MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Happy Birthday crazycanner, mommy magic, & windmorn

Shadow

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone! Sorry I'm late in saying it! DD was throwing up for 17 days and we never figured out why. She'd gone to public high school and missed several days. I put her in the virtual school for about a week while we tried to figure it out. That was a mistake. The work load was ridiculous. She was finally able to go back Wednesday after not throwing up for 3 days. So far so good. Knock on wood!

Windmorn, did you check her blood sugar? She may have been in DKA if it wasn't flu, Did you bring her to a doctor? I imagine that she was very dehydrated. Please have her screened for diabetes. This is one of those things that very well could be a serious indicator and if its ignored it can be quite fatal, very fast. I hope she is feeling better but please get her screened and blood tests done for A1C and such for diabetes with a good doctor. Just to be sure it is not the case, but I see this happen and kids coming back home diagnosed with juvenile Type 1 diabetes all the time in the group I am on in FB. Teens and kids diabetes is a very sensitive and often critical management need compared to many adult diabetics. Hormones affect it more too. The A1C test will give an average of blood sugar for 3 months or 6 months period. One finger stick and blood sugar check is not enough but if its first thing in the morning or more than two hours after a meal and no sodas or anything since the meal, it can be one piece of a puzzle to fill in and if its over 120 , fasting, I would definitely have her in the docs office pronto. With DKA it can read so high the meter would just say high. AS in 500+ on many commonly sold blood glucose monitors sold in walmart and such. Ive seen teens talking about when they went to ER with blood sugar as high as 1200 and in DKA, vomiting being one major sign. So please get her screened as it doesn't seem to just be a bout of flu if it was going on for over 2 weeks. Even chronic dehydration many of us barely notice can set it off if you are diabetic.

Anything over 5.5 on the A1C is something to watch, if its over 6. 5 shes probably a diabetic. Or becoming one. This can change within months to full blown.

If she is, the sooner she learns how to take care and if she needs insulin, then the sooner she can stabilize and learn to manage it.

Of course, she could just be allergic to some food just introduced ?