MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Garlic Jelly - Water Bath Canned

I think I'm gonna start this weeks canning out with Garlic Jelly. I've never made it before, but the more I think about it, the more interesting it sounds. In the research I've done on it, I've seen where it is used as marinades to meats, or basted on meats as they're baking/grilling. I saw mention of taking a little of the garlic jelly, mixing it with soy sauce to be used as a teriyaki type marinade which looked good too, so from what I can tell, there are 2 methods of making a Garlic Jelly. I'll post both ways, and you can choose which one you prefer to do.

Garlic Jelly

1/2 c fresh garlic, finely chopped

2 c white wine vinegar

5 1/2 c sugar

3 c water

1 pk (2 oz.) powdered pectin

1/4 teas. butter or oil

2 drops food coloring (optional)

Combine garlic & vinegar in a 2 qt. kettle. Simmer mixture gently, uncovered, over med. heat for 15 min. Remove pan from heat & pour mixture into a 1 qt. glass jar. Cover & let stand at room temp. for 24-36 hours.

Pour flavored vinegar through a wire strainer into a bowl, pressing the garlic with the back of a spoon to squeeze out liquid. Discard any residue. Measure the liquid & add vinegar, if needed, to make 1 cup.

Measure sugar into a dry bowl. Combine the garlic-vinegar solution & the water in a 5 or 6 qt. kettle. Add pectin, stirring well. Over high heat, bring mixture to boil, stirring constantly to avoid scorching. Add sugar, & stir well. Bring mixture to a full, rolling boil. Add butter to reduce foaming. Continue stirring. Boil the mixture hard for exactly 2 min.

Remove pan from heat & skim off any foam. Add red, yellow or orange food coloring if desired. Pour jelly into prepared glasses. Seal according to directions on recipe folder in pectin package.

Makes approx. 5 cups.

~~~~~

Garlic Jelly II

2 Tablespoons butter

1/2 cup fresh garlic, chopped fine

2 cups cider vinegar

5 1/2 cups sugar

1 package Certo

In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic. Cook until garlic is light golden in color, stirring constantly.

Remove garlic from pan and place in pot. Add sugar and vinegar. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.

Stir in pectin. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and skim off foam. This will prevent the jelly from crystalizing a few months down the road.

Ladle jelly into hot canning jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe rims to remove any spillage, place lids on and place in boiling water canner.

Be sure all jars are covered with water. Return to a boil and process for 10 minutes. At altitudes over 1000 feet, process for 20 minutes. Remove jars and let sit overnight.

Variations

Herb and Garlic Jelly

Add 1/2 cup fresh chopped Parsley with the vinegar.

Add 1/4 cup fresh chopped Basil with the vinegar.

Add 1/4 cup fresh chopped Rosemary with the vinegar.

Garlic Wine Jelly

Substitute 1 1/2 cups dry white wine plus 1/2 cup white vinegar for the cider vinegar.

~~~~~

I think I'm going to make version II this time...wish me luck!

Ok, I finally got it done. I hafta say the kitchen smells AWESOME so I'm excited to try it after it sets over night.

To start out with, I peeled the fresh garlic. What I do, and what is a very easy way to peel garlic, is I take my butcher knife, flat side down over the piece of garlic and hit the palm of my hand on the side of the blade to break the garlic a little.

(see attached)

107524-HomeCanning200.jpg

After 10 minutes, I took the jars off and they are not cooling on my counter...I can't wait to try it. I'm going to try the homemade teriyaki marinade made with 2T of the garlic jelly and 1/2 cup of soy sauce...it's making my mouth water just thinking about it! lol

This was fun...thanks for the idea Wickie!

107533-HomeCanning209.jpg

Quote:
I'm not that far over the edge.

but you are admitting that you *are* over the edge...just not that far! is that what you are saying?

so therefore, Wickie, tell your husband, Yes, she is over the edge! and her idea of how far may differ from his idea of how far. Of course I know how far... did you read her newest post in the crafts forum? I mean, if after reading *THAT* and you don't think Darlene has lost it.. then you are standing next to her... 'not that far over the edge'!

While *I* am standing on the *other* side of that edge... a lot farther from *Her* side of the edge. I touched the edge once and ended up with a Batman bandage.
  • 2 weeks later...

wow...this sounds awsome! darlene, you peel garlic the same way i do! i took cooking classes when i was a new mom(17 or 18 years old at the time) and that is how i was taught. my cooking teacher (Velma) hates garlic presses, she refuses to use them. lol so she taughtme how to make a very fine garlic paste using the flat of the knife and salt. its awsome for garlic butter.

could i use this recipe for other spices, like making ginger jelly? just use ginger instead of garlic? i would be great on toast with honey! what if you added lemon zest to ginger jelly?

i have never eally canned much before, and so i am just kinda getting ideas, let me know if they are too far off the wall!

shall i assume that one package of certo is the same as one package of berNARdin?

• 5 months later...

i am adding parsly, cilantro, and hot peppers. do i need to adjust processing time, or amounts? it is the first recipe i am using, so it is sitting in the vinegar on the counter untill saturday. i like making the jelly.

exellent!

thanks!

No, I'm not concerned about that...I use large knives to whack...well actually I'll use just any knife but prefer the larger ones.

I guess I've been doing it for so many years that it's not anything I worry about.