MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Parents beware of child's respiratory virus

Well kids usually get more colds than adults because adults have the immunities from when they were kids. Plus kids are in school. I have never been sick so often as when I worked with young children in preschool and public school. There's always things that the kids get and the adults don't because they got it as kids. Also, transfer is greater with kids than adults because adults are more able to understand and follow things like hand washing and not touching your eyes etc. Plus if it's not hitting adults hard, they won't be going to the doctor.. they'll just call it another cold and stay home (hopefully) a few days and be done with it. And even if this is something "new" it may be similar enough to something adults would have had years ago that they're not getting it now.

I just don't understand how adults could develop immunities to something. Measles, chickenpox, etc.....we've previously had it. But a virus like cold/flu.....that doesn't happen. Adults who haven't had measles, etc WILL get it as adults.

MtRider :scratchhead: ....just not catching a flowing picture of cause on this.... Not that I'm a doc or anything, but it's got me curious.

Yes....three points of interest in this article:

1) They said children are the most prone to get this.....as opposed to ONLY children getting this. That makes more sense to me...I guess.

Used to be that children under....18 (?) could not go into hospitals at all. I was 15 when my dear aunt was admitted... :(

2) That notation about soap/water and NOT hand sanitizer..... Vital information, indeed, Jeepers.

3 ) Obviously...children with asthma are at much greater risk [i'd put any child with asthma in quarantine before they got sick...til this is over].

MtRider ....thanks gofish :thumbs:

actually including teens now too......... http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/09/13/enterovirus-d68-makes-its-way-to-northeast-officials-confirm/

I think any of us who have breathing problems or immune weaknesses from autoimmune stuff, or sensitive respiratory stuff, asthma should be careful.

viruses mutate .......... it sounds like it already is if its including older children.

Kansas City, chicago, CT, NY states and several samples still needing testing to confirm from midwestern states.

I don't just wash my hands with soap and water, I wash my face and neck too and forearms when I come in from public stuff like shopping.

I started doing this even when at home to deal with hay fever, pollens in the air. but also because I am touching stuff someone else touched at market and around alot of other people . Not fanatic about it but it probably helps? If someone comes same day I am at mha and they are hacking and sneezing and have a respiratory infection , I do that when I get home. I have skipped getting those illnesses already around here , partly due to that. ( I am very susceptible at times and knowing I am recovering from one of my weakest most ill and out of whack series of years I have ever had, makes me at least attempt to be more mindful.

with ebola floating around and spreading , and many of the illegals are being sent to schools without health checkups first from what I hear, I will be more mindful. Now its leaf peeping season or almost.............new influx of folks from NYC and cities like Boston and such. I try to be aware of that.

More thorough cleaning at home for more surfaces..... some of its little stuff like that . Just being more mindful might make the difference if it mutates or kids you know get it and you are around it.

I do get asthma attacks sometimes. So. I don't want to push my luck?

Bless those who nurse these ill children. Bless the teachers and school staffs and sunday school teachers and such who do a lot with children right now and the extra energy it takes and time, and the families.

But now it definitely is making teenagers ill. so, maybe it is mutating to older folks as it travels?

OK, wait. The latest one says that the children up to age 16 had a history of asthma & wheezing. Did I miss where it said that there are others? The first big story was indeed a 13 year old, but he was also asthmatic.

I am exhausted (for many reasons today), so feel free to point out if I did miss that it was teens in general. Blergh.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/unidentified-respiratory-virus-hit-kids-country/story?id=25334106

This is an enterovirus. There are several strains that float around, most of them adults have been exposed to and are more common so we are more likely to have immunity. Most of them do not have respiratory symptoms so it wouldn't seem like the same illness by outward symptoms. Children and anyone with asthma should be aware and seek treatment if cold symptoms develop and they become short of breath. Seek Dr's treatment sooner than normal if you are vulnerable and have these symptoms. Important to note that if treatment if sought out the recovery rate is very good. Oxygen and fluids are usually enough to help these pts.

Edited by Becca_Anne