MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Green Beans

GREENS BEAN ALMONDINE

Serves 6

1 pound fresh green beans (about 3 cups)

1 teaspoon light margarine

1/4 cup low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth

1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried, crumbled

Freshly ground pepper to taste

1 cup frozen pearl onions (about 4 ounces)

2 tablespoons sliced almonds

1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs

Trim green beans and slice into 2-inch sections.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat margarine over medium-high heat. Add green beans and sauti 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly so beans cook evenly.

Add broth, oregano, and pepper; sautee for 20 to 30 seconds.

Add onions. Cook, covered, over medium-low heat for 6 to 8 minutes, or until beans are tender-crisp.

Meanwhile, in a small nonstick pan over medium heat, dry-roast almonds, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle bread crumbs and almonds over cooked beans.

Cook s Tip on Fresh Green Beans: When green beans are in season, buy extra to freeze. Trim and slice beans. Blanch them in boiling water to cover by 1 inch for 1 minute. Remove them from the hot water and run them under cold water. Cool beans, then freeze them for up to 6 months. Thaw and use in this recipe as directed.

Calories: 66

Protein: 2 g

Carbohydrates: 10 g

Total Fat: 1 g

Saturated Fat: 0 g

Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g

Monounsaturated Fat: 1 g

Cholesterol: 0 mg

Sodium: 64 mg

• 7 years later...

I have I don't know how many qt. jars of string beans canned and my family just will not eat the things no matter HOW I cook them. They will eat one helping every now and then but that's it and then you have the rest of the jar that goes to waste. I HATE waste especially after all the work of putting them up. We all dearly LOVED the casserole recipe with the ritz crackers on top BUT now we're all gluten free so I have yet to find a replacement for that.

Does anyone have a gluten free casserole recipe with green beans? We all love onions that is cooked. I really need to use them.