, with seal failures, since this is such a sweet sauce and heavy product, but only one seal failure, out of 49 jars. It did take most of a day, to do each big batch of these beans, but I think it will be worth it. I want to do some bean soups next.