MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

poverty cooking

You can also use black beans to replace the flour in making brownies. 

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/black-bean-brownies/

Black Bean Brownies

TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD: 1 dozen

• 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 3 large eggs, room temperature
  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup baking cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions

• 1. Place the beans, 1/4 cup chocolate chips and oil in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Add eggs, brown sugar, cocoa, vanilla, baking powder and salt; cover and process until smooth.
  • 2. Transfer to a parchment-lined 8-in. square baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars
Edited by dogmom4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I found this.  Pinto Bean pie that tastes like pecan pie. There are a lot of versions, but basically put you make a flour crust, then the filing a can of pinto beans (or about 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans, a cup of brown sugar, 1/2 a stick of butter, 2-3 eggs, a few pinches each of Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Clove and a dash of vanilla, put the mixture into an unbaked pie and bake at 350 degrees for an hour.

• Like 5
  • 2 years later...
1 hour ago, TheCG said:

The 1940's Experiment 100 Wartime Recipes is now up to 193: https://the1940sexperiment.com/100-wartime-recipes/

Salad Dressing for Immediate Use

• Blend 1 level tablespoon of household milk powder with 1 level tablespoon of dried egg powder
    (just don’t sniff the dried egg or you’ll never use it again...)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, a little pepper and dried mustard powder
  • Add 1 tablespoon of water and 2 tablespoons of vinegar and mix until smooth and beat well until thickens a little
  • Place in fridge until chilled and then use

Found this recipe. I think it could be adapted to be a "Ranch" type dressing if you added some garlic and onion powder, some DILL weed, and use pickle juice instead of the vinegar. And, IF you happen to have some Buttermilk powder you could possibly cut down on the amount of dry milk. :cook:

As a matter of fact, if you make these subs you probably wouldn't even have to use the dried egg powder at all. :thumbs:

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...

Some good recipes above.  I have a book packed up right now, but as soon as I can get them out and back in bookcase, I will pull that one and put some recipes from the war days and poverty type cooking. Might be some good recipes in there that we all could use as things go south.

• Like 4

I love this thread too.  I need to find time to read the whole thing again.  Definitely a good time to search out more threads like this too. Thanks DM4.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...