3 medium potatoes peeled and chopped

4 sticks of celery, peeled and chopped

4 large carrots, peeled and chopped

optional, 1 cup of peas

1/4 tsp. tumeric

1/2 tsp cumin

3 gloves of crushed garlic

1/4 teaspoon curry powder

in a large dutch oven put lentils and 5 cups of water. Add tumeric, cumin and curry powder, bring to a boil. Let simmer for half an hour until lentils get mushy. Add salt to taste at this point. Add all the chopped veggies cook for 20 to 25 minutes at medium heat. Stir often so ti doesnt stick.

In a small frying pan add 2 tablespoons of butter at medium heat. add the garlic and saute for a minute. add the chopped onions, saute for 2 minutes. add this to the soup.

Optional: add a large chopped tomato at the end.

This recipe was given to me by an older indian lady who learned it from her mom. It tastes AMAZING and my kids love it, and it freezes very well!

Chicken Curry

6-8 pieces of cicken, doesnt matter what part. lol I use breast.

4 large potatoes peeled and chopped

1 large onion, chopped

3tbs. veggie oil

4 heaped tablespoons of curry powder

4 cloves of garlic, crushed

1/4 inch of ginger root, peeled and finely grated

3 tbs. coconut milk

in a large pot add oil on high heat. when oil is hot turn down heat to medium and add the garlic and ginger. saute for a minute. add chopped onion and saute for another minute or 2. add cury powder and saute for 1/2 a minute, DONT let it brown too much. pour in 1/2 cup of water and mix. Add chicken pieces to the curry gravy. add salt if desired. Cover and let cook for 15 to 20 minutes. add the potatoes and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken and potatoes are cooked through. at the end, add 3 tbs. of coconut milk, mix and remove from heat.

This recipe comes from the same indian lady who gave me the soup recipe. I usually add far more coconut milk for a creamier curry with more sauce so that we can pour it over rice. Also, I like to use sweet pottoes or yams instead of regular white potatoes. I also add a little bit of brown sugar when i add the curry.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Wondering how many lentils to add to this soup. Since it has 3 potatoes I would think maybe 2 cups or so? Thank you for sharing these recipes because we (my whole family) LOVES Thai cooking.