MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Re-using mylar type bags?

Had a family member buy the kids some Cheeto's and after the bag was emptied and I looked inside and wondered can you re-use these? Are they safe to use for food? Might save some money if they worked. Not that we get them all the time, but hey if it's free we might as well use everything. :rolleyes:

Jingles,

The bags work great to save and use for patting out hamburger patties, things like that on. I cut them open. My daughter and I use them for dropping out no bake cookies on.

You can save the bag and use it for coating meats, chicken, etc.

I don't think I would reuse for sealing up, but for other things, sure. Why waste money if you have these to use for things ?

My dh thinks I am strange for doing this, but it does save money.

Jingles,

The bags work great to save and use for patting out hamburger patties, things like that on. I cut them open. My daughter and I use them for dropping out no bake cookies on.

You can save the bag and use it for coating meats, chicken, etc.

I don't think I would reuse for sealing up, but for other things, sure. Why waste money if you have these to use for things ?

My dh thinks I am strange for doing this, but it does save money.

Does the flavor of the previous item would come out on whatever you use the bag for? Just can't really think of coating chicken in a bag that once held a cinnamon or honey flavored cereal. we are getting ready for a BBQ in June and I will be making a lot of hb patties. Sure would be nice to use these instead of waxed paper to separate the patties in the freezer. I want to make them ahead of time and freeze. More time to visit with out-of-town company and any we don't use will stay frozen for later use.

Scrubbie,

I also wash mine off. I cut the open, then wash and dry. Never had any problem with flavors. They really are the best between burgers. They don't get soggy or rip like wax paper and not flimsy like plastic wrap. I wish you could buy that plastic stuff on a roll. I also use bread sacks cut up, too, but using the unprinted side, of course.

• 3 years later...

These may be older postings, but thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in. I re-seal my mylar-type bags with my flat iron hair curler, set low enough not to burn through. Great for re-using for popcorn etc. The old saying..."a penny saved is a penny earned"!

• 2 weeks later...