MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

SOMEbody has too much time on their hands...

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/08/06/haker-rolljam-device-can-steal-your-car-keys-open-your-garage/?intcmp=hpbt1

Hacker's RollJam device can steal your car keys, open your garage

Your remote car key isn’t a key. It's billions of them.

It doesn’t have just one secret code to your car. That’d be too easy for someone to electronically intercept, copy and use.

Instead, your car key uses what’s known as “rolling code.” Every time you press the button, a new, randomly generated code is sent over a radio frequency to your car, which has a synchronized code generator that recognizes it and then burns it so it can never be used again. The key and the car then create new codes for the next time around, and the process repeats.

In case the two ends get out of sync -- say your kid grabs the keys when they’re out of range and presses the button a bunch of times -- the car can recognize a few hundred future codes. When it receives one of them, it disables all the prior ones.

It’s a proven system that’s secured tens of millions of cars and remote garage door openers for years. And now it may be useless.

White-hat hacker Samy Kamkar, who last week cracked GM’s OnStar smartphone app security and demonstrated his ability to illicitly unlock and start a car over a cellular network, has developed a device made from $20 worth of parts that he calls the RollJam, which does exactly what its name implies.

[article continues....]

I know that electronic entry cars can be unlocked ...by remote...by calling your company if you've locked yourself out. Saw that done and it made me VERY uncomfortable. Means there is a 'back door'. I think all computer systems have 'back doors'. Makes fixing them easier but......

MtRider .....we live with an illusion of security. Previous generations were pretty sure they were NOT secure despite the castle moats, draw bridge, etc.

Kind of goes along with the post I made in another forum.

Car Hacking:

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=51754

A couple of times my garage door has been activated when I wasn't near it. Twice it went up during the day and once it came down. The time it came down scared me more than when it went up because I could have been outside doing yard work and been locked out. I have a key hidden outside but I'd have to dig for it. I keep a spare house key on the ring with the mower key and I always try to remember to unlock the front door when I go out the garage door. I've heard that there are different combinations to garage doors and if you are on the same one as a neighbor then they can operate your door with their opener. I don't know how true that is now, that was back in the 90's.

Kind of goes along with the post I made in another forum.

Car Hacking:

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=51754

A couple of times my garage door has been activated when I wasn't near it. Twice it went up during the day and once it came down. The time it came down scared me more than when it went up because I could have been outside doing yard work and been locked out. I have a key hidden outside but I'd have to dig for it. I keep a spare house key on the ring with the mower key and I always try to remember to unlock the front door when I go out the garage door. I've heard that there are different combinations to garage doors and if you are on the same one as a neighbor then they can operate your door with their opener. I don't know how true that is now, that was back in the 90's.

Jeeps...there's a little magnetic box you can buy and you can put your keys in it, and you can stick it anywhere that's the right kind of metal. There's also what they call a "key safe" (we have one on Abby's kennel, one on our storage room here, and one on the back door of the Homestead's house)...we buy ours at Menard's. Worth their weight in gold IF you're locked out of anything. It hangs on your door knob, on your fence, about anywhere you can hang anything. You program (or re-program) your own combination. Looks like a huge padlock :-)